Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 09:14 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,645,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
I heard their subs are unbelievable, something called Boss Sauce is a must buy, about 700 different cheese?

Here's some of the replies: Boss Sauce, chiavetti’s marinade, salt potatoes, any of their cheeses, Italian staples I can’t get elsewhere in the South, their ultimate chocolate cake! Grandma Brown Baked Beans!

The breads are so good. My favorite is the rosemary sourdough, but everyone seems to really love the garlic Tuscan. Country sweet or boss sauce... they are both from Rochester and just so good. Usually on chicken.

Danny's Favorite sub, Wegmans basting oil, Wegmans pan searing flour, Wegmans cracked pepper blend, Wegmans shrimp (grilled and boiled) with Wegmans cocktail sauce, Wegmans salmon filet on cedar plank with Wegmans brown sugar/cracked pepper blend. - just to name a few

Of course there's lots more - like the Mediterranean bar for olives, or Wegmans gueyere cheese or Wegmans salted roasted cashews, or the speciality deli meats all things you can't get anywhere else but it's fun to walk around and look.

Nicknamed Wegman’s; Wegimeister’s❤️ Organic 12 Grain with Currants Bread, Wegman’s White Cheddar Mac & Cheese, Variety of Cheeses,Wegman’s Variety Crackers,Fresh Produce-Variety,Pumpkinseed Oil,Pizza-Variety,Ready Made Meals-Variety,Freshly Made Sushi-Variety,Wegman’s Basting Oil,Almond Nog~Seasonal,Bialys~Variety,Whole Grain Carrot Muffin,Whole Grain Cranberry Muffin, Bulk Candy section,Natural Food Section,Coffee café

Bakery....in store baked....best choc cake, pumpkin whole 9muffins, garlic Tuscan bread. Anything zweigles in hot dogs but esp white hots. Olive bar...especially almond, garlic or blue cheese stuffed olives and pickled onions. Sushi....anything volcano roll. Meat/fish dept....oven ready salmon with lobster or crab stuffing.

Lots more replies, just thought I'd share a few.
Wow! Talk about a list ! It sounds like Wegmans SHAMES Harris Teeter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2020, 08:03 PM

5,159 posts, read 7,346,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Wow! Talk about a list ! It sounds like Wegmans SHAMES Harris Teeter
I wouldn't go quite that far. While Wegman's is indeed a very nice upscale grocer, the new large Harris Teeter stores are also nice and upscale. Just not quite to that extent. But having both Harris Teeter and Publix gives you a very nice choice of supermarkets. But of course, Wegmans would be a wonderful addition. But if they expand to the Upstate would likely depend upon if they come to Charlotte first. Right now they are just entering the Raliegh-Durham market in NC.

Old 02-15-2020, 09:42 PM
NDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I wouldn't go quite that far. While Wegman's is indeed a very nice upscale grocer, the new large Harris Teeter stores are also nice and upscale. Just not quite to that extent. But having both Harris Teeter and Publix gives you a very nice choice of supermarkets. But of course, Wegmans would be a wonderful addition. But if they expand to the Upstate would likely depend upon if they come to Charlotte first. Right now they are just entering the Raliegh-Durham market in NC.
I thought that Teeter's reputation was exaggerated, until a Teeter opened up to what was our home (in NC).

Teeter has fantastic sales, and a very nice meat selection. Their entry into the Greenville market seems awfully slow...

As for Wegmans, it would only make sense for them to expand into CLT. I suppose that Food Lion would be the only Walmart/Aldi/Lidl alternative for inexpensive groceries, with Teeter/Publix/Wegmans satisfying the premium market.

Old 03-02-2020, 11:29 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,178,365 times
Yeah!!! Wegmans...I'm here!!!

Just a partial pic of their wine dept.
Attached Thumbnails
Wegmans in NC Opens-20200302_132654.jpg  

Old 03-02-2020, 01:49 PM
NDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Yeah!!! Wegmans...I'm here!!!

Just a partial pic of their wine dept.
Wow! Enjoy yourself while you're there, and thanks for posting the picture...Wegman's marketing strategy is visually appealing.

Old 03-04-2020, 07:19 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,178,365 times
Wegman's. Here's my opinions....and take this with knowing that I am NOT a shopper at the grocery stores, BUT, knowing that my family (not me) is from Rochester, NY and Wegmans has fond memories for me as a kid going up there and in to their stores.

The wine and beer department, I thought I was in a store like Total Wine. It's huge and I've never ever seen so many selections in a grocery store.

Groceries - prices are like Publix and Harris Teeter IMHO. On items not on sale (couldn't find a sale ad in there) it's expensive. On their store branded products I found them to be very reasonable. What I paid for a can of beans at a discount grocery store, it was the same price there on a daily basis. But being I'm one person, I don't buy much of that stuff, nor did I really need much in the way of groceries. BUT, I did buy my Mom some of this Sponge Candy people kept telling me about, have no idea what it is and it will be waiting for her when she arrives this summer. I did find the Friendship Whipped Cottage Cheese I can't find here - thank goodness!!! Just a few other items, which some were even beans! Oh, on suggestion from many, I bought some Grandma Brown Baked Beans.

Cheese Dept - OMG - huge, and what a selection. They are happy to open up and let you try it. Expensive - but we bought a piece of Aged Gouda that was wonderful, but a small piece due to price. Someone said they have about 700 different varieties -I'm gonna believe them on that, as I'm surely not going to challenge that number by counting.

The bakery selection is huge. Bagels looked good, priced at 99 cents. Had a muffin, was delicious. They had Miami Rolls - which we from Miami know as Onion Rolls - haven't seen those in years, but then again, haven't looked for them. Someone said their white cake with buttercream frosting was delicious - I love Publix brand since I was a kid, but looked at it. Not at $4 a piece was I going to bother trying it.

Sushi area - never saw so many types of prepared sushi in a grocery store.

There's a LOT of prepared foods in the store and options to purchase foods to make your own to-go meal. We got a 1/2 sub, Danny's Favorite - not something I would ever order anywhere, but thought we would give it a whirl. There's a pizzeria and one other station I can't remember. The food bars had a large selection. For people who like to grab and go and have a meal already prepared for them to take home, this is definitely the place to go for that - so many choices.

Produce was really nice, but again, expensive. I would personally stick with going to Lidl/Aldi's/Sprouts for my produce unless on sale.

There's a very large area for sitting to take any prepared foods you want to eat right then -felt like a large cafeteria.

I'm sure if I was more of a shopper and needed items I would of purchased more and really looked at stuff more. Was staying in the area 2 nights so didn't bother looking at their frozen foods, meats, and other items like that.

Oh Zwiegles White Hots were $5.99 a package - didn't buy any as I have a pack in my freezer already.

I didn't have the opportunity to take any more pictures, and figured the ones already on line we a lot better than I could ever take.

So there it is, in a nutshell, my recent trip to Wegman's. If you took away the wine/beer department and all the specialty areas, it would be comparable to other large grocery stores in regards to actual groceries. If Lowes and Wegmans were near each other, they would compliment each other because one has things the other does not, like the coffee bar, the sausage making area, and the beer bar at Lowes, Wegman's doesn't have that.

It was fun to go in and I'm sure I'll go back in there when in the area. The place on a weekday was busy, busy. They definitely have taken a bite out of the competition in that area, no doubt.

Old 03-04-2020, 07:23 AM

8,480 posts, read 4,727,776 times
When I have been at Wegmans in Rochester, NY, I found the stores to be very nice, but shockingly expensive. It’s one of those places I probably just wouldn’t go to very often. I didn’t think their selection justified bordering on Whole Foods prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area