Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 12:39 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,714,762 times

Advertisements

To me this isn't a conservative or liberal issue, it's a health issue. We're the lowest of all 50 states in cigarette tax as well, thankfully governor Sanford is about to change that.

U.S. Flunks on Tobacco Control Report Card on Yahoo! Health
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 01:19 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,804,340 times
75% of citizens in state including me want cigarette tax hike: S.C. Politics Today (http://thestatecom.typepad.com/ygatoday/2009/01/poll-75-in-sc-want-cigarette-tax-hike.html - broken link)

Old 01-14-2009, 05:34 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,611,482 times
Wasn't there a proposal by the governor (several years ago) to raise the cigarette tax to a $1 per pack and then eliminate the state income tax?
7 cents a pack is just pathetic...

Old 01-14-2009, 05:48 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,036,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
75% of citizens in state including me want cigarette tax hike: S.C. Politics Today (http://thestatecom.typepad.com/ygatoday/2009/01/poll-75-in-sc-want-cigarette-tax-hike.html - broken link)
A poll of 500 individuals does not reflect the entire state

Besides, why punish people for an addiction? I would rather deal with smokers as opposed to drinkers who have the capability to harm others. Yet there is no large increase in alcohol taxes

On the flip side, I suppose the best way to encourage people to quit smoking is to cause a price spike. Then who knows what people will pawn off or steal to get their fix.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:07 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,714,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
A poll of 500 individuals does not reflect the entire state

Besides, why punish people for an addiction? I would rather deal with smokers as opposed to drinkers who have the capability to harm others. Yet there is no large increase in alcohol taxes

On the flip side, I suppose the best way to encourage people to quit smoking is to cause a price spike. Then who knows what people will pawn off or steal to get their fix.
Well, I can't get second hand drunk, but cigarette smoke stinks to high heavens, and smells up clothes, hair, not to mention an entire restaurant. The idea of smoking and non smoking sections is laughable; as if the smoke knows where to stop. lol On a side note, Fatz in Greer went totally non smoking. Yes! power to the people.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:57 PM

23 posts, read 58,893 times
Are the anti smokers here smarter than a yankee?

Taxing tobacco paves the way for a fat tax for ya'll too.

They laughed a few years ago, not so much anymore. NY's gov Patterson. Is all over targetting the obese consumer.

When smokers are no longer a sustaining source for taxes, who do you think will be next?

30 plus % of US population is obesw.

30 plus % is severely obese.

Add in the morbidly obese and you come to a population of 70% that is prime target for the next in line for a government shake down via taxes.

Anyone care to remind me about why folks in Boston had a "tea party"?

This will fall on deaf ears, and I am convinced that it will take the pain of reality before some come to their senses.

I smoke. I am healthier than 70% of US population that gets sick (I don't) miss work(I don't) pound their joints, abuse more organs than a smoker, and the people that have to take care of them when they are in a hospital, need an ambulance, etc. Back injuries in the medical field have sky rocketed along with the rate of obesity in this country.

Children don't start smoking as they once did, but look at their rates of disease and injury!

Oh, and if smoking was as deadly as you have been led to believe, why are there so many baby boomers living so long and collecting social security and retirement? THEY were the largest and longest group of smokers!

The propaganda doesn't wash.

That's okay,the obese adults and children can't run, they can't hide, the tax man cometh and smokers have no pity for them.

Reap and Sow!

Old 01-14-2009, 11:07 PM

Are the anti smokers here smarter than a yankee?

Taxing tobacco paves the way for a fat tax for ya'll too.

They laughed a few years ago, not so much anymore. NY's gov Patterson. Is all over targetting the obese consumer.

When smokers are no longer a sustaining source for taxes, who do you think will be next?

30 plus % of US population is obesw.

30 plus % is severely obese.

Add in the morbidly obese and you come to a population of 70% that is prime target for the next in line for a government shake down via taxes.

Anyone care to remind me about why folks in Boston had a "tea party"?

This will fall on deaf ears, and I am convinced that it will take the pain of reality before some come to their senses.

I smoke. I am healthier than 70% of US population that gets sick (I don't) miss work(I don't) pound their joints, abuse more organs than a smoker, and the people that have to take care of them when they are in a hospital, need an ambulance, etc. Back injuries in the medical field have sky rocketed along with the rate of obesity in this country.

Children don't start smoking as they once did, but look at their rates of disease and injury!

Oh, and if smoking was as deadly as you have been led to believe, why are there so many baby boomers living so long and collecting social security and retirement? THEY were the largest and longest group of smokers!

The propaganda doesn't wash.

That's okay,the obese adults and children can't run, they can't hide, the tax man cometh and smokers have no pity for them.

Reap and Sow!

Old 01-14-2009, 11:15 PM

37,195 posts, read 19,225,735 times
Here's a picture of a small neighborhood grocery on the edge of Chinatown in NYC that was running a special on cigarettes last June. New York had just added $1.50 per pack tax the week before.

On the NJ Turnpike at the convenience stores they were $12.00 a pack.

I think somewhere between $5.00-10.00 per pack increase would work for South Carolina. Either people would figure out how to break their addictions and get healthy, or the deficit would drop like a rock. Either way it would be beneficial to the state.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o34/femichel/NYday3121.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-15-2009, 03:26 AM

745 posts, read 2,233,994 times
Smoking, alcohol, and obesity all cost the taxpayers in some way. They certainly push up health and insurance costs. The only one who has asked if I smoke is my life insurance. They haven't asked if I drink, or how much I weigh. My health insurance knows nothing of my health and habits, so how can it be fair?

Old 01-15-2009, 08:01 AM

NY started out with the small tax hike, that paved the way to where they are now.

The cost to health insurance is a myth, because their rates are higher than non-smokers, and 40 + Americans don't have insurance, don't have living wage jobs to afford insurance if they have jobs that remain in the US, and don't qualify for medicaid. It's easier for illegals to get health care in NY, because you can't trace them as easily as a citizen with a legit SS number.

As for the smoke smell... Business establishment tried to seperate themselves and market to those that smoke and don't care. That was removed, driving down tax and business revenue.

When tax dollar revenue from smokers taps out, the fat tax population will replace it.

But ya'll will worry about that when it happens right?

The wizard of Oz prefers you believe that chemicals in tobacco are more serious than those in your food, building materials etc, and China blatently poisons you, your children (born &unborn)and pets EVERYDAY!!!!!!!!!

And smokers are the stupid people?

The ways and means will be copied from other states, so the fat tax is on the fast track.

I am a minority. I smoke, have no health issues, don't catch colds that linger for weeks like my co workers do, have not been sick w/ anything in years, have body fat of Jillian Micheals, have her energy and drive too.

Which will kill or rob your child of health quicker?

Diabetis or smoking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area