Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2021, 09:44 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,259,939 times

Advertisements

I'll throw a general concept out.. The Meat and Three.

dominated around here for many years. Now, it's pretty hard to find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2021, 09:55 AM

428 posts, read 362,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

Yeah that's certainly a shame. Gene's has been gone a while. Sarah's kitchen is gone also. I don't even know of one down here in Augusta. There is one in Aiken.

I'd say Golden Chik is the perfect example of bombing in the area. We could have the Golden Chik Rule. Haha

Old 02-21-2021, 02:50 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Could no longer compete with Lowe's and Home Depot. But I do not recall if they ever had a store in the Upstate.
Hechinger's had a store at Market Place on Laurens Road. It was subdivided into Sports Town and Books-a-Million. Sports Town was replaced by Sports Authority. Its space is now Sky Zone. Books-a-Million was replaced by 2nd & Charles.

Old 02-21-2021, 02:53 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
And speaking of Upstate legacy brands, I believe Ryan's has already been mentioned, but they have basically bombed everywhere with only a few locations remaining. Leaving Golden Corral as the dominant player in the buffett/steakhouse sector. But I believe the nearest location for Ryan's is now in Asheville.
Ryan's went downhill after being acquired by Buffets, Incorporated, the parent company of Old Country Buffet. I think Ryan's would still be in operation if it was not acquired.

Old 02-21-2021, 05:44 PM

4,601 posts, read 6,018,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Hechinger's had a store at Market Place on Laurens Road. It was subdivided into Sports Town and Books-a-Million. Sports Town was replaced by Sports Authority. Its space is now Sky Zone. Books-a-Million was replaced by 2nd & Charles.
Yep. The metal bars/racks they had in front of Hechinger are still there. I think they used them to lean the lumber and other building materials on for loading.

Old 02-21-2021, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

You can still get the meat and two or three at many of the Clock restaurants around. There is also that Fried Green Tomatoes restaurant behind the mall and Stax Original across from Cherrydale.

Old 02-21-2021, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
You can still get the meat and two or three at many of the Clock restaurants around. There is also that Fried Green Tomatoes restaurant behind the mall and Stax Original across from Cherrydale.
Totally forgot about The Clock. The two clocks right next to each other on Old Easley Bridge Rd is a funny story.

Old 02-21-2021, 06:49 PM

Anyone remember The Black-eyed Pea chain? They were across from the mall where Jason's Deli is now. I recall eating at them in Atlanta too. They were always very busy but the chain filed bankruptcy. Just looked them up and they still have locations throughout Colorado but looks like that's it.

Also Tomato Rumba on Haywood which was Applebee's Italian concept

Old 02-21-2021, 07:34 PM

Yeah I remember Black Eyed Pea. First time I came across them was in Northern VA area. I remember it being decent.

Old 02-21-2021, 08:19 PM

128 posts, read 100,840 times
BJ's Wholesale Club

I think they only ever had the one location up on Woodruff, which is now Academy/Trader Joe's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area