Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 08:30 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,099,144 times

Advertisements

I'm just wondering are people outgoing and friendly or are they just the keep to themselves type?

We visited there about a month ago. From our observations, most people are courteous but not over friendly. Most people seemed to pretty much keep to themselves. Is this typically true? Do people open up more once you meet them? I'm not saying this is bad so I don't want anybody to take it in the wrong way either.

What is the best way to meet people if you're moving to the area and don't know anyone? For people that were in this situation, do you feel that you "fit in"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 09:59 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,558,244 times
Usually, people like direct neighbors and co-workers will go out of their way for you and introduce themselves. My partner & I immediately felt comfortable here, and I've retained friendships with people from all 3 of the jobs I've had since moving here. There was absolutely no stigma for my partner & I in the neighborhood we moved into (and still live in) - we've made good friends with several neighbors.

In fact, my Mom always comments on how friendly people are and what good service she gets in restaurants & stores here vs home (which is also in the South, but this area just feels a bit more well-mannered). I've found the folks here by & large to be well-adjusted, intelligent and friendly/helpful in almost every situation.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:31 PM

45 posts, read 81,408 times
I guess it depends on what you consider "friendly." In our experience, people here are very friendly and welcoming when you first meet them- in the neighborhood, stores and restaurants, church, etc. Very courteous and polite and welcoming. However, in my opinion, it is very difficult to move beyond that superficial friendliness and actually develop deeper friendships with people here. Everyone seems to already have well-developed friendships, either through school or family, and it's taken us awhile to make real "friends," i.e. people who we feel comfortable calling in an emergency, going out to dinner with, etc. I think we'd lived here 2 or 3 years before anyone besides our next door neighbor invited us over to his/her house. It's been mentioned before in this forum, but Greenville can be very cliquey. Nice and friendly, but cliquey.

We live downtown, and love being able to take advantage of living so close to the parks, museums, etc. that downtown offers. But there are not as many transplants here as, say, in some of the more transient parts of town like Simpsonville, Greer, etc. But then you have to live in the burbs, and that just isn't our thing.

As far as your question about meeting people, I'm not sure what to suggest. We have small children, so that definitely inhibits our ability to go out to dinner, join social groups, and so forth. Meetup.com might be an option. Maybe other people here will have recommendations for you...

Old 08-12-2011, 09:42 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,196,973 times
Having recently moved here myself I put myself out there and made friends before I even got up here permanently. Not being in a position that I have a job, have small children or belong to a house of worship, all places you'd normally be able to meet people, I didn't want to move here and not have any friends.

I've made some wonderful friends in such a short time, and I'm not talking about acquaintanes, though I have some people I'd consider as such. Last night 4 of us went to see the movie The Help, then out for a late night munch - girls night out. I do have to say, all of us have moved from elsewhere. I haven't made a friend with anyone that's born and raised here or have established roots here long, long ago. Not that I wouldn't, just haven't come across anyone that fits that bill yet.

But everyone I've met has been very nice, whether it be in a grocery store, walking downtown, anywhere really. People are nice here, as long as you are.

As for fitting in - you won't fit in everywhere, not everyone is going to like you, or welcome you in to their lives. All depends on how you are with people, your expectations and if you fit in to those who will open themselves and their lives up to a new friend.

Do I feel like I fit in, yes, sometimes, occasionally, depends, I'm not sure, no.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:11 PM

609 posts, read 1,621,265 times
I think it depends on the individual.

Anywhere you go, it's kind of what you make it in terms of socialness

Old 08-13-2011, 03:05 PM

20 posts, read 19,442 times
Hi Beckycat,

My girlfriend and I visited there last week to explore the area for our move next summer and we found the people to be extremely open and friendly. Even walking around downtown, people would nod and say hello. I do have the same concerns about moving beyond the friendly acquaintance stage into friendships, but I think as a new resident, it'll be up to us to take the appropriate steps to "put ourselves out there." I plan on joining a non-denominational church, a golf league and of course, hopefully make friends with work colleagues. (Also, since I have a cochlear implant, there is likely to be a support group in the area that will be a great place for me to meet others with a similar background.) My girlfriend is a writer and will likely seek out a writers group to meet with as well.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake1026 View Post
Hi Beckycat,

My girlfriend and I visited there last week to explore the area for our move next summer and we found the people to be extremely open and friendly. Even walking around downtown, people would nod and say hello. I do have the same concerns about moving beyond the friendly acquaintance stage into friendships, but I think as a new resident, it'll be up to us to take the appropriate steps to "put ourselves out there." I plan on joining a non-denominational church, a golf league and of course, hopefully make friends with work colleagues. (Also, since I have a cochlear implant, there is likely to be a support group in the area that will be a great place for me to meet others with a similar background.) My girlfriend is a writer and will likely seek out a writers group to meet with as well.
Hi blake1026,

It's good to hear you had a good experience thus far. We also will need to find a non-denominational church that is contemporary as well. We don't go all the time though. I'm outgoing and I talk to people wherever I go. I like to live in a place where it's not uncommon to strike up a conversation while in line at the grocery store. A place where people wave when you drive by is nice.

We also visited about a month ago. It was only for four days and it was alot of driving around. We didn't have a whole bunch of interaction with people because we only had limited time.

If we ultimately move there, I hope overall people are friendly and we make friends. As I said previously, I am outgoing but on the other hand my husband is not. I hope he gets involved with some people who are into sports since he loves sports.

Good luck to you. We will be moving the same time as well. Where are you moving from?

Thanks to everyone else for sharing your experiences. From what I gather, as long as you get out there and talk to people, you will make friends. Al least, that is what I'm hoping for.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:20 PM

We're moving from the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Is your husband into playing sports, or just following them? I'll probably also look into a recreational softball and/or basketball league...hopefully there are some gyms that have them (or a church). I had no problems striking up a conversation with various people there and they were generally receptive and welcoming...in fact, a waitress at a restaurant in Greer (I believe it was Rivera's???) gave us some good ideas on places to look and eat. We plan on going again in December to nail down at least three definite areas to focus on with a realtor once we go back in the spring.

Good luck to you as well! Maybe we can help each other out in the months ahead...

Old 08-14-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake1026 View Post
We're moving from the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Is your husband into playing sports, or just following them? I'll probably also look into a recreational softball and/or basketball league...hopefully there are some gyms that have them (or a church). I had no problems striking up a conversation with various people there and they were generally receptive and welcoming...in fact, a waitress at a restaurant in Greer (I believe it was Rivera's???) gave us some good ideas on places to look and eat. We plan on going again in December to nail down at least three definite areas to focus on with a realtor once we go back in the spring.

Good luck to you as well! Maybe we can help each other out in the months ahead...
My hubby and son both like to watch sports and play hockey. They are on a on foot hockey league here. Although, there currently isn't one there, the Pavillion has potential for an on foot league with their indoor facility. We'd just have to get one up and going. I spoke to Jim at the Pavillion and he was very friendly and helpful.

December will be a nice time to visit with all the holiday decorations. I do think it's a good idea to pinpoint areas that you like. When we visited there, for some reason, either we always ended up in Greer or downtown. I think Taylors maybe a happy medium. We have to go back as well.

Maybe, we can help eachother in the future. Good luck!

Old 08-14-2011, 05:04 PM

We didn't get much of a chance to look around Taylors, but plan to next time. We really liked Travelers Rest with the Cherokee Valley area being a favorite at the moment. (Golf communities can be risky in my view though. If the club struggles, which is not uncommon these days, the whole residential community can take a serious turn for the worse.) TR just seemed like a perfect area to us...a short drive to NC mountains and downtown Greenville. Is the Pavillion a health club there? Foot hockey sounds interesting...i'm usually up for any type of sport activity!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area