Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 10:27 AM

12 posts, read 39,369 times

Advertisements

I am moving with my family to the Greenville area this summer, and we are planning to visit over the Easter weekend. I was wondering if i could get some specific information on what i should look at or see. Also what are the best area's to live, i have children in elementry school and will only consider the best school districts. We are looking for a newer home in the 200- 300k range. Any help here would be greatly apprietiated, the more specific the better. Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 02:39 PM

511 posts, read 1,523,617 times
Could you be a little more specific. Ex- how long of a commute to your job are you willing to do? What other things are important to your family besides schools?

Old 03-06-2008, 01:30 AM

5,595 posts, read 15,393,841 times
My recommendations include (but are not limited to):
  • Powdersville (http://www.powdersville.com/default.aspx - broken link)-Wren - Anderson School District 1 (http://asd1.schoolwires.com/asd1/site/default.asp - broken link)
  • Simpsonville/Five Forks/Pelham-Batesville
Are you interested in private schools? If you could provide at least a small bit of extra information, I am sure we could help you find the most suitable locations to look.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:13 AM

3 posts, read 13,266 times
Default Moving to upstate

Quote:
Originally Posted by floofy View Post
I am moving with my family to the Greenville area this summer, and we are planning to visit over the Easter weekend. I was wondering if i could get some specific information on what i should look at or see. Also what are the best area's to live, i have children in elementry school and will only consider the best school districts. We are looking for a newer home in the 200- 300k range. Any help here would be greatly apprietiated, the more specific the better. Thank You.
ANSWER:
I have lived in the upstate almost all of my life. It is getting too crowded now any way you turn. I have a house for sale in Clinton, SC (45 minutes from Greenville) which has lower taxes, a college right in the middle of the town (Presbyterian College), my child rode her bike to school. And yet Greenville is accessible and so is Columbia. Thi sis the new market for those moving to SC. Call about the house 982 2423.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:17 AM

179 posts, read 516,971 times
I live in Gilder Creek Farms in the Simpsonville/Five Forks Area. It is a fairly new neighbhorhood (3 years old). It has a pool, small playground and very friendly. Even though it is off of Woodruff it does not have the same congestion as the other parts of Woodruff. The schools are Bells Crossing Elementary, Riverside Middle and Mauldin High. My kids are not in school yet but I hear they are all good ones.

Directions (easiest not quickest):
Take 385 towards simpsonville
Get off on Woodruff and take a left.
Go down past Wal-mart, past McDonalds, past Southside Christian, keep going
when you find a Rite-Aid on your right turn onto Scuffletown Road
Follow down and take a left onto Gresham Road (man selling palm trees will be on your right).
Take first entrance into Gilder Creek Farms (Braeburn Drive).

I have seen a few For Sale Signs up.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:21 PM

12 posts, read 39,369 times
Default Thanks for the reply's

Hi, sorry I have not answered the specifics. I have not been on here all week. We want a family friendly area that has a nice neighborly feel. We are still working on the job situation, so I am not sure exactly where we will be, but would be willing to commute if we find the right community. We are split between a sub division that has a pool and ammenities, or getting land for the three boys.

We would like to get involved with a welcome group or something of that nature to meet people. We used to be in a theme dinner group and a euchre group when we lived in Ohio and it was a great neighborly feel! I also enjoy working with the school parents club. I would not rule out private school, but we would prefer public if we are in a good district. I know good is as good as the effort we put in as well!

I hope this clarifies a little bit. If anyone knows of any finance jobs in the area, I have a master's degree in finance. Thank you all for your input, we appreciate it. We are going to come there over Easter Break and are hoping to investigate! So if you have any input on what we can do while we are there to help us know we are making the right move, it will be welcomed!

Old 03-08-2008, 10:44 AM

511 posts, read 1,523,617 times
Default Anderson

You may want to check a subdivision in Powdersville called Lea Croft. It has a Greenville address but is actually in Anderson County. They have a lot of activities for kids and family get togethers.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:24 AM

5,595 posts, read 15,393,841 times
I also love Birch River, which is located next to Lea Croft. The homes are nice and the hills are great.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:04 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,847,251 times
I love the powdersville/easley area, its close to Greenville and not too overcrowded(yet, lol) I live on the border of greenville and anderson county(saluda lake)and enjoy living on the west side of the city as opposed to the east because there is so much less traffic on my commute everyday(not that there is much traffic to begin with). also I hear Travelers Rest is very nice, but I have yet to spend alot of time there, I do notice it has great views of the mountains

Old 03-10-2008, 09:50 AM

548 posts, read 1,981,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floofy View Post
Hi, sorry I have not answered the specifics. I have not been on here all week. We want a family friendly area that has a nice neighborly feel. We are still working on the job situation, so I am not sure exactly where we will be, but would be willing to commute if we find the right community. We are split between a sub division that has a pool and ammenities, or getting land for the three boys.

We would like to get involved with a welcome group or something of that nature to meet people. We used to be in a theme dinner group and a euchre group when we lived in Ohio and it was a great neighborly feel! I also enjoy working with the school parents club. I would not rule out private school, but we would prefer public if we are in a good district. I know good is as good as the effort we put in as well!

I hope this clarifies a little bit. If anyone knows of any finance jobs in the area, I have a master's degree in finance. Thank you all for your input, we appreciate it. We are going to come there over Easter Break and are hoping to investigate! So if you have any input on what we can do while we are there to help us know we are making the right move, it will be welcomed!

If you want to get involved the best bet IMO would be subdivisions where they have women's groups or couples groups. I would suggest you make an appointment to spend at least one day with a realtor who would show you areas that might fit your bill. Don't worry that your not quite ready to commit. My husband's cousin has been down twice so far looking around and the realtor was more than willing to show them even though they haven't decided when or if for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area