Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 03:16 PM

4 posts, read 10,615 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are from European decent, and we are leaving Texas because we are sick and tired of the hateful ignorant racist rednecks that seem to saturate this state. I can't stress enough about how tired we are with these mean hateful hicks. We consider ourselves simple people but we do have an education and would like to meet people who can talk about more that just nascar and football. The people in Texas will smile and make nice to you then talk about you as soon as your back is turned. Austin, TX is not as bad and that's because you have more educated people which make for a greater mix. We just would like to leave Texas to where it's cooler, not freezing, and can meet with genuinely nice people. My wife and I are artist, by hobby, and would like to meet other artist as well. The "most" important concern is we would like to move somewhere where we can raise our little girl where she can be safe and have a good education. Any input would be greatly appreciated. In addition, we are believers and would like to find a good church. Thanks!

Old 10-05-2008, 03:31 PM

189 posts, read 711,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael0777 View Post
My wife and I are from European decent, and we are leaving Texas because we are sick and tired of the hateful ignorant racist rednecks that seem to saturate this state. I can't stress enough about how tired we are with these mean hateful hicks. We consider ourselves simple people but we do have an education and would like to meet people who can talk about more that just nascar and football. The people in Texas will smile and make nice to you then talk about you as soon as your back is turned. Austin, TX is not as bad and that's because you have more educated people which make for a greater mix. We just would like to leave Texas to where it's cooler, not freezing, and can meet with genuinely nice people. My wife and I are artist, by hobby, and would like to meet other artist as well. The "most" important concern is we would like to move somewhere where we can raise our little girl where she can be safe and have a good education. Any input would be greatly appreciated. In addition, we are believers and would like to find a good church. Thanks!
I understand where you're coming from. I lived in TX for 7 years and got quite tired of hearing about college football -- not so much NASCAR, but I have friends in SC who are fans of that -- that's the NASCAR capital of the world.

When I was ready to leave TX, I found Ruidoso, NM and even bought a lot there to build on. It's a very artsy town with reasonably priced homes and relatively low property taxes -- nothing like TX, which was a joke for property taxes -- they and their ISD's. If you've established a circle of friends in TX and don't want to move too far away, yet want a nice 4-season climate, then Ruidoso might be good for you. I think they have good schools, and I know there are lots of churches. If you are skiers or want to ski in the future, Ruidoso has it's own ski resort. The only thing wrong with the town is that it's a tourist trap in the summer, and there isn't too much retail, but if you're NOT a mall type, you might not care; I sure don't. There's always mail-order, and you can get the day-to-day items at the Super Wal-Mart.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw that your way. I eventually moved to the Western Slope of Colorado, but I can't vouch for the art climate in any of the towns here -- except maybe for Telluride, but that's only for multi-millionaires and hippies, so better forget it. I wouldn't live there at any price.

Hope I gave you some food for thought. Good luck to your family.
By the way, 3 of my 7 TX years were spent in Austin -- it wasn't for me except for the prevailing political climate and the bluebonnets in spring.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:39 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,017,446 times
Quote:
Let me see you want great weather, good schools, affordable homes, and low crime...sounds like most conservative places in the USA and not the "artsy" liberal enclaves.

Perhaps if you move to NYC and you'll be happy without the "hicks"...

P.S. Thanks for insulting millions of Americans by saying they are "uneducated hicks" when in reality, they probably know more about life then you ever will. (Even if you don't agree with them - tollerance is a two way street) All the while enjoying the fruits of our land. They do have one way tickets you know...

Old 10-05-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Let me see you want great weather, good schools, affordable homes, and low crime...sounds like most conservative places in the USA and not the "artsy" liberal enclaves.

P.S. Thanks for insulting millions of Americans by saying they are "uneducated hicks" when in reality, they probably know more about life then you ever will. (Even if you don't agree with them - tollerance is a two way street) All the while enjoying the fruits of our land. They do have one way tickets you know...
So you're from New England - East Coast -- now I know the reason for your mean attitude. I'm originally from the northeast -- notice the "from" -- I wouldn't go back if my life depended on it. I've lived in most of the major regions of the country, and know what this good man is talking about. They sound like folks I'd like to have for neighbors. I've lived around hicks, and, believe me, they have nothing to say that's worth my time. They also diminish property values with all their toys and junk sitting outside blighting the neighborhoods. We have a couple households like that on my new street -- brand new, beautiful homes, yet they can't even get one car in the garage. Oh, yeah, and I'm sure they're people who got mortgage loans they had no business having.

A nice artsy couple wanting a safe, good life, and you come on with your sarcasm. He wasn't insulting; he was just telling the truth.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:50 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,381,674 times
Default Asheville, NC

Quote:
Have you considered Asheville, NC? It's liberal and artsy and is cool in the mountains. I hear there are some hippies, but they aren't usually rednecks...

Old 10-05-2008, 06:06 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,381,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post

Uncharacteristically mean response....

Old 10-05-2008, 06:13 PM

4 posts, read 10,615 times
First off, JViello, switch to decaff. Everyone else thank you for your kind comments. My wife and I are reviewing our options then narrowing them down, and from there taking some trips to go see for ourselves. We just hope that where ever we go we don't run in to many people like JViello. God Bless

Old 10-05-2008, 06:47 PM

765 posts, read 1,912,721 times
Quote:
Lol you don't want to talk nascar and football and you want to move to the south.Are you serious???? IMO you are cutting off your nose to spite your face. Go west i don't think you will be happy in the nascar capital of the world. San Francisco,or maybe Washinton state would suit you better.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:02 PM

293 posts, read 910,231 times
The OP sounds so strange that at first I suspected he was a troll. If he really thinks most of the people in Texas are Nascar fans he isn't very smart.

As for religion, he doesn't seem very Christian to me. True Christians don't go around putting people down just because they are different from them. If he does move, I hope he finds a better church. His present one doesn't seem to be doing him much good.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garxhap View Post
The OP sounds so strange that at first I suspected he was a troll. If he really thinks most of the people in Texas are Nascar fans he isn't very smart.

As for religion, he doesn't seem very Christian to me. True Christians don't go around putting people down just because they are different from them. If he does move, I hope he finds a better church. His present one doesn't seem to be doing him much good.
The OP doesn't know anybody out here in cyberspace personally, so I hardly think his comments about redneck southern types are personal, but only generalizations. No matter what part of the country you live in, there will always be samples of people you don't like or want to live next door to. However, the south does seem to have more than its share of the NASCAR/football/beer/smoker types.

Further, naming preferences about where to live and around what type of people is not un-Christian; it's just good research -- the "look before you leap" idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area