Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 07:56 PM

126 posts, read 138,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Neighborhood of 3k people? That's larger than many towns here. And no SK homes are not anywhere close to McMansions, they're the epitome of middle to upper middle class nice family neighborhoods, usually on 1/2 acre lots with tons of kids. Most neighborhoods here have lots of kids, but they won't be able to ride your bike to school here, the infrastructure wasn't set up for that. If you're used to sidewalks everywhere, you'll be disappointed, because other than downtown and some other pockets, they're few and far between here, that was a major adjustment for us as we came from a place where we parked our car all weekend and walked to the mall, restaurants, bookstore, Ikea, etc.
Sorry by neighborhood of 3k I meant small incorporated township that sits directly adjacent to a larger town

I am not opposed to the SK built neighborhoods necessarily but wondered if there was any infrastructure similar to my current area is all. Thank you for better describing the layout there.

The main things are the kid's safety, friendly neighbors, and relative closeness to basic needs, and proximity to the outdoors/mountains which it seams the blue ridge area offers. We can't wait to come down and see the area first hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2016, 08:01 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,101,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pryde1 View Post
Sorry by neighborhood of 3k I meant small incorporated township that sits directly adjacent to a larger town

I am not opposed to the SK built neighborhoods necessarily but wondered if there was any infrastructure similar to my current area is all. Thank you for better describing the layout there.

The main things are the kid's safety, friendly neighbors, and relative closeness to basic needs, and proximity to the outdoors/mountains which it seams the blue ridge area offers. We can't wait to come down and see the area first hand.
It's very family oriented here. We're at the end of a cul-de-sac and I have a 9 year old a 5 year old daughters and there's like 15 kids that all come out and play on any given day in our 50 home subdivision.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:40 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,294,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pryde1 View Post
Again we currently live in a fully-connected neighborhood of about 3k people and kids ride their bikes to school, friends houses, general store etc. without being on/near very busy roads. Not sure what might fit a similar bill down there but we certainly are looking forward to checking it out.
There's nothing remotely similar to that in this area. If you're looking for something similar to what you already have, my advice would be to stay where you are now.

This is a rural area that has grown quite a bit in the last 20 years or so. A lot of that growth is through those "cookie cutter" type subdivisions. There are older more established neighborhoods near downtown Greenville but that wouldn't fit most of your listed criteria. There are newer neighborhoods that are quality homes by local builders but most of those are 10-20 years old. A lot of the local builders got killed during the housing crash. SK is one of the few local outfits left and the little bit I've seen of their homes makes me think they are a step above most of the mass national builders.

We bought a house that was close to 20 years old when we moved here because it was quality built by a local builder that has since retired. That level of quality in a new home would have been way outside of our budget.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:06 AM

58 posts, read 64,699 times
We just moved into Greer and when I say just, I mean the moving truck pulled into our driveway last Monday. We are in the Sugar Creek subdivision which has 3 pools and some tennis courts. So far we have seen tons of kids and the neighbors have all been very friendly, much more so than our neighbors in MI.

One of the reasons we chose this area is because of the school ratings - Riverside High, Northwood Middle, and Buena Vista Elementary. Today is the first day for my 10th, 7th, and 4th graders (we also have a 3 year old) so I can't tell you too much about the schools yet but everyone has been friendly and welcoming.

Another reason we chose it, is because it is very similar to what we are accustomed to where we lived in Michigan which was about 25 miles north of Detroit. Within 15 minutes, we can be to any store/restaurant that we could possibly need/want to go to as well as the zoo and the Children's museum.

We wanted to be in an area that felt nature-like but close to everything with good schools and I think we found that. We only have roughly a third of an acre but a creek runs through our yard and there are woods behind our house. We haven't seen them yet but the neighbors tells us there are lots of deer and other wildlife that roam through the yards. I think Greer is going to be a great place for us to finish raising our children.

Old 11-28-2016, 11:58 AM

126 posts, read 138,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
There's nothing remotely similar to that in this area. If you're looking for something similar to what you already have, my advice would be to stay where you are now.

This is a rural area that has grown quite a bit in the last 20 years or so. A lot of that growth is through those "cookie cutter" type subdivisions. There are older more established neighborhoods near downtown Greenville but that wouldn't fit most of your listed criteria. There are newer neighborhoods that are quality homes by local builders but most of those are 10-20 years old. A lot of the local builders got killed during the housing crash. SK is one of the few local outfits left and the little bit I've seen of their homes makes me think they are a step above most of the mass national builders.

We bought a house that was close to 20 years old when we moved here because it was quality built by a local builder that has since retired. That level of quality in a new home would have been way outside of our budget.
Its all good and the tract homes are not a deal breaker. I have seen some nice areas on google street view so we are looking forward to checking them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2ncjd View Post
We just moved into Greer and when I say just, I mean the moving truck pulled into our driveway last Monday. We are in the Sugar Creek subdivision which has 3 pools and some tennis courts. So far we have seen tons of kids and the neighbors have all been very friendly, much more so than our neighbors in MI.

One of the reasons we chose this area is because of the school ratings - Riverside High, Northwood Middle, and Buena Vista Elementary. Today is the first day for my 10th, 7th, and 4th graders (we also have a 3 year old) so I can't tell you too much about the schools yet but everyone has been friendly and welcoming.

Another reason we chose it, is because it is very similar to what we are accustomed to where we lived in Michigan which was about 25 miles north of Detroit. Within 15 minutes, we can be to any store/restaurant that we could possibly need/want to go to as well as the zoo and the Children's museum.

We wanted to be in an area that felt nature-like but close to everything with good schools and I think we found that. We only have roughly a third of an acre but a creek runs through our yard and there are woods behind our house. We haven't seen them yet but the neighbors tells us there are lots of deer and other wildlife that roam through the yards. I think Greer is going to be a great place for us to finish raising our children.
Congrats on the move and thank you for the insight on Sugar Creek. Riverside is one of the schools on our radar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area