Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2008, 12:19 PM

745 posts, read 2,236,159 times

Advertisements

On our next trip to the upstate (April) we are staying in Salem for a couple nights. I was wondering what we should see and do over that way. We like hiking and general sight-seeing. We'd like to see the lakes- is there a good spot for that? Will they be renting boats or kayaks, or is it too early? On our previous trips, we've focused on Greenville, and Table Rock over to Caesar's Head. We thought we'd expand our horizons! Are there any restaurants at all, or should we plan on making our own meals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 05:32 PM

40 posts, read 240,850 times
I just visited the area recently, and I think I remember Salem. I think I may not have seen it all or something, but I think I can recall a Dollar General, a gas station, a high school, and not a whole lot more. Not sure if I was on the main road through the town, but I believe I traveled Hwy. 130 through it. Not to far from there I visited the Whitewater Fall. I recall heading just about straight up Hwy. 130, maybe, 20 mins. or so from Salem and it was pretty decent. I tried to find out, from the lookout they have for the Fall there, I think I was seeing Lake Jocassee in the distance, and of course the Fall. I think I heard something of the sort that there used to be a part of a trail where people could hike towards the top of the Fall, but I think they had to many problems with to many accidental deaths or something. I suppose getting to close to look over it or something, not sure. I think there was part of a hiking trail at this location to, but I didn't hike it, and I'm not sure how long it was or would be. I think it cost' about $2 for parking pass or something of the sort. I thought it was allright for the most part.

Also on Jocassee lake, was a park that was name Devil's Fork or something of the sort. I'm not to sure what all they have there as I walked around the store and grabbed some information and left. You might can look it up online or something. It's probably not to far for you from Salem if it does have something.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:49 AM

131 posts, read 697,306 times
This link has most of the hiking trails in the state. Just click on the county your interested in. Salem is in oconee county. Then click on the hiking symbols, state parks, etc. Map Page
There are a lot of great hiking trails in the area.
Good luck

Old 03-25-2008, 09:23 AM

114 posts, read 378,766 times
Salem is just a dot on the map really as far as a 'town', but it does have some basic shops, a library branch and is in a beautiful area. Their are many wealthy residents on Lake Keowee and many more rural living spaces off the lake. The hiking directly to the west, up the blue wall, is gorgeous and worth a visit. Lake Jocassee can be reached via the Bad Creek access area which leads to trails and great views of that amazing lake (and natural preservation area). If you are heading to Salem, you might consider visiting Walhalla, a bit bigger town (still not large) that is quite quaint and has more shops and restaurants. It also has a full scale Ingles grocery store right outside town to the East. In sum, Salem is more of an area than a city - but the location is great and your surroundings are just wonderful. Enjoy your visit!

Old 03-25-2008, 03:31 PM

745 posts, read 2,236,159 times
We are staying at a B&B in Salem, but we will be on the go much of the time we are there. Our room has a kitchen, so we can make our own meals. I've only driven through the area once on Rt 11, and I don't remember seeing much. Thanks for the link for the hiking trails. Weather permitting, we'll definitely check them out! Anyone know if there is cell phone service in the area? They don't work (at all!) at Table Rock.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:49 PM

40 posts, read 240,850 times
I used my cell phone all the way up at the Whitewater Falls location, it's Cingular I believe. I think it did some kind of roaming thing or something though, but I'm pretty sure the signal was good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area