Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2012, 09:00 AM

298 posts, read 687,003 times

Advertisements

From the Atlantic article ......

Since her childhood, she’s seen Easley transform from a quiet country town to a busy suburb of Greenville. (It’s now a largely charmless place, thick with chain restaurants and shopping centers.)

Not exactly a ringing endorsement of the land use plan for Easley (Powdersville) area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 09:03 AM

807 posts, read 1,784,513 times
What would you like to see Shadetree, just curious.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Grissinger View Post
Hopefully something will go there! I would rather see a profitable business stimulating the economy than a mh park. Hoping the new traffic light helps. There are some medical offices across the street and I would love to see Powdersville get a good restaurant. Even a Olive Garden or something to that affect would be nice.
And this is the essence of my arguement.

They thow in a stoplight to help with the crossing traffic that is held up by the growing commercial sprawl of same/same businesses in the 153/81 area.

That corner (your parcel) gets developed with even more of the same old - same old adding to the sprawl.

Then guess what? You need another stoplight further on down the road to deal with the traffic flow issues created by that new development!

Pretty soon you have the same old blight and sprawl all the way from 85 to Easley. But hey maybe if I am lucky I can find a place to cash my paycheck without having to drive ALL the way into Easley.

And really what did the area get from that? More of the same, nothing new or unique. Meanwhile 'old' downtown Easley which has a lot of character and charm withers and dies.

I have no economic skin in the Easley/Powdersville area. You have to make a living. Property owners have rights. Growth marches on. I get it.

But ..... you reap what you sow.

Last edited by Shadetree930; 01-18-2012 at 09:35 AM..

Old 01-18-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Grissinger View Post
What would you like to see Shadetree, just curious.

What would I like to see go in that corner?

A strip mall that would include at a minimum:
  • A liquor store.
  • A paycheck cashing store.
  • An adult toy store
  • A tax return office (with dancing Lady Liberty out front)
  • A Cash-4-Gold store.
  • A strip club (Lady Liberty can moonlight ... always been curious what was under her robes)
  • An Olive Garden

Last edited by Shadetree930; 01-18-2012 at 09:40 AM..

Old 01-18-2012, 10:22 AM

55 posts, read 114,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree930 View Post

Since her childhood, she’s seen Easley transform from a quiet country town to a busy suburb of Greenville. (It’s now a largely charmless place, thick with chain restaurants and shopping centers.)

Not exactly a ringing endorsement of the land use plan for Easley (Powdersville) area.
May not be a nice comment, but its true. I remember when Easley had pretty rolling farmland around it. Now just full of fast food and drugstores and grocery stores. Give me back the farmland.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:44 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,543,280 times
Quote:

They must not have looked at downtown Easley then. Sad that they only tell part of Easley's story.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
Nobody is saying they didn't make the best deal for themselves.

I think more what is being said is there are many other locations that would have been nice to see used. I can think of at least 3 or 4 usable empty spaces between where I live and that land. not to mention 10 or 12 strip malls and cash for gold or title lending buildings/businesses I would like to see torn down.
While I certainly agree that would be NICE, it's not any business's obligation to do anything other than make the best deal for themselves and those who have invested money in their business. While governments can and in some cases should regulate growth, that starts us down a slippery slope.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:32 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,841,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
While I certainly agree that would be NICE, it's not any business's obligation to do anything other than make the best deal for themselves and those who have invested money in their business. While governments can and in some cases should regulate growth, that starts us down a slippery slope.
Once again, it is understood that its not the obligation of the business to make choices for the good of the city.

I must admit that I'm a little bitter about that whole project going downhill. I was hoping for something new and different in that area, and its turning into same old, same old. cash for gold, at&t, sprint, game stop, and a dentist? now a gas station. We had all that in Easley before. maybe its time for a little regulation?

Old 01-18-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
They must not have looked at downtown Easley then. Sad that they only tell part of Easley's story.
Downtown Easley has been eviscerated by business flight to (or because of) 'development' resulting from the creation of the "Easley Bypass". Maybe they should have looked up the meaning of the word bypass? That's some great planning there Lou* ... kill the city to save the city.

To top it all off .... now the 'bypass' is all jammed up with mall sprawl yielding a net gain of zero for the community. A withering downtown business district PLUS a traffic bypass that is actually a traffic jam (I use that word very loosely here).

The sad thing is that you can see in what remains of 'old' Easley the DNA of a quaint and classic southern rural town. Equate the railroad tracks with the bypass and you can see how development migrated to the transportation center-mass. The more things change, the more they remain the same in that respect.

Not blaming realtors, business owners, property owners here. It is what it is. But .... Easley/Powdersville should be used as case studies in land use planning (how not to) for anyone interested in a career in civil planning and business development.

*Fargo tribute

Last edited by Shadetree930; 01-18-2012 at 11:58 AM..

Old 01-18-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
The sad thing is that you can see in what remains of 'old' Easley the DNA of a quaint and classic southern rural town. Equate the railroad tracks with the bypass and you can see how development migrated to the transportation center-mass. The more things change, the more they remain the same in that respect.

Not blaming realtors, business owners, property owners here. It is what it is. But .... Easley/Powdersville should be used as case studies in land use planning (how not to) for anyone interested in a career in civil planning and business development.

*Fargo tribute
While much of that is true, Easley has made definite progress in making their downtown more attractive to businesses and residents. OF COURSE business is going to follow the traffic. But they are bringing the downtown area back, if very slowly. They finished streetscaping improvements a while back, and I believe they've started a small farmer's market during the summer. I know there's more, but I don't live there and don't know it all. They just need more "destination" businesses instead of the usual necessities and conveniences - things that people will only find downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area