Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 02:53 PM

78 posts, read 301,797 times

Advertisements

Any restaurant in the area (up to Asheville) that traditionally has done this? I'm talking shrimp and other shellfish, carved beef, maybe fresh sushi, ham?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 12:16 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,822,218 times
You mean ON the holiday?

I really like the Santa brunch held at the Embassy Suites Hotel on Verdae in Greenville. I remember the wonderful shrimp from last year's brunch and that there was a lot of great food, nice atmosphere, etc., and that my granddaughters LOVED their Santa. I'll take mental notes and report back.

We're going again this coming Sunday for my birthday.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:46 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,718,359 times
There's no such holiday called "holiday", so which holiday are you talking about? Arbor Day, Mothers Day, Flag Day, MLK Jr. Day?

Oh, do you mean Christmas, the "holiday" celebrated by over 90% of Americans? It's okay to actually write and say the word, the pc police aren't looking. I promise.

Okay, rant over. I' just really have an issue with the word Christmas being usurped by the word "holiday". It's really just anti-Christian bigotry cloaked under the guise of politically correct tolerance. Sorry to pick on your post, it was just bad timing I suppose. Merry Christmas

Old 12-05-2008, 07:21 AM

Gee, thanks for providing a welcoming environment for posters, Sonrise!

No, by holiday I meant ANY holiday, Mothers Day, Easter, Thanksgiving, New Years Eve, and ....Christmas!

Your sarcasm is not appreciated by anyone, let alone a fellow Christian. I visit and post here less and less because of the judgmental attacks some posters think is necessary to push on everyone. Thanks for making my day!

Old 12-05-2008, 09:55 AM

Buddy,
I wasn't picking on you. I've been posting on this board for three years and the anti-Christian posts have become increasingly vocal; see the thread a few posts down about religious zealots.

Part of the war on Christianity is the subtle removal of the word "Christmas" from our public lexicon and replacing it with the generic term "holiday". Watch some commercials, read some newspaper ads and signs for the next few weeks and you'll see what I mean, "Holiday Tree", "Holiday lights". Heck, Buy.com is running a commercial right now where Howie Mandell says that he's trying to come up with a campaign that says "Hoilday" all the while Christmas music is playing in the background and a man dressed in a Christmas tree outfit is standing next to him. There's no such holiday called holiday, but if we stay silent it may eventually become illegal to utter the words "Merry Christmas". We are in some very scary times and it's time to take a stand.

I apologize for coming off as harsh, you just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. Merry Christmas

Old 12-05-2008, 11:57 AM
acm

11 posts, read 24,868 times
Has any "Christian" stopped and thought that perhaps the replacement of Christmas with "holiday" is an attempt to tone down some of the religious overtones that other faiths and individuals from other cultures may find overbearing?

Or maybe they can get of the "everyone is attacking Jesus" bandwagon long enough to see that "holiday" may just be a way to sum up Christmas and New Year's celebrations into one sentiment...

Since when did the Greenville forum become a place to constantly express "Christian" views?

Like BuddyDog, I find myself visiting less and less due to the attacks and religious overtones...and I am sure this post will earn me some attacks as well...

Old 12-05-2008, 02:58 PM

Ugh, give the off topic stuff a rest people!

How can posting a question in this forum be 'in the wrong place at the wrong time'. Sonrise simply used this thread as a sounding board for his problems -- which was completely assumptive of what I was asking. Can't anyone ask an purely objective question?

Old 12-05-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acm View Post
Has any "Christian" stopped and thought that perhaps the replacement of Christmas with "holiday" is an attempt to tone down some of the religious overtones that other faiths and individuals from other cultures may find overbearing?

Or maybe they can get of the "everyone is attacking Jesus" bandwagon long enough to see that "holiday" may just be a way to sum up Christmas and New Year's celebrations into one sentiment...

Since when did the Greenville forum become a place to constantly express "Christian" views?

Like BuddyDog, I find myself visiting less and less due to the attacks and religious overtones...and I am sure this post will earn me some attacks as well...
So your assuming offense? Christmas is the name of the federal holiday enacted into law by Ulysses S. grant in the 1800's. There is no holiday called holiday. If you moved to Israel would you be "offended" that they celebrate Ros Shoshana or Yum Kippur as federal holidays and demand that everyone start calling it "holiday" in order to "tone down some of the religious overtones" as you put it?

92% of Americans celebrate Christmas yet the pc police insist that we call it Holiday.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:30 AM

192 posts, read 429,861 times
Time out, children . . .

Can anyone answer the question BuddyDog originally asked? Seems the original poster was not asking specifically about a Christmas buffet . . . but more a place in our area that regularly does nice buffets on holidays.

Several years ago, my husband and I went to a delicious buffet for Easter (at least I think it was Easter) held at the Marriott over by Michelin. Buddy, that might be a place to call and check out to see if it's something they do regularly :-)

Can anyone recommend other places they've been to for holiday (year-round!) buffets?

Thanks!

Old 12-06-2008, 02:07 PM

835 posts, read 2,308,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyDog View Post
No, by holiday I meant ANY holiday, Mothers Day, Easter, Thanksgiving, New Years Eve, and ....Christmas!
I think if it wasn't around Christmas no one would have jumped on you. People are starting to take political correctness to an insane level (holiday trees? Gimme a break.) and many other people are on edge with the use of "holiday."

If you had been speaking strictly of Christmas, I would've said something as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area