Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2016, 01:56 PM

4 posts, read 2,690 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone-

I've been lurking in this forum for a while and really appreciate how helpful you all are. I have never posted anything like this before- so I hope I am doing this right!

We are a military family (likely) relocating to the Greenville area next summer. We consider all orders as unconfirmed until our household goods are on a truck

We will have a second grader who is very bright and also carries diagnoses of anxiety/ ADHD. We are trying to figure out the best school placement. Currently he is in a mainstream classroom in Fairfax VA and receives push in/ pull out supports and is doing really well there.

We have heard that special education services are different in Greenville and that we will need to carefully navigate this transition. There isn't a base in Greenville, so we don't have the usual contacts within the military community EFMP offices. And I am having trouble getting anyone to call me back from the county school office. So I thought maybe you all could help.

Does anyone have a school recommendation based on personal experience where the principal/ faculty/ staff support inclusion for kids with this profile?

We are open to any area in Greenville- we will choose our home location based on the best fit for schools.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2016, 03:25 PM

7,266 posts, read 4,684,894 times
I believe Donaldson Center just south of Greenville used to be a base many years ago, and still services military aircraft today by third parties (Lockheed Martin, etc). But as you mentioned likely no longer has military relocating help or official presence I'm assuming .

Not sure on the schools but keep in mind there are also a fair amount of private schools (most religious I believe) so there may be additional options inside Greenville County and surrounding areas.

Last edited by Psychoma; 11-11-2016 at 03:52 PM..

Old 11-11-2016, 07:36 PM

That is good to know about private schools. Are there any in particular that anyone knows of that are effective with kids like this?

Also we are Catholic, so would that be an issue at religious schools? Where we are now it is no big deal, we have many religions represented at our parish school. But I realize that might not be true everywhere. And I don't want to offend anyone by making uncomfortable queries to schools.

Thanks for any guidance you all can provide!

Old 11-14-2016, 05:23 PM

Thanks to those who have responded. I have a few more questions I am hoping someone can weigh in on:

I am working on a short list of elementary schools to tour when I am in town- would the following be strong candidates for supporting twice exceptional kids (gifted with learning differences)? Are there others folks would suggest I tour?
-Oakview
-Augusta Circle
-Sara Collins
-Mauldin

Are there any listservs or other places where parents of kids with special needs discuss the services available? This is the one I am familiar with to give you an idea of where I am coming from.
http://www.dcurbanmom.com/jforum/forums/show/36.page

Thanks for any suggestions!

Old 11-15-2016, 02:50 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,320,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMilMom View Post
That is good to know about private schools. Are there any in particular that anyone knows of that are effective with kids like this?

Also we are Catholic, so would that be an issue at religious schools? Where we are now it is no big deal, we have many religions represented at our parish school. But I realize that might not be true everywhere. And I don't want to offend anyone by making uncomfortable queries to schools.

Thanks for any guidance you all can provide!
There are 2 private catholic schools in Greenville if that is what you are looking for. I don't have any personal experience with navigating the schools for your situation so I apologize that I can't help on that front.

Old 11-15-2016, 05:10 PM

Oh goodness- I did not mean to imply that we were looking for catholic schools. They are on the list, but I wanted to cast a wide net right now.

We are open to any schools that are effective with this profile of child. (I just wasn't sure if it would be appropriate for a catholic family to apply to schools with other religious affiliations.)

So if anyone out there has any suggestions of private schools regardless of affiliations, I would love to hear about them!

I found that Christ Church Episcopal School seems to have some good supports available so I am going to engage with them. I was also looking at Augusta Cirlce and Oakview as possible public options.

We will decide where to live based on the school supports available. So all suggestions are welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area