Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2024, 02:14 PM

4 posts, read 853 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I’m from small town Colorado but have been living in Virginia for 25 years- it’s not exactly my favorite place. We have a chance to possibly move to the Greenville area. My husband and I are headed down there in a few weeks to check the area out. I’m wondering if anyone has moved there from Virginia and what you think of it?

My husband’s work would likely be around Pendleton. We like rural living but have a child that has to be close to 24 hr emergency health care - probably no more than 15-20 min away. Are there any areas that are at least semi rural, low crime, that would we should check out? My kids are into 4h and low key rec sports. we used to live “way out in the country” but we’ve been completely engulfed by northern Virginia and our quiet country roads are turning into major commuter routes with horrible wrecks on a weekly, almost daily basis. Any commute less than his current 1hr 15 min each way is a bonus! We homeschool but a quality and safe public high school would be a big bonus too. Laurens was suggested to us but I think that would be too far away. Any places we should stay away from? I’ve already scoured crime maps, weather, housing, etc to get an idea of what it’s like but would love to hear opinions.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2024, 07:40 PM

5,169 posts, read 7,392,579 times
You may prefer the southern part of Virginia rather than Northern Virginia. It is less crowded and congested, and a less urban feel. Just a thought.

In the Upstate of SC if you need 24 hour pediatric emergency care, then you would probably prefer to be closer to Greenville as they have the top level peds emergency in the region. Perhaps Greer, Travelers Rest, Fountain Inn, or Powdersville.

Old 05-01-2024, 07:24 AM

4,902 posts, read 7,465,446 times
Good morning!

We moved from VA to Spartanburg when we retired (2017) and I love it. I know minimal about Colorado or public schools but a lot about Virginia . . . Purcellville (couldn’t WAIT to get out), Winchester (loved but understand it’s growing rapidly) and Lynchburg (note my user name for opinion) . . . Having spent my entire life in the DC metro area.

As TylerSC mentioned, closer to medical in Greenville will probably be your priority but I have heard some good things about AnMed in Anderson. My son is a helicopter paramedic in SC so I hear a lot. Lol

Again, as TylerSC suggested, those cities might work because a reverse commute. But Greer, particularly (son lives there) is growing rapidly. I believe anything in between Greenville and Spartanburg will eventually be a Loudoun type sprawl. Housing, strip malls are popping up overnight.

You didn’t mention budget or acreage but Greenville-Spartanburg (and anything near) are exploding in cost. We bought in an older neighborhood in Spartanburg for around $200k in 2017 and our neighborhood is now selling around $400k. Son in Greer bought around 2011 for $90k and their neighborhood is now close to $300k. Neither are on acreage.

The others you may want to look into is Easley on the west side of Greenville (reverse commute) and possibly, Pelzer (we have friends there but don’t know very much about it).

Best of luck in your search.

Old 05-01-2024, 08:35 AM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 29 days ago)

779 posts, read 363,621 times
I recommend the lake area of Seneca, Clemson, Pendleton, north part of Anderson around highway 81.

Seneca has hospital with emergency care. My brother had a seizure while at Clemson and they took care of him. Many retirees live in Seneca and Clemson.

Old 05-01-2024, 10:23 AM

3,221 posts, read 2,449,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryLifeMama View Post
Hello,
I’m from small town Colorado but have been living in Virginia for 25 years- it’s not exactly my favorite place. We have a chance to possibly move to the Greenville area. My husband and I are headed down there in a few weeks to check the area out. I’m wondering if anyone has moved there from Virginia and what you think of it?

My husband’s work would likely be around Pendleton. We like rural living but have a child that has to be close to 24 hr emergency health care - probably no more than 15-20 min away. Are there any areas that are at least semi rural, low crime, that would we should check out? My kids are into 4h and low key rec sports. we used to live “way out in the country” but we’ve been completely engulfed by northern Virginia and our quiet country roads are turning into major commuter routes with horrible wrecks on a weekly, almost daily basis. Any commute less than his current 1hr 15 min each way is a bonus! We homeschool but a quality and safe public high school would be a big bonus too. Laurens was suggested to us but I think that would be too far away. Any places we should stay away from? I’ve already scoured crime maps, weather, housing, etc to get an idea of what it’s like but would love to hear opinions.

Thanks!
Easley. There is a Prisma Children's in Easley for daytime and Prisma Children's in Greenville. East side of Easley and you would be closer to the hospital in Greenville but still not too far from Pendleton. There is also a Shriner's Children's right by the Prisma Children's

Old 05-01-2024, 11:55 AM

4 posts, read 853 times
You all are so helpful, thank you! TylerSC we actually did look at southern Virginia, specifically around Danville or even Bedford, but we decided against those.honestly I think what it comes down to is can we live a bit more rural than we are now- and away from DC- but still in a region with a thriving enough economy to help our kids through college soon and with quality healthcare. That might be a tall order! =)

The thoughts on congestion and growth are appreciated. In my research and from some of these comments it does look like some areas around Greenville may be similar to Northern Virginia. Is Easley growing as fast?

Thank you all again, we have dates set for our trip down there so I’m super excited!

Old 05-02-2024, 03:51 PM

17,657 posts, read 15,352,185 times
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks!

Nokesville?

Stonewall Jackson Class of '91.

Old 05-04-2024, 11:57 AM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 29 days ago)

779 posts, read 363,621 times
Quote:
Is Easley growing as fast?
Easley is a busy area and likely to get more popular due to its location between downtown Greenville, Clemson, the lakes and the mountains.

The Clemson Pendleton area is a good spot if you want to be rural but with access to bigger city stuff. The area is far enough from Greenville that there are not a ton of commuters.

Clemson has the largest research forest adjacent to a college in the country which prevents it from getting overdeveloped.

Old 05-06-2024, 09:05 AM

4 posts, read 853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Nokesville?

Stonewall Jackson Class of '91.
I’d rather not say online =)

Old 05-06-2024, 12:21 PM

17,657 posts, read 15,352,185 times
Quote:
I’d rather not say online =)

I'm close, tho.. lol.

You're in VA.. Encroachment from NoVA.. I'll can't imagine it's not PWC..

I just figured Nokesville because.. Even 25 years ago.. Manassas was being engulfed by the sprawl. Same with Dale City or Woodbridge.

Though, I will throw Quantico out as a possibility.. That's a town that has one big thing and the rest of it is more.. Quiet and small.

You can come back and tell me how close I was after you've left. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area