Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 11:09 AM

49 posts, read 114,446 times

Advertisements

For quite sometime now, my husband and I are considering a move south. Presently, we live on Long Island (I was born and raised here and my husband is from cow country in upstate New York).

While he has traveling this country far more extensively than I have, his last contact with the south (other than a few golf junkets to Myrtle Beach) was about 15 or more years ago. A lot has changed everywhere in that time -- so he is no longer familiar.

To that end, his business is within the fitness industry. He runs a higher end healthclub here -- and also still maintains some clients for personal training. I, too, am a certified trainer -- but this is not my bread and butter.

Long segue way into my question (sorry!): are there a lot of health clubs or gyms in the area? If so, what is the ration of the more upscale clubs to bare bones facilities? Is the general population in Greenville (and surrounding communities) into fitness? Is there a high demend for personal training?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 08:27 AM

137 posts, read 397,061 times
Actually, I think you needed all that introduction Kathealy to properly pose the question! Unfortunately, I'm not a health-club professional, so I can't get into the answer you are really seeking. However, I don't like to see your question go un-answered for so long, so here's my take on it. I've been to Long Island once to play golf. It seems to be a place drawing its residents from the wealthiest strata of those working in one of the largest cities in the world. So it has a very different makeup from most communities, and should be one of the largest, homogenious affluent communities in the world.

So my answer is more one based on social "geography". Logically, you husband would have to find similar social geography to find something close to the levels of health-clubs you describe. There are probably no "high-end" health clubs in Greenville. There might not be any in all of South Carolina, or maybe one or two in Columbia.

On the other hand, as you can read from other Northerners or once-Northerners posting on this forum, you need way less money to afford nice housing here than in NY. So the standard of living may be the same here with a lesser paying job. But if the status of the type of club worked is important to the resume, for future job jumps, you may need to look at larger cities in the South, like Atlanta. That's the best I can do. Hope you get some input from some professionals soon though!

Also, as to fitness, I moved here from California a year ago and was surprised to find how many people just forget about outdoor tennis here from November until April. This although the weather is hardly cooler than that out west. I would have to say there is less interest in health and fitness here than in metropolitan areas in California. If I could generalize though (and I admit to all kinds of prejudice!) I feel the native Southerners, which comprise a fair percent of the population, are less into health awareness than are the "imports". To be really clear on this and not incite any flaming, I'm saying this based on percentages of the population that are into health issues, not the degree of zeal or earnestness an individual may have. So if I'm right on this, then that's a factor affecting any Southern city. Again, I would say Atlanta would be the best bet for opportunities, mostly because of having some fairly large affluent suburbs, and secondly for having the cosmopolitan mix with a lot of outsiders.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:51 PM

Thank you for responding -- I appreciate it.

I chose my words poorly: high end health club for me is not synonymous with an affluent -- 'ritzy' health club ie., like an Equinox which is a ridiculous amount of money (upwards of $125 per month plus an euqally ridiculous registration fee) that is more a spa than gym.

My definition of higher end would be a gym that has many fitness classes including yoga, pilates, Zumba, latest technology equipment, full weight training area that has excellent lighting, clean facility, staff that uses very current techniques versus a 'lifting' gym that is dark, dank -- and relies on the tried-and-true iron barbells and dumbbells only with 'spitoons' next to the squat rack for someone to vomit in after they push themselves too far.

When I search the yellow pages on line for gyms/health clubs -- seemingly there are a lot of them in Greenville alone (43) with 210 options in the area within 50 miles of the center of Greenville.

My best friend was a resident of Raleigh -- and there were a lot of options as well as personal training was a huge success there. I believe the hourly fee there was more than my husband's fee here in NY.

Again, thanks for your thoughtful reply. I guess I won't know much else until I make the trip down there for an extended period of time, rather than the weekend trip I had been planning.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:24 PM

Just bumping this up as we are still on our search. We plan on moving in less than a year from now.

We are looking for a home in the 200-250k range with 3 bedrooms, 2 baths -- and some (but not a lot) of backyard for our 3 dogs.

I work as an Executive Assistant to the CEO of a larger and successful public company as well as train clients (personal training focused on lifestyle fitness, reformer pilates and weight training). My husband is former semi-pro soccer player who is the manager of a wonderful fitness facility who also personal trains clients from time-to-time.

I would need to commute to a business district for daytime work -- and not commute more than 45 minutes each way per day.

The northern part of South Carolina is more intriguing to us -- but only because we are not familiar with the other areas at this time.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Old 07-18-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurx View Post
But if the status of the type of club worked is important to the resume, for future job jumps, you may need to look at larger cities in the South, like Atlanta. That's the best I can do. Hope you get some input from some professionals soon though!

BTW -- we did get to Atlanta this past February. We liked it - but don't think the cost of living there is as affordable as we are looking for. Atlanta is still a consideration at this time.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:31 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,537,926 times
I am sorry for the lack of info we've provided you. It might mean that most of us aren't familiar with what you are asking. I will tell you that the gym that is listed in Mauldin is closed. I believe there were a few others around Greenville that also closed at some time. Some may have since reopened but not Mauldin. I agree with thurx that Atlanta might be more well suited for your needs. And my that is going to mean almost any commute will be 45 minutes or longer. Have you looked into Asheville, NC? It is close by and might be better suited than Greenville.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:53 PM

Thank you for the information.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:18 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,663,287 times
Greenville has quite a few fitness facilities, I will do my best to describe the ones I have used from a user perspective:

YMCAs - These often have fitness trainers which you pay (I think), but I am guessing most are not to NYC standards. The facilities themselves range from 20-40 year old buildings to at least one that is newly renovated and gorgeous near downtown Greenville. Zumba, yoga, and lots of classes are held here. Lots of locations just in Greenville county.
GHS Lifecenter - a somewhat high-end gym supported by a local hospital
Fitness 19 - a low price gym with no group classes, but individual personal trainers
SportsClub - the old racquet club, very popular, fairly high entry fee, but they have a newer facility in one of Greenville's suburbs that I have heard has to be seen to be believed. I am sure they compete with the Y with regards to classes and fees and trainers. I've never been but the wife went for awhile.
Coop's - a lifting gym that is trying to be female-friendly, imo. Good location.

These are all gyms that I have some personal experience with. I take advantage of the Y's trainers that are "free" every 12 weeks, but other than that, I don't pay a trainer on a regular basis. I see a few people who do, but the "class instructors" seem more popular and prevalent than the individual personal trainers at these gyms.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:25 AM

85 posts, read 144,946 times
Greenville SC has many fine fitness centers. Sportsclub has 3 excellent facilities with many classes beginning at 5:30am and ending around 8:30pm. Spinning, RPm, Body Pump, Zumba, Combat, Pilates, Yoga, Aqua Fitness, boot camp, senior fitness, etc. We also have a Life Center which is also an excellent facility. Sportsclub is locally owned. We have many "chain gyms" like Peak Fitness and many wonderful YMCAs. There is a huge cycling, running, and triathlete community here also. Many group rides and runs going on all spring and summer. I believe the upstate has a good share of active people. Check out some of these on the internet.... Greenville Spinners, Greenville Track Club, Upstate Triathlon Club, SportsclubSC.com. This may help you some!

Old 07-20-2010, 05:23 AM

Hobo and JT -- THANK YOU! This is great information. My husband will love the triathlete aspect as he is big into that!

Appreciate the help on the gym part.

NOW...... based on the fitness/wellness connection, what areas do you suggest for us to move to make this kind of lifestyle convenient?

Thank you again -- I truly appreciate your time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area