Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 04:27 PM

5,490 posts, read 8,320,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Cut wasteful spending. Stop giving your money to autoworkers in Detroit that don't know how to run a business efficiently and put it towards infrastructure repair. That's what I suggest.
They are working on that, but it is way too slow. Thats one reason Sanford is finally getting after esc. We are in bad shape here. Something big has to happen. I travel this freeway everyday and I tell you it is bad. Almost jars you off of the freeway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 08:44 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,710,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
If that's true regarding your first paragraph then why are retailers and restaurants closing down? Why is the unemployment rate going up? Why are foreclosures so high? Why are projects not getting built? Why are car sales down over 30%? Coincidence? I think not. Yes I know about California, but why do you keep blaming this on the democrats? Both parties are at fault. The republicans and democrats could have helped prevent this but they didn't.
To answer your questions in order: 1. Over saturation; there's no need for an office depot, office max and staples all across from one another. A Starbucks on every corner? Pretty dumb when you're your own competition. 2. Because businesses that had no business being in business are now out of business. No biggie. 3. Because people who had no business buying homes, did so anyway. And lenders who had no business lending to people who couldn't pay back their loans, did so any way. Greed is not good. 4. Projects are getting built. Aren't you the one always updating us on MPTC? (thanks, by the way). Project have always fallen through, regardless of the economy.5. Greedy autoworkers union. Do you know that we, the taxpayers of SC are now paying for UAW retirement benefits? My health insurance has lapsed, but I'm paying for a UAW guy to have his. And this is okay with you? 6. California is disparagingly known as TPOC (The People's Republic of California) because it's run by far left politicians. If Arnie was governator of any other state he would be a dem. I didn't vote for him. But yes, Republicans are to blame as well. I voted for Bush twice, but am very angry and disappointed with his spending policies. Boo! Hope that helps. Please at least glance at some of Walter Williams writings, it'll be a lot different from the indoctrination that you're getting at Clemson. Study him and ask your econ profs about him. Question authority; liberal authority. Peace.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:54 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,785,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
To answer your questions in order: 1. Over saturation; there's no need for an office depot, office max and staples all across from one another. A Starbucks on every corner? Pretty dumb when you're your own competition. 2. Because businesses that had no business being in business are now out of business. No biggie. 3. Because people who had no business buying homes, did so anyway. And lenders who had no business lending to people who couldn't pay back their loans, did so any way. Greed is not good. 4. Projects are getting built. Aren't you the one always updating us on MPTC? (thanks, by the way). Project have always fallen through, regardless of the economy.5. Greedy autoworkers union. Do you know that we, the taxpayers of SC are now paying for UAW retirement benefits? My health insurance has lapsed, but I'm paying for a UAW guy to have his. And this is okay with you? 6. California is disparagingly known as TPOC (The People's Republic of California) because it's run by far left politicians. If Arnie was governator of any other state he would be a dem. I didn't vote for him. But yes, Republicans are to blame as well. I voted for Bush twice, but am very angry and disappointed with his spending policies. Boo! Hope that helps. Please at least glance at some of Walter Williams writings, it'll be a lot different from the indoctrination that you're getting at Clemson. Study him and ask your econ profs about him. Question authority; liberal authority. Peace.
1. Circuit City was in business for over 60 years before going under. Over-saturation there? I doubt it. I could see the argument with Starbuck's though. They expanded way too fast. How fast? There's one in Haywood Mall, one in Barnes and Noble right across the street, and one next to Kirkland's right across the street from that. That's three within a quarter of a mile from one another.
2. No biggie? You mean losing your job is no biggie?
3. I can agree with that.
4. Projects have fallen through but not as many as in today's world. Tons of developments are on hold right now from retail complexes to highrises. Oh and speaking of MPTC, all of that project is on hold until further notice due to the economy except for Rooms To Go and retail next to Woodruff Road.
5. BMW's sales are down around 30% and their workers aren't in the UAW. Same goes with Toyota. I was against the auto bailout from the beginning and still am.
6. I'll read up on Walter E. Williams and see what he has to say.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:23 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
Whether we have the money or not doesn't change the fact that this section of I-385 is rough and it is going to have to be fixed.

back to topic if it's not already too late?

Old 01-26-2009, 05:59 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,775,681 times
Most of this thread has been deleted due to off toic conversation. If I delete anymore, I might as well close it. Maybe we can get back on topic?

Old 02-12-2009, 07:42 AM

9 posts, read 21,550 times
Default People need to understand how things work in SC

with SCDOT....we only choose resurfacing or safety projects. All projects considered "development" like supposedly the Southern Connector was initiated by the Metropolitan Planning Organizations (MPO's) By law we just administer the projects THEY choose. We have input but if they choose not to listen. Then no choice. I talked to several who thought the southern connector was a royal waste of money...but what can you do? Also, as far as maintenance of roads South Carolina is suffering from its previous history. The state legislators had the STATE build most of the roads and we still maintain them to this day. When you look at the numbers little old South Carolina maintain's the 4th largest State System of Roads in the US. You look at Georgia and North Carolina...the money they get is used to maintain all the Interstates, US routes and State Routes. Here in South Carolina SCDOT handles that plus almost every other road in the state. Most places have the counties handle that. But whenever we try to get a municipality to consider taking over their roads within their boundaries they just run and hide.

BUT....

The interstates are in bad shape...we are trying to do what we can and I can tell you that a good portion of stimulus money will be spent on interstate resurfacing.....but probably not in that area, because there are actually areas in worse need of it than that.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:04 PM

31 posts, read 32,158 times
For starters, how about we stop providing social services, education and health care for illegal aliens so they will stop coming here. That would eliminate the need for a fence along the US Mexican border. Why do you think this country is broke? We cannot provide health care, education and feed every ilegal alien that comes across our borders and and allow the politicians to steal millions from the tax payers to line their own pockets at the same time! We can only afford one or the other!

Old 02-13-2009, 12:30 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,376,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatscott View Post
For starters, how about we stop providing social services, education and health care for illegal aliens so they will stop coming here. That would eliminate the need for a fence along the US Mexican border. Why do you think this country is broke? We cannot provide health care, education and feed every ilegal alien that comes across our borders and and allow the politicians to steal millions from the tax payers to line their own pockets at the same time! We can only afford one or the other!
Actually, I would say there are problems in the U.S far worse than illegal immigration. Most of the blame for this nation's debt falls directly on U.S. citizens, who have been selfishly borrowing and spending more than we earn and are able (or willing) to pay back, attempting to maintain lifestyles very few could actually afford. Instead of complaining about people who work hard for very little pay in return, we should consider the large and growing number of lazy citizens who suck the life out of tax-paying citizens and demand even more government handouts when that isn't satisfactory.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:21 AM

503 posts, read 937,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Actually, I would say there are problems in the U.S far worse than illegal immigration. Most of the blame for this nation's debt falls directly on U.S. citizens, who have been selfishly borrowing and spending more than we earn and are able (or willing) to pay back, attempting to maintain lifestyles very few could actually afford. Instead of complaining about people who work hard for very little pay in return, we should consider the large and growing number of lazy citizens who suck the life out of tax-paying citizens and demand even more government handouts when that isn't satisfactory.

I dissagree. If you think how many illegals foreclosed on their houses in california, use welfare, free hospital, use interstates without paying the taxes; trust me, use Bank of America credit cards; it is a very big problem. Not to mention Americans loing their jobs to them (I am one of them). Until we deal with all 12,000,000 of them we will always be in financial trouble.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:21 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,376,936 times
How many U.S. citizens abuse welfare, medicare, medicaid, and mass transit while not being productive or paying taxes? I'll wager that if it were possible to remove every illegal immigrant from the country, our economy would still be in terrible shape. Until we ALL decide to work hard and eliminate or own debt by living well within our income levels, we have absolutely no excuse for blaming hard-working immigrants who demand very little in return. How many lazy U.S. citizens are willing to sacrifice the unnecessary comforts of our inflated lifestyles and instead determine to live a simple but satisfying life without debt? I am not claiming to support amnesty for illegal immigrants, but I hate the fact that countless U.S. citizens are abusing my tax dollars even more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area