Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 05:45 AM

105 posts, read 383,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael0777 View Post
Interesting range of input. Sadly, I still haven't heard about Greenville, SC, and that's what I was inquiring about in the first place. First off, just because I'm an artist doesn't make me liberal it just makes me love to paint. Secondly, perhaps I was a bit enthusiastic about expressing my tiredness of hate and racism, but I just don't see how us being tired of this should take issue with anyone. Look, we heard Greenville, SC was a nice place, with nice people, and good churches. We also heard it has in interest in the arts. On the other hand we have heard about the rednecks. By no means am I classifying rednecks under farmers or ranchers - these are good honest folks. What I mean by redneck is the Jerry Springer type, this is what you see alot of in DFW and is what I want to distant myself from. Look, I just wanted to hear some constructive input about Greenville, SC and I am finding out I made a mistake by even asking.
first off Greenville is a nice city with some nice people, plenty of churches to choose from and the art community as well as the city's support for the arts is good and continues to grow. You would probably want to look into staying in or around downtown, i would think, the North Main area would be a good start....that would also help you avoid the type of people you wish to avoid. It would be worth time to come check it out, and go ahead and check out Asheville while you're in the area, its not one of my favorite places but it may also fit what you are looking for.

secondly, i don't think you made a mistake by asking, its just that your original post came off a little elitest and making broad generalizations about the south, which a lot of people in the south don't take too kindly anymore and are growing tired of. I'm sure you didn't mean for it to come off that way but that's the problem with the internet, things can be taken the wrong way very easily because the subtleties of verbal conversation don't come through...have you ever tried to be sarcastic on a message board...most people will think you're an ass if you do...

....good luck.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:16 AM

189 posts, read 710,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellagrace View Post
I live in SC and I hate NASCAR. Everything to do with NASCAR! I don't watch football at all. Don't care who wins, college or pro. The only thing that I HATE is people who argue and talk too much.
There's nothing wrong with NASCAR and football, only that some of their fans are the types some of the posters on here don't like. Where I was born and raised (New Jersey), people are not interested in much of anything, certainly not current events. It's healthy to argue and talk (even too much as long as it doesn't get out of hand).

Also, I have to comment on some waves of thought on this thread that hints if you're a Christian, you're automatically a Conservative. I have never voted Republican in any national election, and do not plan to start this year. There are many good decent people on the liberal side of the aisle who fight for the "working man/woman" and don't want to destroy the environment. I am pro-life, by the way, but do not think any politician can legislate morality, especially in this secular society. The country has gone wrong because people are having kids and not teaching them at home how to act and how to follow God's principles. I don't care how many "conversative" judges get onto the Supreme Court -- they aren't going to sway the tide of infanticide unless societal attitudes change at the root, which is the home.

I had thought about relocating to either TN or NC, but I can't put up with "Bible belt" people (especially those who think Catholics are not Christian), so I will stay where I am -- in the mountain west where I've realized I'm very happy afterall.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:26 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,002,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael0777 View Post
Interesting range of input. Sadly, I still haven't heard about Greenville, SC, and that's what I was inquiring about in the first place. First off, just because I'm an artist doesn't make me liberal it just makes me love to paint. Secondly, perhaps I was a bit enthusiastic about expressing my tiredness of hate and racism, but I just don't see how us being tired of this should take issue with anyone. Look, we heard Greenville, SC was a nice place, with nice people, and good churches. We also heard it has in interest in the arts. On the other hand we have heard about the rednecks. By no means am I classifying rednecks under farmers or ranchers - these are good honest folks. What I mean by redneck is the Jerry Springer type, this is what you see alot of in DFW and is what I want to distant myself from. Look, I just wanted to hear some constructive input about Greenville, SC and I am finding out I made a mistake by even asking.
Okay well that sounds a lot different than your first post to me...so I recant some of what I said and apologize if I offended you.

To me at first it came across like an Obama speach in Europe talking about how much those dumb, ignorant, NASCAR watching, cowboy Americans just don't get it and are not "enlightened". That makes my neckhair stand up and causes me to reach for my "gun and bible".

I would just suggest trying not to paint EVERYONE with a wide brush. Bad folks are bad folks and good people are good people...rich or poor, and they exist everywhere.

BTW you seem to be talking about a phenomenon better known as TPT. (Trailer Park Trash.) LOL

And to other posters, I'm a split. Half Yankee half Southerner but 100% "country" boy. It's an internal stuggle...Sorry.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:51 AM

2 posts, read 4,027 times
Asheville, NC would be a good place to try. I don't think he is being unreasonable to try and find a "hick-free" zone in the south. At least he is being honest about it.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:01 AM

4 posts, read 10,605 times
Many thanks for the additional postings, and JViello no worries, just an obvious misunderstanding. We have been looking at Asheville as an option as well, but have heard some more positives about Greenville. Given the close proximity between the two we could see both. I saw the photos someone posted of downtown and I must say we were extremely impressed. Much of the architecture has a European influence. Hats off to those who have revamped the downtown area. As far as nature is concerned we are looking forward to leaving the cement jungle and communing with nature, and this area has a reputation for being very nice. We would like very much for our next home to be surrounded by big trees and nice neighbors

Old 10-06-2008, 11:16 AM

1,841 posts, read 3,173,185 times
[quote=JViello;5561542]Let me see you want great weather, good schools, affordable homes, and low crime...sounds like most conservative places in the USA and not the "artsy" liberal enclaves.

Perhaps if you move to NYC and you'll be happy without the "hicks"...

P.S. Thanks for insulting millions of Americans by saying they are "uneducated hicks" when in reality, they probably know more about life then you ever will. (Even if you don't agree with them - tollerance is a two way street) All the while enjoying the fruits of our land. They do have one way tickets you know...[/quote]
WOW! God forbid he insult a million americans when the likes do the same to foreigners? A bit contradictory don't you think?
BTW you did an excellent job of showing the two way street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garxhap View Post
The OP sounds so strange that at first I suspected he was a troll. If he really thinks most of the people in Texas are Nascar fans he isn't very smart.

As for religion, he doesn't seem very Christian to me. True Christians don't go around putting people down just because they are different from them. If he does move, I hope he finds a better church. His present one doesn't seem to be doing him much good.
Really? Are you ready to stand behind this 100%?
I lived in Tx, killeen to be exact and I liked it mainly because of the large diversity but some of these other small towns? I would not step foot there passing through was enough!
As far as christians? My in-laws are from the south and devout so called christians yet behind closed doors? Some of the biggest hypocrites I have ever seen, making remarks about AA, Hispanics, and foreigners in general, not very godly is it?

Old 10-06-2008, 01:36 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,002,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr74 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Let me see you want great weather, good schools, affordable homes, and low crime...sounds like most conservative places in the USA and not the "artsy" liberal enclaves.

Perhaps if you move to NYC and you'll be happy without the "hicks"...

P.S. Thanks for insulting millions of Americans by saying they are "uneducated hicks" when in reality, they probably know more about life then you ever will. (Even if you don't agree with them - tollerance is a two way street) All the while enjoying the fruits of our land. They do have one way tickets you know...
WOW! God forbid he insult a million americans when the likes do the same to foreigners? A bit contradictory don't you think?
BTW you did an excellent job of showing the two way street.
(I fixed your quotes for you)

Blah blah blah blah...I guess you missed my post above. It was a misunderstanding.

But since we are on the subject...

I guess you live in one of those "borderless" worlds as well. Well, I don't. If someone from another country wants to disrespect my country, you're damn right I'm going to show them the door. "Oh, we have to be careful we don't want to offend the Europeans now." Give me a break. I show respect where it is deserved.

P.S. I never said *I* was tollerant to everything.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:51 AM

607 posts, read 1,402,334 times
Funny, I moved from the Charlotte area and welcomed the break from the NASCAR-Mania here in Greenville...LOL! Hey - a little NASCAR never hurt anybody!
Seriously, no matter where you go there will be people that see things differently than you do. Stand firm to whatever you believe and respect you neighbors, and all will be well - whether in Simpsonville SC or NYC or PeoriA...

Old 10-07-2008, 12:11 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,765,861 times
SC is Deep South,Alot of "Rural"Area's doesnt sound like a good fit....

Old 10-07-2008, 08:15 PM

161 posts, read 423,326 times
I grew up in Greenville, moved to TX when 23 followed by NC and Canada. I just moved back to the Carolinas this summer. You will hear of things like Racing etc... but that is what they like here. Nothing wrong with it. I personally do not care for it but I do not mind someone expression a passion about something. You have your artist lifestyle, someone else likes cars. To each is own.

Give the people a chance and get to know them a little better. Remember it is not where you live that will make you it is what you choose to make of it that will fullfill you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area