Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 08:02 PM

161 posts, read 416,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
That bolded part I quoted from you is a false statement and you know it. Who is most? Surely not me. Haywood Mall beats anything in Spartanburg when it comes to retail shopping. Call me when Westgate Mall gets Aldo, Pottery Barn, Macy's, Coach, J. Crew, Aerie, etc.
None of the stores you mentioned are truly high end. Macy's is the K-Mart of department stores, placing more generic mechanise on the floor then name brand (they did the same thing in Chicago after they took over Marshall Fields). Aldo is pretty much anywhere. Pottery Barn is fleeting and offers high end furniture for those who's taste has improved over Ikea. The Coach store here is second run (I learned this after purse shopping with my wife). J Crew only appeals to a certain demographic and is not a flag ship store. Aldo is small and second run as well. Let's not forget Aerie, which is teen lingerie, which I hope none of us shop for.

Bottom line, if you want higher end clothing and merchandise, go to South Park in Charlotte or Galleria in Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 08:20 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,804,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drizzle View Post
None of the stores you mentioned are truly high end. Macy's is the K-Mart of department stores, placing more generic mechanise on the floor then name brand (they did the same thing in Chicago after they took over Marshall Fields). Aldo is pretty much anywhere. Pottery Barn is fleeting and offers high end furniture for those who's taste has improved over Ikea. The Coach store here is second run (I learned this after purse shopping with my wife). J Crew only appeals to a certain demographic and is not a flag ship store. Aldo is small and second run as well. Let's not forget Aerie, which is teen lingerie, which I hope none of us shop for.

Bottom line, if you want higher end clothing and merchandise, go to South Park in Charlotte or Galleria in Atlanta.
Oh I agree. That's why I said Greenville doesn't have any high-end national retailers due to population demographics. I was pointing out that we have higher end stores than Westgate Mall even if their not totally high-end. It will be at least 2015 before we get a Nordstrom or anything like it. Nashville is finally getting one in 2010 and look how much bigger their metro area is than ours.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:04 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,535,868 times
Quote:
I'd rather see the merchandise in person, especially if I'm spending $80+ on a "work shirt" shirt. The population here doesn't support the higher ending shopping I'm used to. If I have to travel out of the state to get it, so be it.
Most people's income won't support buying the stuff you were used to seeing in Chicago and that is why Dillard's Greenville does not stock that stuff. I'm not suggesting you buy sight unseen but if you know what you want they will help you find it from another store even if it is out-of-state and the sale counts for Greenville not the other store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Oh I agree. That's why I said Greenville doesn't have any high-end national retailers due to population demographics. I was pointing out that we have higher end stores than Westgate Mall even if their not totally high-end. It will be at least 2015 before we get a Nordstrom or anything like it. Nashville is finally getting one in 2010 and look how much bigger their metro area is than ours.
It will probably be longer than that g-man unless Nordstrom comes in and buys Dillard's. We've talked that before; so far nothing is being reported to me but Nordstrom has bought Dillard's locations before and one can only hope.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:13 AM

5,491 posts, read 8,326,381 times
Why are we debating about this? You guys knew Greenville wasn't Chicago, Atlanta, or New York when you came here so why are you complaining? I for one think that Greenville is loaded with amenties and what ever you are complaining of Greenville not having didn't stop you from leaving your cities that are loaded with everything. So lets take a breath and ask ourselves why we choose Greenville over this gigantic cities then talk about whats missing?

Old 10-06-2008, 10:37 AM

617 posts, read 2,573,360 times
Quote:
Take my advice, do your shopping in Atlanta or Charlotte. The selection of higher end men's clothing in Haywood Mall is less then impressive (unless you want to deck yourself out in Tommy Bahama, Polo, or Sean Jean). They may have the bigger name stores here, but I find a lot more clothes in Dillard's in Charlotte then I ever have in Dillard's in Haywood.
Yeah, drive all the way to Atlanta and Charlotte to shop. That's good advice, especially with the current gas situation...

You do know that you don't have to shop at Haywood Mall, right? You can find higher end men's clothing in other stores around town. I did a quick search on google and found two stores downtown that may be what you're looking for. Rush Wilson Limited and Ballew & Scott Clothiers are both nice stores with excellent quality stuff from what I hear. Rush Wilson has a very nice, professional looking website as well where you can check out their collection. Men’s Collection | Rush Wilson Limited – Purveyors of Classic American Style

Yeah, so that's only two stores. I'm sure there are plenty of others around town. Don't limit yourself to thinking all shopping has to be done in malls. (and to the original poster, I imagine it would be hard for you to see where the renovations were made seeing as you had never been before...)

Old 10-06-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2y2r7o View Post
Yeah, drive all the way to Atlanta and Charlotte to shop. That's good advice, especially with the current gas situation...

You do know that you don't have to shop at Haywood Mall, right? You can find higher end men's clothing in other stores around town. I did a quick search on google and found two stores downtown that may be what you're looking for. Rush Wilson Limited and Ballew & Scott Clothiers are both nice stores with excellent quality stuff from what I hear. Rush Wilson has a very nice, professional looking website as well where you can check out their collection. Men’s Collection | Rush Wilson Limited – Purveyors of Classic American Style

Yeah, so that's only two stores. I'm sure there are plenty of others around town. Don't limit yourself to thinking all shopping has to be done in malls. (and to the original poster, I imagine it would be hard for you to see where the renovations were made seeing as you had never been before...)
I looked at the link and although that may be what some people want, it doesn’t fit my style.

What’s the big deal if you have to travel some place else to do your shopping? If a particular area doesn’t have what you need, go someplace that does.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:16 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,326,381 times
Why move somewhere that doesn't meet your needs? I think Greenville has plenty. For those of you that think its lacking, why did you come to Greenville if its missing what you want? Seriously?

Old 10-06-2008, 12:30 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,533,143 times
Personally, I was delighted to find Coldwater Creek at Haywood Mall and Chico's at Greenridge when I moved here a few months ago. If there is something I need but can't find locally, I go online.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motonenterprises View Post
Why move somewhere that doesn't meet your needs? I think Greenville has plenty. For those of you that think its lacking, why did you come to Greenville if its missing what you want? Seriously?
No where is perfect. If someplace doesn't have what I want, I get in the car and go to where I can get what I want. I think you're blowing this up to more then what it actually is.

If Haywood mall works for you, then go for it. If it doesn’t, then it doesn’t.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:11 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,804,340 times
Quote:
No where is perfect. If someplace doesn't have what I want, I get in the car and go to where I can get what I want. I think you're blowing this up to more then what it actually is.

If Haywood mall works for you, then go for it. If it doesn’t, then it doesn’t.
Why don't you just save the gas and move to the place that has everything you want. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area