Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 08:43 AM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,518 posts, read 5,649,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
Expect that you won't be able to get an ABC affiliate. You can get the other three pretty well.
Wow, that never crossed my mind until you mentioned it.

I guess the closest ABC affiliate broadcasts out of Asheville? Is Asheville too far an area to pull in with most average antennas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 09:45 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,291,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Wow, that never crossed my mind until you mentioned it.

I guess the closest ABC affiliate broadcasts out of Asheville? Is Asheville too far an area to pull in with most average antennas?
It is partially about the distance but a lot of it is about other technical points of the way they broadcast. If you search the forum for WLOS or channel 13, you will find a few posts where the resident antenna expert - TylerSC describes the issues pretty well. It looks like we won't get any relief during the repack of channels, either.

Old 11-16-2018, 05:58 PM

61 posts, read 50,164 times
I live in Simpsonville and have an Antennas Direct 2V (the one with the reflector screen) mounted outside of a 2nd story window on the north side of my house. The antenna is pointed NNW and I get about 58 channels even though my TVFool predicted reception is actually very 'unpromising'. Sometimes I will get as many as 62 but those others are not very reliable. Lots of stations that I don't watch but then, unlike cable or satellite, those are free so at least I am not paying for the channels I don't watch.

WLOS even comes in for me and it is very solid even though the actual signal strength is much lower than my other channels. The one I have been having some problems with the last week or so is WYFF which pixelates a bit every couple of minutes. It is still watchable but it was one of my more solid stations until this started.

I tried an indoor antenna first but reception was not very good at all for me and I expected the outdoor 2V to only be marginally better. To my surprise, it was MUCH better. I even tried an RCA ANT751 and reception was excellent with that one, too. But I returned it for a 2V as that is smaller and doesn't stick out from the side of my house as much as the RCA did.

Overall, I am very pleased with my reception and don't miss cable or satellite tv at all.

Old 11-17-2018, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
It is partially about the distance but a lot of it is about other technical points of the way they broadcast. If you search the forum for WLOS or channel 13, you will find a few posts where the resident antenna expert - TylerSC describes the issues pretty well. It looks like we won't get any relief during the repack of channels, either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slong115 View Post
I live in Simpsonville and have an Antennas Direct 2V (the one with the reflector screen) mounted outside of a 2nd story window on the north side of my house. The antenna is pointed NNW and I get about 58 channels even though my TVFool predicted reception is actually very 'unpromising'. Sometimes I will get as many as 62 but those others are not very reliable. Lots of stations that I don't watch but then, unlike cable or satellite, those are free so at least I am not paying for the channels I don't watch.

WLOS even comes in for me and it is very solid even though the actual signal strength is much lower than my other channels. The one I have been having some problems with the last week or so is WYFF which pixelates a bit every couple of minutes. It is still watchable but it was one of my more solid stations until this started.

I tried an indoor antenna first but reception was not very good at all for me and I expected the outdoor 2V to only be marginally better. To my surprise, it was MUCH better. I even tried an RCA ANT751 and reception was excellent with that one, too. But I returned it for a 2V as that is smaller and doesn't stick out from the side of my house as much as the RCA did.

Overall, I am very pleased with my reception and don't miss cable or satellite tv at all.
Thank you both! Your replies have been most helpful...

Old 11-20-2018, 12:46 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,355,600 times
Quote:
Appreciate the reply. That's a LOT better than I expected.

I assume you're getting all of Greenville. Are you getting any Asheville, Atlanta, or Columbia channels?
You do not receive Atlanta or Columbia signals normally in Greenville County. However, you can receive Asheville and Charlotte depending upon location.

At my current location in northern Greenville County near Mauldin, I receive all the main Greenville-Spartanburg channels, as well as Asheville and several from Charlotte.

13-WLOS from Asheville can be problematic due to technical reasons, but it can be received with a proper VHF antenna and amplifier.

From Charlotte, I reliably receive WBTV-3, WCNC-36, and WJZY-46. At night, WSOC-9 and WCCB-18 will often come in. WBTV is the strongest Charlotte signal, and it comes in strong just like a local channel, with a full 10 bars on the signal meter. My antennas are in the attic, and I use 2 separate antennas combined.

One antenna is a Clearstream 4V UHF/VHF combo antenna for GSP/AVL. And the other is a Channel Master 4228 UHF 8bay antenna for Charlotte. Both are combined with a reverse splitter into a Channel Master Amplify preamplifier and run down the cable to the junction box where there is a Channel Master 4port distribution amplifier connected to 4 TVs.

After the first of the year I will be moving to a new home in southern Spartanburg County near Inman. Preliminary tests revealed I will gain WSOC-9 and WCCB-18 from Charlotte on a permanent all day basis, as well as WBTV-3, WCNC-36, and WJZY-46. From Greenville I will still receive the main channels including WYFF-4, WSPA-7, and WHNS-21. But 13-WLOS may be a bit of a challenge, but since I will get WSOC that will satisfy reception for ABC.

If you are looking for more affordable homes in a rural setting, then perhaps you may consider Wellford, Lyman, Inman or Duncan in southern Spartanburg County. I initially looked at Greer, but it is becoming more expensive and congested in certain areas.

Old 11-20-2018, 01:09 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,355,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
The FCC repack of broadcast TV channels will occur next September 2019. Reception of most main channels may actually improve, since some are increasing power or moving to lower channels. Regarding the distant channels, both WBTV Charlotte and WLOS Asheville will remain the same, whereas all other channels will be changing. But WBTV has a good strong signal, whereas WLOS will remain problematic. And ironically WLOS is considered a local channel, whereas WBTV is out of market but has a strong signal.

In terms of compact antennas, the Clearstream 4V or 4MAX is a strong gain antenna and good for reception of both GSP/AVL and Charlotte channels. But it is helpful to add an amplifier such as Channel Master 7777HD-Amplify or Winegard LNA200.

Old 11-20-2018, 01:18 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,291,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
The FCC repack of broadcast TV channels will occur next September 2019. Reception of most main channels may actually improve, since some are increasing power or moving to lower channels. Regarding the distant channels, both WBTV Charlotte and WLOS Asheville will remain the same, whereas all other channels will be changing. But WBTV has a good strong signal, whereas WLOS will remain problematic. And ironically WLOS is considered a local channel, whereas WBTV is out of market but has a strong signal.

In terms of compact antennas, the Clearstream 4V or 4MAX is a strong gain antenna and good for reception of both GSP/AVL and Charlotte channels. But it is helpful to add an amplifier such as Channel Master 7777HD-Amplify or Winegard LNA200.
We bought the Winegard Elite, which comes with a small amplifier. It is just enough to receive WLOS when aimed correctly at the very peak of our attic. I think we had to place it that high to get over our neighbor's roofline.

At the time I purchased that antenna, I had narrowed it down to either that or the Clearstream 4Max but it was probably going to require a separate amplifier.

Old 11-20-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
You do not receive Atlanta or Columbia signals normally in Greenville County. However, you can receive Asheville and Charlotte depending upon location.

At my current location in northern Greenville County near Mauldin, I receive all the main Greenville-Spartanburg channels, as well as Asheville and several from Charlotte.

13-WLOS from Asheville can be problematic due to technical reasons, but it can be received with a proper VHF antenna and amplifier.

From Charlotte, I reliably receive WBTV-3, WCNC-36, and WJZY-46. At night, WSOC-9 and WCCB-18 will often come in. WBTV is the strongest Charlotte signal, and it comes in strong just like a local channel, with a full 10 bars on the signal meter. My antennas are in the attic, and I use 2 separate antennas combined.

One antenna is a Clearstream 4V UHF/VHF combo antenna for GSP/AVL. And the other is a Channel Master 4228 UHF 8bay antenna for Charlotte. Both are combined with a reverse splitter into a Channel Master Amplify preamplifier and run down the cable to the junction box where there is a Channel Master 4port distribution amplifier connected to 4 TVs.

After the first of the year I will be moving to a new home in southern Spartanburg County near Inman. Preliminary tests revealed I will gain WSOC-9 and WCCB-18 from Charlotte on a permanent all day basis, as well as WBTV-3, WCNC-36, and WJZY-46. From Greenville I will still receive the main channels including WYFF-4, WSPA-7, and WHNS-21. But 13-WLOS may be a bit of a challenge, but since I will get WSOC that will satisfy reception for ABC.

If you are looking for more affordable homes in a rural setting, then perhaps you may consider Wellford, Lyman, Inman or Duncan in southern Spartanburg County. I initially looked at Greer, but it is becoming more expensive and congested in certain areas.
Your reply offered an incredible deal of help. Thank you .

In the beginning, I expect to rent, so I guess I should adjust my expectations for Greenville only, correct? Or is Asheville not out of the question, since my antenna will be pointed towards Greenville/Asheville transmitters? My location will probably land me somewhere in East Greenville/Taylors.

It's a shame that ABC doesn't have an affiliate in Greenville.

Quote:
Congratulations, and best of luck in your new home !

Quote:
Thank you for your suggestions; I will look into them. Unfortunately, housing prices in Taylors & Greer have indeed spiked. There are those who believe that the housing market bubble is set to burst, but there's no timeframe.

Old 11-20-2018, 09:11 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,661,515 times
Quote:
If we make the move to Greenville, we'll probably wind up around the mall area, or in Taylors.

I have looked up a couple of addresses via TVFOOL, and it's telling me not to have high expectations with OTA reception.

How many channels are y'all getting? I would be renting before buying, so I wouldn't be using a roof or attic mounted antenna.

Also, are Greenville's channels making the shift from UHF to VHF?
I get 44 with my attic mount antenna.

I'm not on a mountain but I am also not in a big valley. You gotta watch Taylors. Grew up there. Very hilly. If you have a huge hill between you and paris mt, you are toast.

Old 11-21-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
I get 44 with my attic mount antenna.

I'm not on a mountain but I am also not in a big valley. You gotta watch Taylors. Grew up there. Very hilly. If you have a huge hill between you and paris mt, you are toast.
Appreciate the reply.

Does that 44 channel content include all of Asheville?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area