Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2022, 04:27 PM

1,845 posts, read 2,764,998 times

Advertisements

Residents get the gas tax increase back in next year's tax filing anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2022, 07:16 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,307,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
But then you get the Blue Ridge weather which isn't ideal to live in 24-7. colder, more overcast, etc. you would be living in the south but getting a climate more like Pittsburgh than the sunny south.

Winter tends to be more stark in the mountains as well. the job market is going to be more limited.

It doesn't seem like I hear about Asheville much in recent years. I feel like Greenville has kind of taken Asheville's place in a way.
You get colder, but you also get milder summers in WNC. I think it was last week when Greenville was at or near 100 for several days - we hit 89 one day. The other days were in the mid 80s. Winters here are relatively mild plus we get a little snow, which is fun.

Old 07-05-2022, 09:05 PM

1,290 posts, read 785,017 times
As somebody who does a lot of hiking and kayaking trips in the Blue Ridge and elsewhere, Greenville is as good a spot to be in as Asheville.

Most of the best hiking trails in NC (based on All Trails rankings) are 45 plus minutes from Asheville, and Greenville is as close or closer for many of them, such as Triple Falls in the Dupont Forest, and Whitewater Falls, Whiteside Mountain and Rainbow Falls north of Lake Jocassee.

According to the All Trails website, NC's best hike is Looking Glass Mountain. I think SC's Table Rock and Pinnacle Mountain hikes are significantly better than that one. I would probably rank the Art Loeb trail to Shining Rock the best one in NC which is about 1 hour from Greenville.

For the average person who isn't a big hiker, the car accessible viewpoints in SC like Caesars Head, Sassafras Mountain, Pretty Place would be enough mountains for them. I think a stong case could be made that SC has better waterfalls and waterfall hikes. NC's best waterfalls, Upper Whitewater, Dry Falls, Moores Cove, Looking Glass, Rainbow Falls, Triple Falls are near the SC border. NC doesn't have cabins or lodges in any of their Blue Ridge state parks. You can get a good cabin in Oconee, Table Rock and Devil's Fork state parks in SC.

Lakes Jocassee and Keowee are two of the nicest mountain lakes in the country, and the Chattooga River is generally considered the best whitewater river in the southeast.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 07-05-2022 at 09:37 PM..

Old 07-06-2022, 06:57 AM

428 posts, read 362,948 times
You wanna see some bad roads? Try driving in Moscow. I saw potholes that would swallow a bus.

Old 07-06-2022, 07:35 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,022,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzy_army View Post
You wanna see some bad roads? Try driving in Moscow. I saw potholes that would swallow a bus.
frenzy_army I think you were the one talking about Hwy 25 between Ware Place and Princeton in southern Greenville county (near Twin Chimneys Landfill) being like Moscow. They "finally" resurfaced the road recently and not a moment too soon.

Old 07-06-2022, 09:32 AM

428 posts, read 362,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
frenzy_army I think you were the one talking about Hwy 25 between Ware Place and Princeton in southern Greenville county (near Twin Chimneys Landfill) being like Moscow. They "finally" resurfaced the road recently and not a moment too soon.
Yeah I drove through there while they were doing it months back. It's pretty nice now. It was long overdue.

Old 07-07-2022, 10:14 PM

Quote:
As somebody who does a lot of hiking and kayaking trips in the Blue Ridge and elsewhere, Greenville is as good a spot to be in as Asheville.

Most of the best hiking trails in NC (based on All Trails rankings) are 45 plus minutes from Asheville, and Greenville is as close or closer for many of them, such as Triple Falls in the Dupont Forest, and Whitewater Falls, Whiteside Mountain and Rainbow Falls north of Lake Jocassee.

According to the All Trails website, NC's best hike is Looking Glass Mountain. I think SC's Table Rock and Pinnacle Mountain hikes are significantly better than that one. I would probably rank the Art Loeb trail to Shining Rock the best one in NC which is about 1 hour from Greenville.

For the average person who isn't a big hiker, the car accessible viewpoints in SC like Caesars Head, Sassafras Mountain, Pretty Place would be enough mountains for them. I think a stong case could be made that SC has better waterfalls and waterfall hikes. NC's best waterfalls, Upper Whitewater, Dry Falls, Moores Cove, Looking Glass, Rainbow Falls, Triple Falls are near the SC border. NC doesn't have cabins or lodges in any of their Blue Ridge state parks. You can get a good cabin in Oconee, Table Rock and Devil's Fork state parks in SC.

Lakes Jocassee and Keowee are two of the nicest mountain lakes in the country, and the Chattooga River is generally considered the best whitewater river in the southeast.
WNC consists of a lot more than Asheville. Bottomline, Greenville is not ‘in the mountains’. Lake Keowee is not technically ‘in the mountains’ either. I encourage you to explore the waterfalls around Highlands/Cashiers and north of Brevard. You’ll find many beautiful waterfalls in these areas.

Last edited by Lizap; 07-07-2022 at 10:29 PM..

Old 07-08-2022, 08:47 AM

I listed waterfalls in those areas. They are near the SC state line.

Greenville is in the foothills of the Blue Ridge.

Old 07-08-2022, 10:48 AM

Quote:
I listed waterfalls in those areas. They are near the SC state line.

Greenville is in the foothills of the Blue Ridge.
Just to clarify, Highlands is an hour 50 min. from Greenville, and the area north of Brevard is an hour 15 min.

Old 07-08-2022, 02:30 PM

Highlands is 1 hr 50 min from Asheville. Brevard is 55 minutes.

That's the point that I'm making.

Upper Whitewater Falls, NC's most famous and probably tallest waterfall, is 15 minutes closer to Greenville than Asheville. It is easier to access from the SC side
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area