Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 01:22 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,797,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I'm kind of skeptical of Hughes ability to attract retailers and restaurants after the Columbia Common dumpster fire. This is a better location than Columbia Common within the metro though.

What kind of retail is there a sustainable demand for in Greenville that the metro does not already have? I'm not shopper and I can't think of anything. I could think of some chain restaurants and retail that could do well at this location but they would be a 2nd location within the metro such as Mellow Mushroom and Texas Roadhouse.
Columbia Common is being done by Bob Hughes: http://www.hughesdevelopment.com This one is being done by Phil Hughes: http://www.hughesinvestments.com Two separate developers but both related.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 08:20 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,262,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
It won't.
Would you like to know the correlation of declining attendance and higher admission costs at major movie theater chains?

Old 08-28-2017, 09:34 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,451,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Would you like to know the correlation of declining attendance and higher admission costs at major movie theater chains?
Movie theaters and ticket prices don't work off supply and demand. They work off inflation, amenities, and the studios themselves. March 2017 was the highest grossing March ever, by far, and was the highest attended since 2002, and tickets were $11.

Last weekend was the worst weekend for movies in 15 years, and the worst August weekend in 20 years, and tickets are still - $11.

You can open 10 new theaters, there will be no "demand effect." They'll all be $11.

Old 08-29-2017, 04:51 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,824,479 times
Quote:
Movie theaters and ticket prices don't work off supply and demand. They work off inflation, amenities, and the studios themselves. March 2017 was the highest grossing March ever, by far, and was the highest attended since 2002, and tickets were $11.

Last weekend was the worst weekend for movies in 15 years, and the worst August weekend in 20 years, and tickets are still - $11.

You can open 10 new theaters, there will be no "demand effect." They'll all be $11.
Or you can do MoviePass for all you can watch at $10/mo.

https://www.moviepass.com/

Old 08-29-2017, 06:26 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,020,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post

Not sure about all you can watch. Its limited to one every 24 hrs. I was told by a friend. Still a great deal. You have to wonder how long that will last.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:18 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,406,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
I can think of plenty of retailers and restaurants we don't have but I question the need for even more retail space on that side of town with the new Laurens Rd/Verdae retail center on the way.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if an expansion of the Whole Foods Shopping Center across from Greenridge occurs after the former industrial site is cleared and approved behind it. I could see something like the new www.Summitatfritzfarm.com in Lexington Ky. (that is also anchored by Whole Foods) with higher end stores locating there like Arhaus, Vineyard Vines, Shake Shack, Pottery Barn, Williams-Sonoma, Water+Oak, Warby Parker (the online eyewear retailer that is expanding into brick and mortar). You can see the whole list of unique retailers at The Summit in Lexington's website. It even has a food hall. Will be interesting to see what develops behind that shopping center.
What is the difference between a food hall and a food court?

I think it is likely the Centrepoint development will be catering to people in the Simpsonville / Five Forks / Mauldin area, not the Greenville metro at large.

I think it would be a bad idea to add more shopping off Woodruff Road but that location makes more sense for unique retail / restaurants in the metro.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:

I think it is likely the Centrepoint development will be catering to people in the Simpsonville / Five Forks / Mauldin area, not the Greenville metro at large.

I think it would be a bad idea to add more shopping off Woodruff Road but that location makes more sense for unique retail / restaurants in the metro.
Kind of the same but in that particular one I think it can have local vendors too like a farmers market type of place.

It depends on what kind of retailers Centerpointe gets if it has if it is more of a regional draw than neighborhood. I used to work on Holland Rd ten years ago and traffic was a mess then in the Butler and Holland area especially during rush hour times. I can imagine what its like now.

I think more shopping is coming behind the Shops at the Point regardless of Woodruff Rd. I don't think they are clearing that to plant trees and flowers. LOL
I think it would the best option on Woodruff to shop now especially with sort of a back gate now to get in and out with the Salters Rd bridge and road reopened. I took that route the other day to go to Whole Foods and get into Greenridge and didn't have to get on Woodruff at all only to cross it. That old industrial site has to be really appealing to retailers with all the apartments already there and all the new hotels going up.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:59 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,451,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post

Not as great of a deal as it sounds. I'm a movie buff, and even I only get to the movies typically 1-2 times a month. Didn't go at all this month, so it would've been a waste of $10. And you can only see a movie once. I saw Wonder Woman twice, so this wouldn't have done me any good.

Quote:
Google Chelsea Market New York, Ponce City Market Atlanta, Krog Street Market Atlanta, Grand Central Market Los Angeles, Cigar Factory Charleston, St Roch Market New Orleans, Pike Place Market Seattle, Union Market DC, etc etc.

It's the new trend. It's an urban, indoor market with specialized merchants. You wont find mall chains there. They are designed for you to eat and drink next to the food. They are hip, but if Greenville were to get one, it needs to be near or in downtown. Along the Swamp Rabbit it'd be huge. Copy Atlanta's beltline.

Last edited by Jandrew5; 08-29-2017 at 11:08 AM..

Old 08-29-2017, 11:34 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,871,773 times
OOh, love Chelsea Market! It would be so much fun to have a place likt that here, without the huge crowds!

Old 08-29-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Not as great of a deal as it sounds. I'm a movie buff, and even I only get to the movies typically 1-2 times a month. Didn't go at all this month, so it would've been a waste of $10. And you can only see a movie once. I saw Wonder Woman twice, so this wouldn't have done me any good.

Google Chelsea Market New York, Ponce City Market Atlanta, Krog Street Market Atlanta, Grand Central Market Los Angeles, Cigar Factory Charleston, St Roch Market New Orleans, Pike Place Market Seattle, Union Market DC, etc etc.

It's the new trend. It's an urban, indoor market with specialized merchants. You wont find mall chains there. They are designed for you to eat and drink next to the food. They are hip, but if Greenville were to get one, it needs to be near or in downtown. Along the Swamp Rabbit it'd be huge. Copy Atlanta's beltline.
It doesn't necessarily have to be in a DT setting. It can be in a suburban shopping center like this one in Lexington Ky. A food hall is planned for The Summit at Fritz Farm shopping center | Lexington Herald Leader . I have noticed they use the term "Food Hall" a lot in the UK more so than Food Court. Must have crept over from there.

That developer Bayer that built that shopping center TheSummit in Lexington really did a nice job. I wish they would develop in Greenville. They really seem to know what they are doing. I really question some of the lack of vision by some local developers and the crap they have built. You see a lot of roads just cut through properties and just sell off the land in parcels and let anyone build the style building they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area