Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 07:44 AM

46 posts, read 139,405 times

Advertisements

Craig,

Good Luck with the job!
If everything comes off for you and you move in June then be prepared for a shock, it's going to feel HOT!!! probably in the 80's but if it's like last summer then could get some 90+ days, coming from Liverpool (or anywhere else in the UK for that matter) it's going to take a few weeks to get used to it.

One suggestion that could be very useful is regarding credit - untill you've been here for at least 7 years you're going to be labelled with "insufficient credit history" whenever you apply for any kind of credit. If you have a 'major' credit card now in the UK don't close it, by all means pay it right down, but you're going to need it over here, not for buying stuff with as the exchange rates are a killer, but you can use it as proof of credit when applying for 'store cards' - the first step to building a credit history. As long as nothing has changed in the last few years, then stores like Macy's will accept an application for a store credit card based soleley on the fact that you have a VISA or Mastercard already (no matter where it was issued) as long as you have your drivers license and Social Security card. Once you have a 'store card' or maybe 2 then you can start building 'good credit' by using them (wisely) don't spend too much on them, and don't pay them off completely every month - keeping a 'revolving' balance builds 'points'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 01:26 AM

4 posts, read 6,103 times
Thanks everyone for the advice and hopefuly everything works out, if there is ever any more info or advice you can give me i would be very gratefull.

Take care
Craig

Old 04-27-2008, 05:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,148 times
Hi guys,

I would be very grateful for some advice about a reliable moving companies from UK to NJ if anyone has used one and can recommend it. I am going to move to NJ in august-september and i am quiet anxious about all the preparation and the new life.

Thank you

Old 04-28-2008, 06:46 AM

105 posts, read 391,460 times
Hi! I just recently moved to Simpsonville from Raleigh, NC and LOVE it! The area is so nice and has a lot of stores. We thought we would miss all of the things that we had access to in Raleigh but Greenville has just as much, nearly. More things are coming to the area all of the time. All of the shopping, jobs, entertainment, etc in Greenville are right up the road from SVL, too. The people for the most part are super nice and have made us feel at home.
I had a choice between Augusta, GA or Greenville.....definately glad I chose Greenville! No regrets!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area