Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 02:25 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,402,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMPA View Post
Hello,

Alittle history, currently live in CT, and we would like to move south at some point. We are in our 50's and still need to work. We have concentrated our search on areas of manufacturing. We visited Summerville last month, and although I liked it, it wasn't what I thought.

Recently, I have been reading about Greenville, and I would love to hear pros/cons of Summerville or Greenville. It seems real estate is a bit more affordable in Greer vs Greenville.

For those who lived near the water previously, and moved inland, how did you adjust?

I'm sure both areas are wonderful in their own way, but I would love to hear any feedback.. good or bad.
Here is a Greenville hype video put out by the city tourism group. It has nice shots of the downtown area including Falls Park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZA252lotHM

Here is an older one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diJV3kEGg7Q

Here is the Greenville website that has a lot of information about the area:

VisitGreenvilleSC Official Travel Source

Last edited by ClemVegas; 07-14-2017 at 02:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 04:00 PM

266 posts, read 245,513 times
I can' tell you how much I appreciate all of your responses. I will go through and re-read everything as I only had an opportunity to scan quickly.

I'm sure I will have more questions and/or responses. All of this information has certainly gotten us more excited to visit.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:29 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,869,811 times
Beckycat I am actually in Greenville but since it is a new neighborhood it attracted a lot of transplants.

Old 07-15-2017, 05:51 AM

155 posts, read 266,042 times
Maybe I'm wrong, but I've always thought of Summerville as a large suburb of Charleston, whereas Greenville is it's own city.

Old 07-15-2017, 12:15 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salutethehill View Post
Maybe I'm wrong, but I've always thought of Summerville as a large suburb of Charleston, whereas Greenville is it's own city.
That makes sense.

Old 07-15-2017, 01:54 PM

513 posts, read 576,344 times
Quote:

Definitely. It would make more sense to compare Summerville to Greer or Simpsonville and Greenville to Charleston. Perhaps that will help the OP. Spend sometime in both and see what you like best.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:09 PM

370 posts, read 947,474 times
We moved from MA to SC 12 years ago. We lived in Greenville first, and now Summerville. Both areas have pros and cons. Coming from New England, we felt there was more of a culture shock in Greenville, just due to the fact it is a little more southern. More transplants in the Summerville and area, and the Charleston accent in general is less noticeable than in the Upstate. Winters are easier and warmer in the Charleston area. Greenville was at times too cold but sometimes it was nice to see a little snow. Outdoor activities are much better in the Upstate. We miss all the hiking we used to do, and the fall foliage was better in the Upstate. If you are looking for an area that feels more like CT, then you would find it in Greenville. If you are looking to escape winters and go someplace warmer and more tropical, then you will find that in Summerville. Humidity is brutal here, and although Greenville gets plenty hot, it is easier to take with less humidity than it is in Summerville. Greenville has hills and the Lowcountry is flat. The beaches here are awesome and we missed being near them when we lived in Greenville. My job offer was better here, so that's why we are here:-)

Old 07-15-2017, 07:52 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,448,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMPA View Post
Hello,

Alittle history, currently live in CT, and we would like to move south at some point. We are in our 50's and still need to work. We have concentrated our search on areas of manufacturing. We visited Summerville last month, and although I liked it, it wasn't what I thought.

Recently, I have been reading about Greenville, and I would love to hear pros/cons of Summerville or Greenville. It seems real estate is a bit more affordable in Greer vs Greenville.

For those who lived near the water previously, and moved inland, how did you adjust?

I'm sure both areas are wonderful in their own way, but I would love to hear any feedback.. good or bad.
Both places are fine. Greenville is the hub of the region so it's bigger and busier. Summerville isn't a hub. Greenville has BMW, Michelin, GSK, 3M, and others. Summerville isn't big in manufacturing - yet, but Boeing and Daimler is nearby and Volvo is coming to Summerville and is planning on hiring 4,000+, and should bring other compliment companies to the Summerville area like Boeing did for North Charleston. But there's plenty of manufacturing around Charleston.

Weather wise, Summerville gets hotter, Greenville gets colder, but in general both cities have a similar climate. Both have good schools, recreation, shopping, traffic issues, sprawl, nice downtown cores, community pride, fast growth, etc.

You really can't go wrong with either place. The Greenville and Charleston areas are pretty healthy.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by distortedlogic View Post
Definitely. It would make more sense to compare Summerville to Greer or Simpsonville and Greenville to Charleston. Perhaps that will help the OP. Spend sometime in both and see what you like best.

Summerville is a Charleston suburb, but it also was its own city long before Charleston sprawled out towards it. Charleston and Summerville is like Greenville and Easley, not Greenville and Powdersville/Simpsonville/Greer.

Easley is benefiting from Greenville's sprawl and the two cities have grown closer together, but no matter what Greenville does, Easley is still independent, like Summerville.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:23 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,321,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aetcas View Post
We moved from MA to SC 12 years ago. We lived in Greenville first, and now Summerville. Both areas have pros and cons. Coming from New England, we felt there was more of a culture shock in Greenville, just due to the fact it is a little more southern. More transplants in the Summerville and area, and the Charleston accent in general is less noticeable than in the Upstate. Winters are easier and warmer in the Charleston area. Greenville was at times too cold but sometimes it was nice to see a little snow. Outdoor activities are much better in the Upstate. We miss all the hiking we used to do, and the fall foliage was better in the Upstate. If you are looking for an area that feels more like CT, then you would find it in Greenville. If you are looking to escape winters and go someplace warmer and more tropical, then you will find that in Summerville. Humidity is brutal here, and although Greenville gets plenty hot, it is easier to take with less humidity than it is in Summerville. Greenville has hills and the Lowcountry is flat. The beaches here are awesome and we missed being near them when we lived in Greenville. My job offer was better here, so that's why we are here:-)
Greenville is quite a bit different 12 years ago versus now. A lot has changed and Greenville has it's fair share of transplants.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:05 AM

266 posts, read 245,513 times
I appreciate everyone's responses. We do have the house on the market and a showing tonight, and a planned trip to Greenville next month.

Obviously we have to find jobs, and I don't really know where we will end up, but any suggestions on areas around Greenville for housing. We are looking to purchase condo or 3 bedroom ranch with FROG, in a community, with pool if possible. Small lot. Husband would like on golf course, but our price range is under 300K ish, not sure that is possible. New construction. I like to be close to things/activity. Any and all suggestions welcome!

I did stumble across Townes of Thornblade condos, anyone live near there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area