Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 02:24 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,875,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Keep in mind that I'm not particularly fond of any option on that list. I was simply trying to help out a visitor passing through town. Brushy Creek probably comes closest to matching the OP's request, although it isn't my favorite place for BBQ in the Upstate. The best bbq I bought came from chefs without a stationary "restaurant."

Other options to try include both Mutts locations in Greer and Easley.

Mutts BBQ, Easley SC

Oh - gee, I'm glad that you clarified that for me. I was using this list as the "insider's guide" to the best barbecue. I'm going to need to retrace my steps and search former threads to compile a new list to attack....glad you stopped me. After all, your reputation is on the line here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 06:36 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,188,965 times
Okay, here's how I'd try to find the best bbq joints...

Word of mouth
See what places are on multiple & reputable lists time and time again

SCBA Top BBQ Joints: South Carolina Department of Parks, Recreation & (all SC)
South Carolina Barbecue Restaurants | Urbanspoon (all SC)
Greenville BBQ Restaurants: 10Best Barbecue & Barbeque Reviews Greenville
Best of Metromix Greenville: BBQ | Metromix Greenville Greenville

Old 08-30-2011, 08:55 PM

899 posts, read 2,288,968 times
The SC Tourism site provides a good list of some of the top BBQ joints around the state. http://dining.discoversouthcarolina....a-top-bbq.aspx
I've found that most folks in other parts of the state know the names Henry's and Smokin' Stokes when talking about BBQ joints in Greenville. As you move to the lower parts of the state, many of the places on that list are really famous among BBQ lovers around the state: I'm talking about Shealy's in Batesburg-Leesville, Sweatman's in Holly Hill, McCabe's in Manning, Hite's in Batesburg, and Duke's in Orangeburg. I've not been to them all but those could comprise the top dogs in SC BBQ with maybe a few others. Hudson's in Lexington is popular and really good as well. I also like Doc's BBQ buffet when in Columbia which is out by the stadium. One of my favorites in the Upstate is Bubba's BBQ in Spartanburg close to the mall. They've got it all and great smoke flavor on the meat - plus calabash chicken that they hand bread when ordered.

If you are really into BBQ, Mark Quinn over at ETV ran a series on BBQ in South Carolina that gave a behind-the-scenes look at a lot of BBQ places like those I mentioned. I think if you go to the ETV website you can sometimes find their programs archived. IIRC they were even at Smokin' Stokes. The Cheerwine sauce there is pretty darn unique after all!

Old 08-31-2011, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovator82 View Post
The SC Tourism site provides a good list of some of the top BBQ joints around the state. SCBA Top BBQ Joints: South Carolina Department of Parks, Recreation &
I've found that most folks in other parts of the state know the names Henry's and Smokin' Stokes when talking about BBQ joints in Greenville. As you move to the lower parts of the state, many of the places on that list are really famous among BBQ lovers around the state: I'm talking about Shealy's in Batesburg-Leesville, Sweatman's in Holly Hill, McCabe's in Manning, Hite's in Batesburg, and Duke's in Orangeburg. I've not been to them all but those could comprise the top dogs in SC BBQ with maybe a few others. Hudson's in Lexington is popular and really good as well. I also like Doc's BBQ buffet when in Columbia which is out by the stadium. One of my favorites in the Upstate is Bubba's BBQ in Spartanburg close to the mall. They've got it all and great smoke flavor on the meat - plus calabash chicken that they hand bread when ordered.

If you are really into BBQ, Mark Quinn over at ETV ran a series on BBQ in South Carolina that gave a behind-the-scenes look at a lot of BBQ places like those I mentioned. I think if you go to the ETV website you can sometimes find their programs archived. IIRC they were even at Smokin' Stokes. The Cheerwine sauce there is pretty darn unique after all!

Is this it? (video on page) Dukes looks good!

http://www.scetv.org/index.php/the_b...ure/show/bbq1/

Old 08-31-2011, 07:06 AM

915 posts, read 2,425,067 times
Quote:
The SC Tourism site provides a good list of some of the top BBQ joints around the state. SCBA Top BBQ Joints: South Carolina Department of Parks, Recreation &
Actually kind of surprised that Bucky's didn't make that list. I've been to several places on their list, and I wouldn't even put a few of them in my top 10. Being that I smoke my own pork, I'm pretty particular. If I'm going to pay $5 for a plate, it'd better be pretty good, considering I could make about 2 lbs of pulled pork at home for that price!

Old 08-31-2011, 07:11 AM

899 posts, read 2,288,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Is this it? (video on page) Dukes looks good!

BBQ 2009
Yes! That's it. Plus they have been doing BBQ specials it looks like periodically or every year for the past few years - sometimes they rerun them too. Here's another one from 2010:
BBQ 2010

I feel like they had one on recently for 2011 but couldn't find it on the website yet.

Duke's is great - when I lived in Columbia for a little bit people used to trek down there to pick up batches of their sauce for pig pickin's. If you ever are heading down to Charleston you could always do a quick detour right off 26 to Orangeburg to try Duke's, maybe visit the Edisto Gardens too which are a nice attraction.

Also though a lot of these small town BBQ shacks are only open like Thurs-Sat so it's best to call them for times.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Yes! That's it. Plus they have been doing BBQ specials it looks like periodically or every year for the past few years - sometimes they rerun them too. Here's another one from 2010:
BBQ 2010

I feel like they had one on recently for 2011 but couldn't find it on the website yet.

Duke's is great - when I lived in Columbia for a little bit people used to trek down there to pick up batches of their sauce for pig pickin's. If you ever are heading down to Charleston you could always do a quick detour right off 26 to Orangeburg to try Duke's, maybe visit the Edisto Gardens too which are a nice attraction.

Also though a lot of these small town BBQ shacks are only open like Thurs-Sat so it's best to call them for times.
I could only find a podcast:

BBQ 2011 (http://www.scetv.org/index.php/the_big_picture_podcast/show/bbq_2011_podcast/ - broken link)

Old 02-29-2012, 07:23 AM

FYI Bucky's BBQ Lovers - Groupon has a two day special for $7 that gets you $15 worth of Bucky's!

Dallas Deals: Coupons on Things to Do in Dallas | Groupon Deals (I don't know why this always says Dallas, but the deal is for Greenville)

Good til Sept 5th

One of my top BBQ Joints!

Old 02-29-2012, 09:29 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,386,943 times
For a fun little excursion to a quaint local BBQ "shack," visit Brushy Creek BBQ on S.C. 81 (Anderson Road) between Powdersville and Wren. Easley area residents can reach the restaurant via Brushy Creek Rd. > Crestview /Sitton Hill Rd. > Three Bridges Rd. > Cely Rd. (terminates at Anderson Road, across from the restaurant).

Don't expect outstanding bbq, but the setting is quaint and authentic.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:32 AM

186 posts, read 358,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
FYI Bucky's BBQ Lovers - Groupon has a two day special for $7 that gets you $15 worth of Bucky's!

Dallas Deals: Coupons on Things to Do in Dallas | Groupon Deals (I don't know why this always says Dallas, but the deal is for Greenville)
Good til Sept 5th
One of my top BBQ Joints!
Sneaky tip I occasionally get away with - I use Smokin' Stokes' Cheerwine sauce on Bucky's pork. Yes, angels sing, the Mid East talks peace, and gas prices dip to 25 cents per gallon at the moment of the first bite.
Of course, everything goes back to normal afterward, but I'm just sayin'....

(Nod to the great Brushy Creek. But I liked you best when you were still in the tiny shack....)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area