Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 09:02 AM

503 posts, read 937,456 times

Advertisements

Greenville, is by far a conservative and straight city. It would be very hard to find anyone who shares your social beliefs. Just so you know the truth.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:17 AM

54 posts, read 147,618 times
g vegas that didn't sound very welcoming to me. From previous posts I have read there are many people who have moved to Greenville of various beliefs, backgrounds, sexual orientations who seem to have adjusted very easily. Again, this would depend on the location in the area I assume.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:24 AM

915 posts, read 2,424,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-vegas View Post
Greenville, is by far a conservative and straight city. It would be very hard to find anyone who shares your social beliefs. Just so you know the truth.
Hard to find, except at the two gay bars (that I know of), or through the 6+ gay/lesbian organizations already in Greenville? Apart from that, I'd find it hard to believe that such a "straight" area would have 3 PFLAG chapters in the Upstate alone.

Listen, I'm 100% straight (married with a son), but what the hell is a straight city? I'm not saying Greenville is ever going to rank on a list of America's Gay-Friendly Cities, but come on, it's not like he'd be shunned.

Seriously original poster, do the research, visit Greenville, and make the decision for yourself.

PS - I just found out what "Buppie" meant.

Last edited by ckeegan; 10-17-2008 at 10:38 AM..

Old 10-17-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeegan View Post
Hard to find, except at the two gay bars (that I know of), or through the 6+ gay/lesbian organizations already in Greenville? Apart from that, I'd find it hard to believe that such a "straight" area would have 3 PFLAG chapters in the Upstate alone.

Listen, I'm 100% straight (married with a son), but what the hell is a straight city? I'm not saying Greenville is ever going to rank on a list of America's Gay-Friendly Cities, but come on, it's not like he'd be shunned.

Seriously original poster, do the research, visit Greenville, and make the decision for yourself.

PS - I just found out what "Buppie" meant.

So you are telling me if a gay person walked into a resturant with his "partner" and was holding his hand he would not be made fun of, nice try. Or what about that guy boy a couple years ago that went into brews and got killed. You know as well as I do that Greenville is not a place where gays reside. I am not trying to be mean, just telling the facts.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm22206 View Post
g vegas that didn't sound very welcoming to me. From previous posts I have read there are many people who have moved to Greenville of various beliefs, backgrounds, sexual orientations who seem to have adjusted very easily. Again, this would depend on the location in the area I assume.

Sometimes the facts hurt. I just dont want to give someone the wrong impression, thats all.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:07 AM

915 posts, read 2,424,611 times
Quote:
So you are telling me if a gay person walked into a resturant with his "partner" and was holding his hand he would not be made fun of, nice try. Or what about that guy boy a couple years ago that went into brews and got killed. You know as well as I do that Greenville is not a place where gays reside. I am not trying to be mean, just telling the facts.
Getting looks? Name a city where that doesn't happen. You may get more looks in Greenville, sure.

As for violence, there's no way to change the incident at Brews, but I'm pretty sure we're not the only city that has experienced a similar situation.

As far as Greenville not being a place where gays reside, check your facts, or get out from under your rock.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:09 AM

54 posts, read 147,618 times
I have read several posts on here from gay couples who live in Greenville. As far as the alleged bar incident, that could happen in Chicago or anywhere else for that matter.There are always going to be those who do not agree with everyone's lifestyle or beliefs, but people need to learn to accept that everyone is different. You can't label an entire city as straight or conservative. There will always be those who are not either one. I am just saying that as much as you would like to believe that everyone is a conservative christian in Greenville who has the same beliefs is simply not the case.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:28 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,843,540 times
Quote:
So you are telling me if a gay person walked into a restaurant with his "partner" and was holding his hand he would not be made fun of, nice try. Or what about that guy boy a couple years ago that went into brews and got killed. You know as well as I do that Greenville is not a place where gays reside. I am not trying to be mean, just telling the facts.
I see many people on a daily basis(really, daily) who are homosexual, and they come into my restaurant holding hands . wow scary isn't it?. How much time exactly do you spend downtown? because I am there everyday and I know what I see, I can think of more than 5 restaurants downtown that have multiple gay employees and two bars that have a very regular gay clientele. So what Greenville are you talking about?

Old 10-17-2008, 02:05 PM

470 posts, read 595,578 times
Some of you people crack me up... Do you live in a bubble?

First I lean to the conservative side and I am not gay.

But I would rather live next door to a gay couple who were friendly than some of the Gues...errr, I mean posters in this forum. Please continue to read the forum, read older posts and I'm sure you'll form your own opinions of who is helpful and those who have some other weird motives of posting ( I mean really, get a hobby besides lurking for new posters and shooting down their hopes and dreams and telling them that you doing them a service, like you care about them...). And look at all the post of the pictures of Greenville there are some beautiful areas!
And then if your interested visit, I spent 9 days on our first visit and really would have liked more time to explore the area. And If I had to do it all again the only thing I would have changed is that I would have stayed as close to Main Street as possible. As I said the City is really just beginning to grow and the Main Street area will you give you a good idea of where the city is headed.
I would also take ride to the mountains, maybe Cesar's Head and the lakes Keowee or Jocassee. Then look at a map and realize how close many weekend / day trips are, Charleston, the ocean, Charlotte, Atlanta, the mountains, and the lakes. Because no matter how much you like Greenville it's nice to get away once in a while and Greenville, at least for me is in a great location for that.

Good Luck!

Old 10-17-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
I see many people on a daily basis(really, daily) who are homosexual, and they come into my restaurant holding hands . wow scary isn't it?. How much time exactly do you spend downtown? because I am there everyday and I know what I see, I can think of more than 5 restaurants downtown that have multiple gay employees and two bars that have a very regular gay clientele. So what Greenville are you talking about?

I did not say Greenville had no gays, just said if he wants a place more welcoming to his lifestyle this is not really that place. There other cities that have more people that would agree with him socially. Last time I checked we have never voted anyone into office that was gay, Greenville has not held any gay rallies and there are plenty of other cities that have. Since when is it wrong to tell someone on this forum, information on a city and its overwhelming statistics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area