Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 11:17 PM

835 posts, read 2,306,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
I know tons of single gay men here in Greenville, not sure where you live, but i'm a straight married man and have tons of gay and straight single guy friends here in the area. Why would I lie? Most of the time I say the same thing most others say, "visit greenville, see for yourself." thats all that needs to be said. And what the heck do you have against liberals? worried that maybe someday very soon they WILL outnumber the conservatives in Greenville? I could care less, liberal or conservative, I just want other people to see Greenville the way I do, because I love it.

P.S. in case you hadn't noticed, I am a bit liberal
I'm not sure where you live because I don't see a lot of gay people in Greenville. Why would you lie? As I said before, because you would want to increase the number of liberals such as yourself. I'm not telling you anything you don't know by saying that most gay people are not going to be Republicans.(ok, there are some)

I have nothing against liberals. I'm not even a conservative. Now, if I could choose who would come here it'd be conservatives because many liberals equate their dislike of republicans with dislike for the republican South. This is unfortunate. I'm not a republican but you don't see me saying "I hate the South." Wouldn't it be easier just to say "I hate republicans"?

P.S.- I'm not trying to be mean but I had thought up until this post that you were a lady lol sorry.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeegan View Post
Crazy. That comment ranks you up there with some I've seen from guestposter. Do you know a lot of gay Greenville-ians that felt as if they didn't belong? Yes, Greenville is a conservative place, but that has virtually no impact on acceptance of outsiders.
I knew a guy who acted...shall we say flamboyant? Well, he didn't come out of the closet until he moved away.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbar1 View Post
But I would rather live next door to a gay couple who were friendly than some of the Gues...errr, I mean posters in this forum. Please continue to read the forum, read older posts and I'm sure you'll form your own opinions of who is helpful and those who have some other weird motives of posting ( I mean really, get a hobby besides lurking for new posters and shooting down their hopes and dreams and telling them that you doing them a service, like you care about them...). And look at all the post of the pictures of Greenville there are some beautiful areas!
And then if your interested visit, I spent 9 days on our first visit and really would have liked more time to explore the area. And If I had to do it all again the only thing I would have changed is that I would have stayed as close to Main Street as possible. As I said the City is really just beginning to grow and the Main Street area will you give you a good idea of where the city is headed.
I would also take ride to the mountains, maybe Cesar's Head and the lakes Keowee or Jocassee. Then look at a map and realize how close many weekend / day trips are, Charleston, the ocean, Charlotte, Atlanta, the mountains, and the lakes. Because no matter how much you like Greenville it's nice to get away once in a while and Greenville, at least for me is in a great location for that.

Good Luck!
I somehow guess that you are speaking about me. I love how you like to paint a picture of me as some sort of loser who waits around all day and night just for the complete joy of I get out discouraging people to move here. Could we not paint everyone on here as a loser for taking pictures of Greenville and posting them online for no reason? Really, the fact that you are even posting on here could be considered sad. What are you gaining from it? There's not a reason for every activity someone chooses to do.

Weird motives? I care about Greenville as much as anybody else on this website does...it's just on the opposite side of the spectrum.

I'm a mean poster because I tell the truth huh? I thought people from big cities like Chicago liked bluntness. In real life, I'm a nice guy and not in a insincere way.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:29 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,383,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
I'm not sure where you live because I don't see a lot of gay people in Greenville. Why would you lie? As I said before, because you would want to increase the number of liberals such as yourself. I'm not telling you anything you don't know by saying that most gay people are not going to be Republicans.(ok, there are some)

I have nothing against liberals. I'm not even a conservative. Now, if I could choose who would come here it'd be conservatives because many liberals equate their dislike of republicans with dislike for the republican South. This is unfortunate. I'm not a republican but you don't see me saying "I hate the South." Wouldn't it be easier just to say "I hate republicans"?

P.S.- I'm not trying to be mean but I had thought up until this post that you were a lady lol sorry.
Actually, NoodlesKnowles is not lying. In my opinion, which is based on firsthand experiential knowledge, he is obviously well aware of life in the diverse city of Greenville today. Don't forget that he just moved here from Michigan almost a year ago, so if anything, he would likely be much more skeptical about such matters - if your logic were completely true in this case.

You shouldn't claim people are lying based on your perception that their experience has been - for whatever reason - intentionally falsified, experientially skewed, or just plain not valid.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:36 AM

Quote:
I knew a guy who acted...shall we say flamboyant? Well, he didn't come out of the closet until he moved away.
I know people who have "come out of the closet" while living right here in the Upstate. They still happily live here, by the way, in case you are concerned.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:47 AM

Quote:
No one said it was like San Fransisco. They make Greenville sound like it sometimes.

Just like people saying how Greenville is sooo different from the rest of our state and how rural people are "backwards". However, when someone wants to move to Inman, etc. then those places become "small-towns with charm".
I believe the small towns are both charming and backwards. If someone is interested in a small town then it is not wrong to provide a bit of information that may be helpful in their search. Unless they provide more criteria, it is worthwhile to share the positive elements found in many of the places.

You seem afraid of any potential comparisons between Greenville and San Francisco (again, not that I have seen them apart from your claim), yet you have not shared enough reasonable evidence to support your initial statement about it.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:21 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,010,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Who is overlooking the region's roots?...

...Greenville is indeed an ever-changing city. Do not overlook the good changes, nor the roots of positive change we see today. Tradition certainly has its place here, but it will not stand in the way of progression. Accept change for what it is and learn how it can enhance your personal world-view. Not all change is good, but don't be surprised when it does occasionally improve life in this city.
You totally missed the point. My post had two components to it.

1. That Greenville is and always has been a morally conservative place. Said place has not - ever, been known to being very open of homosexual behavior. (Regardless if I agree or not, that's reality.)

2. IMO Said conservative values over the decades is what set Greenville up to become what it is and continues to be. What do you think conservatives generally stand for? Low taxes, less government (I know I know we have a bunch of RINO's in power now but stay with me for a minute), traditional family values (Stay at home moms, traditional marriage, etc), capitalism (Which means you Joe Burger Flipper can open your own gourmet burger place on Main Street, work hard and become something by your own effort) Strong sense of patriotism(Which shows up even in regionally by supporting your region much like folks do in Gville) Personal Responsibility (for yourself and your actions) and so on.

I can give more examples, but IMHO it's those very values that has made Greenvile not fall into what many other cities in the nation have such as Hartford, CT, Newark, NJ, Lawrence MA or many cities in California what have a cost of living so far out of sight the American dream is all but a fantasy at this point unless you take out interest only mortgages.

I would hate to see Greenville abandon the very things that have kept it "pure" if you will as I believe it will cause the city to fall into the same trap many others in our nation have.

Understand what I mean now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm22206 View Post
I'm not familiar with a "Bordeaux type" city...I am familiar with the city in France, however, is that what you were referring to?
Really? So you don't know any cities in the world that would remind you of Bordeaux? My bad...sorry, I just figured being such a "worldly city" you would have understood what I was saying.

Oh, and it wasn't an insult...Bordeaux is quiet a lovely place.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
1. That Greenville is and always has been a morally conservative place. Said place has not - ever, been known to being very open of homosexual behavior. (Regardless if I agree or not, that's reality.)
Greenville has not been known as being many things that it is now becoming, and if I may say, it was not always a place most people wanted to live. You do have to acknowledge certain changes, some (perhaps many) of which are considerably more liberal than the conservative traditions passed down among a portion of local families who have resided in the region for multiple decades - even multiple generations. As a part of these United States of America, growth and change have been a continual process in this region as citizens and foreign-born people have the right to migrate and set down roots in our neighborhoods. It is just the way things are, like it or not. While the history of this city certainly includes conservative roots, new roots are being laid every year, adding much more diversity to the mix and ultimately strengthening the quality of life for the vast majority of people living here today. We can't remain stuck in the past while the present is changing and an unknown future is approaching fast. That may work in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania (which I love visiting, by the way), but this region has never upheld those rigid values of self-preservation, nor could we hope to become as successful at it, since that part of the country is nearly agriculturally perfect.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:45 AM

503 posts, read 937,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Greenville has not been known as being many things that it is now becoming, and if I may say, it was not always a place most people wanted to live. You do have to acknowledge certain changes, some (perhaps many) of which are considerably more liberal than the conservative traditions passed down among a portion of local families who have resided in the region for multiple decades - even multiple generations. As a part of these United States of America, growth and change have been a continual process in this region as citizens and foreign-born people have the right to migrate and set down roots in our neighborhoods. It is just the way things are, like it or not. While the history of this city certainly includes conservative roots, new roots are being laid every year, adding much more diversity to the mix and ultimately strengthening the quality of life for the vast majority of people living here today. We can't remain stuck in the past while the present is changing and an unknown future is approaching fast. That may work in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania (which I love visiting, by the way), but this region has never upheld those rigid values of self-preservation, nor could we hope to become as successful at it, since that part of the country is nearly agriculturally perfect.

Well almost every city as it grows turns more liberal, and then government sticks their nose in further and further into our busines, along with raising taxes, unions and all the other liberal stuff. All we are trying to do is keep Greenville from getting to be like that. There are plenty of other cities that would love to have lots of liberals; San Francisco, Chicago, New York, Detroit, Miami and may more. Why cant we all have to go liberal, why cant the conservatives have a place to live the way they want. I know if someone is gay that is "their business" but then we have them demanding equal marriage rights, they start voting in more liberal people into office and then Greenville is changed. It is a whole lot more than just a harmless gay person in Greenville.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:58 AM

54 posts, read 147,618 times
Really? So you don't know any cities in the world that would remind you of Bordeaux? My bad...sorry, I just figured being such a "worldly city" you would have understood what I was saying.

Oh, and it wasn't an insult...Bordeaux is quiet a lovely place.

Well, it did sound fairly condescending but I overlooked that...I have been to France several times including Bordeaux...You are right it is a lovely place. I had just never heard it used in that form of reference that's all. And yes, Greenville is becoming quite a worldly city...not quotes really needed there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area