Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2022, 04:34 PM

266 posts, read 300,475 times

Advertisements

Both me and my silicone dust 4K flex are drooling. Already have channelsDVR running well, only one coax to the HR Flex and four TV's getting OTA with no physical cable attached to them and all can record to my server.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2022, 07:01 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Be sure you have a newer model TV with the built in ATSC 3.0 tuner. Sony models have been most affordable, and there are also choices from LG and Samsung higher end models. And perhaps Hisense or some other lower priced option will appear. Or you can use an external tuner box such as HD Homerun 4K from Silicon Dust. The UHF signal on RF35 should be easier to receive than than the VHF signals of WSPA and WLOS.
My primary TV is about 7 years old. I'm guessing ATSC 3.0 tuner isn't included, so I'll have to have a converter box; similar to what we had when digital became available?

Old 05-12-2022, 08:33 AM

5,158 posts, read 7,346,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
My primary TV is about 7 years old. I'm guessing ATSC 3.0 tuner isn't included, so I'll have to have a converter box; similar to what we had when digital became available?
Only the newer model TVs from 2021-22 have the upgraded NextGen tuner. But unfortunately there is no government coupon program for a converter box as there is yet no mandatory termination of the ATSC 1.0 signals. The ATSC 3.0 signal is a voluntary upgrade for the consumer made available by the broadcasters. Converter boxes include HD Homerun 4K from Silicon Dust, the Zapperbox, and a new Tablo DVR. And the converter boxes are rather expensive, ranging up to $249 in price. Eventually in 5 to 10 years, ATSC 3.0 may become the new broadcast standard and the current 1.0 signals may finally be turned off.

Old 05-17-2022, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Select Hisense 2022 TV models will have the new NextGen tuner built in. Should appear in the stores about July and the mid tier A7H model should be at a reasonable price point once the prices drop on sale. Also several Sony models have the new tuner at an affordable price point, including current models. Samsung and LG have the new tuner reserved for the more expensive higher end models. The Zapperbox is a NextGen converter box that should be released soon, along with HD Homerun 4K from Silicon Dust, and the new Tablo DVR.

Old 05-17-2022, 11:47 AM

The modulation scheme for ATSC 3.0 broadcasting is more robust than the current ATSC 1.0 standard. Meaning antenna reception should be less problematic. And apparently WMYA-40 on RF35 is currently easy to receive in most primary areas of the Upstate, although not as large of a coverage area as WYFF or WSPA. But a good UHF antenna and possible amplifier should pull it in easily, and the problematic WLOS will now be retransmitted on the WMYA Lighthouse signal, now making reception of 13 a possibility in the Upstate.

Old 05-17-2022, 03:33 PM

This is not me. My HD 4K flex has taken over my keyboard and wants fed some 3.0! Haha.

Old 05-17-2022, 07:21 PM

In all seriousness, we have a wonderful bouquet of channels here. I get70 OTA here, Just want the lighthouse broadcasting all f them.

Old 06-01-2022, 08:09 PM

Good news Tyler. https://www.foxcarolina.com/2022/06/...generation-tv/. It's here tomorrow.

Old 06-01-2022, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmelfi View Post
Good news Tyler. https://www.foxcarolina.com/2022/06/...generation-tv/. It's here tomorrow.
Yes Thursday June 2 is the Go Live date for NextGen broadcasting to begin in the Upstate. You will need to rescan as certain subchannels will move around and the ATSC 3.0 signal will launch on WMYA-40 which is RF35. And you will need an upgraded TV or tuner.

Old 06-02-2022, 06:30 AM

6 posts, read 2,854 times
So before I go out and replace my Tablo Tuner with an HDHomeRun Flex 4K....Does anyone know if I will also need to upgrade my HD antenna's I have installed in attic? Or will they be sufficient to pickup the new signals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area