Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 08:00 PM

7 posts, read 20,792 times

Advertisements

Anyone has experience using window films on their windows at home? I have a two story house and some of the windows are pretty high. I'm thinking of using window films to block UV rays. Can anyone send me names of local company that do installation of window films? I called and left a message to Southern Installation but did not get any response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 02:09 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,578,885 times
We put some in we bought a Lowes and they REALLY made a difference. We have West Facing windows in one room and it was miserable. DIY following the instructions went quite well. [but with two story I can see where you want to hire someone]

You may check with the store, Lowes often works with local contractors and I think they have a good recommendation n their referrals.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:12 AM

2,769 posts, read 7,249,267 times
DIY window tinting is very easy, just make sure you buy a good quality film, particularly one that guarantees not to bubble or turn purple. I don't know how much companies charge to tint a home, but there's no doubt you'll save a lot of money doing it yourself. It doesn't take long and it's a very rewarding project that most people can complete very easily.

Since you have some high windows you could always hire someone to do the high one's and you do the low one's to save money, but it's completely understandable if you just want to knock it out all at once and let the professionals do it. Just don't be intimidated if you want to try it yourself.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:42 AM

9,467 posts, read 9,405,743 times
DIY UV Coating

Be sure to check the quality of the UV rating on the box if you do it yourself. Some brands are a higher number than others.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:45 AM

288 posts, read 951,734 times
We had an awful experience trying to put that store bought window film on our huge foyer window. Hanging off a ladder while trying to work with that stuff is terrible. It was impossible to get the bubbles out. But we did find what was, for us anyway, a better solution. Solar screen. Looks like regular screen (although a bit dark). They have it at Lowes in the screen department. It just installs into a regular screen frame. Easy as pie. We had to make a frame for our foyer window but there are kits for that too. Made a HUGE difference! I put a thermometer on the floor in the afternoon sun coming through that window without the screen and it got up to 105 degrees! Temperature after solar screen -- 81 degrees. Our power bill has gone down dramatically, just by covering that one window. We plan to put the solar screens up on our west facing windows in the summer and take them down in the winter, to let in natural light and warmth. There are companies that make and install the screens if you don't want to do it yourself. My parents had a bad time with window film that basically melted to their windows after many years so be careful if you choose that option.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:47 AM

288 posts, read 951,734 times
Oh, by the way, the solar screens are rated for UV protection. They come in different versions. Ours blocks 90% of UV.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:59 AM

6,898 posts, read 22,585,208 times
Don't these go on the inside? An office building I worked at did this and I could swear they were inside not outside.

You might want to check with your HOA (if you have one) as some may have restrictions against changing the appearance of your house. I'd bet mine does but I could probably do it on the back of the house.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:21 AM

94 posts, read 378,430 times
I am about to have the 3M Prestige Safety and Security films installed on all the windows of our home. They block out UV rays as well as preventing glass from shattering in a storm or from someone trying to do a "smash and grab" burglary. On the coast they are used to help minimize or prevent water damage during storms or hurricanes. They will also cut your energy bill.

I know you can DIY them, but if you have professional installation, they will stand behind both the installation and the product with a lifetime guarantee. Also, there is a 15% discount you can get from an authorized dealer (no, I don't work for them). Since I guess we aren't supposed to post a web site; if you want the company we are going with, send me a PM. Or google them.

Susan

Old 08-02-2008, 04:32 AM

275 posts, read 1,763,896 times
Thank You Susan2007!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-02-2008, 01:29 PM

94 posts, read 378,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Don't these go on the inside? An office building I worked at did this and I could swear they were inside not outside.

You might want to check with your HOA (if you have one) as some may have restrictions against changing the appearance of your house. I'd bet mine does but I could probably do it on the back of the house.
You can buy clear film that does not change the outside appearance, but still blocks the UV rays (that's what I chose, as I don't want dark winter days). Supposedly they reflect even less than glass so your outside will be more "matte" than shiny like glass windows.

Susan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area