Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 08:04 PM

503 posts, read 693,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzy_army View Post
Golden Chik bombed terribly.

What was that place where you could buy a pre-made pizza and cook it at home?

Papa Murphy's, They came into the area and bombed hard. It was okay pizza but it wasnt worth it when I could get a frozen pizza at walmart for $4 or $5 bucks and have it in my freezer for when I needed it. Also most of their locations didnt have a drive thru and nobody wants to get out of the car on the way home LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2021, 08:09 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,358,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan In SC View Post
Fazolis, Boston Market, Shoneys, and Bob Evans
As I have said before, I would like to see Shoney's return but I would rather see them return as a Big Boy franchise as they were originally established. For years they were a dominant southeaster family diner but were most successful during their days as the Big Boy franchise in the southeast.

Would also be nice to see Bob Evans return. But Covid may have to further subside before many restaurants are in expansion mode again, as limited seating has shut down many dining rooms, and profit margins are very thin, especially once food costs and labor costs are factored in.

Old 02-18-2021, 08:16 PM

Also K&W Cafeteria closed down due to bankruptcy issues and the effects of the Covid-19 pandemic. Very much missed, but they still have locations in NC. And back in the day Morrison's was a good cafeteria, before they sold out to Piccadilly. And Morrison's operated Ruby Tuesday back in their heyday, before they split into a separate entity. And in the past year, Ruby Tuesday has declined and exited much of the Upstate, although locations remain in Spartanburg County but not Greenville County. Their original location was at Haywood Mall before they began expanding and building freestanding stores. These days Ruby Tuesday is owned by the same private investment firm that operates Frisch's Big Boy in Kentucky and Ohio.

Old 02-18-2021, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Golden Chick has reopened in Greenwood and on Pelham in Greenville.
I like the Golden Chick. They are popular in Texas but have struggled in the Upstate, where they are up against established competitors KFC, Chick-Fil-A, Bojangle's, and now Popeyes.

Old 02-18-2021, 08:24 PM

Quote:
I liked Boston Market. I worked at Verdae Market in the late '90s. I used to eat at the Laurens rd. BM a lot. Decent food.
Yes I miss Boston Market. Better choice fast food other than burgers and fried chicken. Rotisserie chicken and vegetables instead of just fries. I think they may still have locations in Charlotte and Asheville.

Old 02-18-2021, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Golden Chik bombed terribly.

I saw Shoney's mentioned. I don't think that bombed. The one behind BJU was there a long time if I remember correctly.

What was that place where you could buy a pre-made pizza and cook it at home?
In recent years Shoney's has declined from its heyday as a successful southern diner and popular Big Boy franchise. Many locations have closed and they have pulled out of the Upstate. They had a good long run, but unfortunately they have recently bombed in the Upstate, which is sad to see.

Old 02-18-2021, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saberclaw View Post
Burger King on Woodruff Road bombed multiple times.

I'd say Parisian/Proffitt's bombed in Greenville, but they were here for about 9-10 years, so it wasn't really a bomb in hindsight.
Burger King on Woodruff closed and became Cook-Out. Then recently they relocated down the road in front of Walmart, at the site of the old Perkin's diner which finally bombed.

Both Proffitt's and Parisian were owned by Sak's Inc. before they were sold to Belk. Now Belk has filed for bankruptcy and is reorganizing under private investment owner Sycamore. Hopefully they will not bomb and will rebound as they are a major anchor at malls throughout the southeast, as well as many individual small town stores.

Old 02-19-2021, 07:36 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,049,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
They were pretty good back in the 90's.. Right around 2000, which is when they started having financial trouble and were acquired by McDonalds.. Things started sliding downhill. Back when they were Boston Chicken.

Oh, forgot all about that place. There was one in Simpsonville as well. It's now the Zaxby's.

We could talk about the aborted inroads some chains made as well.. and I think Backyard Burgers would go under that banner.

Wasn't it Del Taco that opened up in Boiling Springs? I'd say Steak 'n Shake.. That location has been there since the 90's, but.. They haven't made any attempts to go past that around here.

Boiling Springs and Greenwood seem to be two places that chains will test the waters in the upstate market. Both of them have gotten some chains that were kinda one-offs.
Del Taco has bombed twice - The first time was the early 80’s - I remember the store in Greer and there was one at I85 & Pleasantburg Rd

Old 02-19-2021, 11:43 AM

672 posts, read 1,418,046 times
I miss the following places:

Freddy's Frozen Custard (There are still open in Easley)

Captain D's

Babaziki

Old 02-19-2021, 12:50 PM

4,601 posts, read 6,016,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ForksSC View Post
Del Taco has bombed twice - The first time was the early 80’s - I remember the store in Greer and there was one at I85 & Pleasantburg Rd
Del Taco @ Haywood Mall, Clemson and Anderson back in the 80's too. I wouldn't say they bombed because they were around for awhile. Those Del Taco's back then were much better according to my memory than that recent one in Boiling Springs that bombed quickly. I tried it once and it was nothing more than a Taco Bell. Nothing like I remembered. The Grande Burrito from Del Taco was my favorite thing on the planet back in the 80's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area