Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 12:27 PM

143 posts, read 206,850 times

Advertisements

I visited the MacShore Factory Outlet store yesterday and there is a small sign on their front door that the Store is Closing, and all items are an additional 40% off. The staff inside that the third generation owner has decided to retire, and sold the property to QT for another gas station.

She said that the original plan was to move the factory to a location on Whitehorse Road, but the plans "fell through" and the factory workers were told last week that they were all losing their jobs.

I haven't seen anything written by the media about this closing.

Sigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 12:54 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Default Macshore, 2836 Laurens Road, Greenville, South Carolina 29607-5226

I thought Macshore had already closed.

Old 12-11-2016, 02:28 PM

No, part of the factory was closed, but they still had a portion of it where they were sewing....
It has been neglected and the owners apparently had no family succession plan. There was an apparent attempt to sell the manufacturing assets, the product line, and give the workers a place of employment on White Horse Road, but "it fell through".

They have great deals in the Factory Outlet if you need bedding, pillows, duvet covers, outdoor cushions, zippers, tassels, and remnant fabric. They have a lot of curtain panels available, packaged as "Crate & Barrel". They are all reasonably priced, and now offer an additional 40% off, until they close on 12/31/2016.

If you are crafty and can find a use for assorted buttons, they are being sold for $1.00 a baggie (choose your own). They have a LOT of buttons.

The demise of American manufacturing is sad to witness locally.
(Just my opinion).... it is apparent that the owner had neglected to update and modernize the factory for many years, and had a blind eye to marketing locally. (I, too, thought that it was closed down, but the staff at the Outlet store told me that they still manufacture in part of the factory.)

We happened to turn into the parking yesterday afternoon and were greeted by a dilapidated business sign, proclaiming: "DONT LET THESE BUILDINGS FOOL YOU
LOW OVERHEAD MEANS BIG SAVINGS".

At one point, this corner of Laurens Rd was a booming enterprise, and no matter the reasons, the buildings will be razed for another QT.

It will be a great location for a gas station.
Attached Thumbnails
MacShore Factory is Permanently Closing in Greenville-macshoreoutlet.jpg  

Old 12-11-2016, 04:49 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,254,427 times
I'm with CK on that.. Building was so dilapidated that I just assumed it was already closed.

Old 12-11-2016, 05:59 PM

Default Macshore, 2836 Laurens Road, Greenville, South Carolina 29607-5226

I recall going to Macshore in the 1990's. Most items in the outlet store were women's clothing and linens.

Old 12-11-2016, 08:49 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Someone should probably build a hotel down that direction. Am I mistaken or is the only hotel that old.. I don't know what it is now, but it was a HoJo Express a number of years ago and the Red Roof Inn which is quite shady as well.

A nice hotel (Think Hampton Inn) in that area would probably be welcome by the folks out at ICAR.

Old 12-12-2016, 05:06 AM

The property is already sold to Quick Trip.
(The Bojangles down Laurens Road is being rebuilt nearby, and the original Bojangles, along with the Baileys/Fox and Hound, are being torn down for another Quick Trip).

I have lived here for 5 years, and I never knew that the Outlet store was open until Saturday. Who knew that Crate and Barrel drapes were sewn right here in Greenville?

Old 12-12-2016, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pertmm View Post
The property is already sold to QuikTrip.
(The Bojangles down Laurens Road is being rebuilt nearby, and the original Bojangles, along with the Baileys/Fox and Hound, are being torn down for another QuikTrip).
This is the first I am hearing of another QuikTrip opening on Laurens Road. Two stores nearby is a smart move.

Old 12-12-2016, 08:19 AM

4,601 posts, read 6,016,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pertmm View Post
The property is already sold to Quick Trip.
(The Bojangles down Laurens Road is being rebuilt nearby, and the original Bojangles, along with the Baileys/Fox and Hound, are being torn down for another Quick Trip).

I have lived here for 5 years, and I never knew that the Outlet store was open until Saturday. Who knew that Crate and Barrel drapes were sewn right here in Greenville?
That is not an easy in and out for QT at Laurens and Haywood. Pretty much impossible left turn into that property much of the day however there is the road behind it before the shopping center.

Me too on the Crate and Barrel. How about a store here C&B?

Old 12-12-2016, 08:25 AM

From Laurens Road, a left turn onto Haywood Road, then a right turn onto Old Woodruff Road could get you into a future QuikTrip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area