Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 11:42 AM

67 posts, read 454,850 times

Advertisements

I was stationed in Greenville backin 1952, and lived in "Evergreen Trailer Park" just down from the main gate. I attended the Park Place Church of God, and would love to hear how the area has changed. I haven't been back there since 1955. I loved it then, and have a lot of fond memories of that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2007, 04:14 PM

83 posts, read 395,227 times
I know others will have more to say, but I'm comfortable saying that its changed a lot. http://www.donaldsoncenter.com/dc_history.html

Old 07-16-2009, 03:22 PM

1 posts, read 9,579 times
I was there 62/63 and returned to the base in 1997,some one said the trailer park left of the gate was the main gate Park?

Old 07-16-2009, 03:57 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,472,023 times
It was renamed Donaldson Center in the early 1960s, and was recently renamed the South Carolina Technology & Aviation Center. Here is the link to the newly redesigned web site:

Welcome to SC Technology and Aviation Center

Old 10-08-2010, 08:52 AM

1 posts, read 8,428 times
Default 1953 c47 crash

I just recently got this web site. My uncle was a pilot from Donaldson airforce base. He piloted a plane that crashed in NC in 1953 during ice and fog. I am looking for the sole survivor or relatives of the survivor from that era. His name was T-Sgt. Edward Matus. Any suggestions on where to look? I have a firefighters newspaper clipping of that crash and I have located the site of the crash, but would like more information on the other members of the flight. The others killed in that crash were my uncle: Captain Louis R Gossman, First Lt. Robert W Shaw of Pope Airforce Baces First Lt. Norman W Joyce, co-pilot of Donaldson Airforce Base. I only have names, but no birthdates or information that assists me in searching for them. Thanks

Old 01-27-2011, 09:00 PM

11 posts, read 22,386 times
Default Donaldson AFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by guvjim View Post
I was stationed in Greenville backin 1952, and lived in "Evergreen Trailer Park" just down from the main gate. I attended the Park Place Church of God, and would love to hear how the area has changed. I haven't been back there since 1955. I loved it then, and have a lot of fond memories of that time.

Hello! My brother-in-law sent me your question. I have lived near the Air Base since my dad was transferred to Donaldson in 1960. Donaldson closed in the first quarter of 1963. After moving around the country for 20 years my mom decided Greenville was home after my dad was transferred to Orlando AFB.
For the past 25 years one of my main hobbies and interests has been studying the 20 year history of the base and collecting all forms of base memorabilia. Spent many, many hours metal detecting around the rapidly dwindling structures and buildings. Found some pretty neat things and also have become pretty well versed in the base history.
The trailer park you mentioned I am assuming was the one located outside the main gate and down the street a bit in the direction of Greenville. It survived through the years in one way or another, but I don't believe it exists as such now. Could be wrong though, not 100% sure. That area built up over the years with some businesses and nearby housing developments, some of which may have been there when you were. Another brother-in-law attended Bethuel Church which is a block or two behind that area. I am familiar with that area and it has changed quite a bit, not always for the better. Haven't really paid much attention to that side of the road since as I'm driving towards the main gate, I'm always looking to the left at the base. If you would like, next time I'm out that way I could take a picture and email it to you and any others you might want.
I am not familiar with Park Place Church, but I'm pretty sure it still exists. The Greenville area has grown up and changed considerably from the sleepy little southern mill town it was and is now a much larger city with diverse industries of all kinds. Textiles, like the Air Base are a thing of the past.
I always enjoy meeting former DAFB servicemen. Take care,
parafrag

Old 01-27-2011, 09:28 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,386,943 times
Here is the January 2011 e-zine from SCTAC:

SCTAC January 2011 Ezine

Old 01-27-2011, 09:39 PM

11 posts, read 22,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carole collett View Post
I just recently got this web site. My uncle was a pilot from Donaldson airforce base. He piloted a plane that crashed in NC in 1953 during ice and fog. I am looking for the sole survivor or relatives of the survivor from that era. His name was T-Sgt. Edward Matus. Any suggestions on where to look? I have a firefighters newspaper clipping of that crash and I have located the site of the crash, but would like more information on the other members of the flight. The others killed in that crash were my uncle: Captain Louis R Gossman, First Lt. Robert W Shaw of Pope Airforce Baces First Lt. Norman W Joyce, co-pilot of Donaldson Airforce Base. I only have names, but no birthdates or information that assists me in searching for them. Thanks
Hello Carole,
I'm brand new to this site and noticed your post. I have been putting together a list of aircraft accidents from Donaldson for several years now but admittedly, the first few years of the 1950's I have very little on. I knew nothing of this one. Do you have the exact date and location? I spend a lot of time at the Greenville Public Library researching newspaper archives, and I'malmost certain there would have been more than one article about the crash. Greenville had a morning and afternoon paper then so a fatal accident would have made them both. After the next of kin had been properly notified, the paper always carried the names and usually the hometowns of the victims.
There is a very good website of former Donaldson members which could be a great source of information and you may even find guys who knew your uncle. Worth a try. If you will send me an email I would be glad to put you in touch with the website administrator. I am a volunteer at the American Legion Post 3 Museum in Greenville and we have memorabilia from Donaldson on display there.
I find it interesting that you visited the site of the crash. I have located quite a few other crash sites in the S.C. upstate myself.
Feel free to contact me at bobdicey@charter.net
Take care and look forward to hearing from you.
Bob

Old 10-02-2012, 03:40 PM

1 posts, read 6,179 times
My father and his co-pilot delivered a 16 yr. old girl to a hospital in SOUTh Carolina and crashed in Spartansburg SC Feb. 20, 1953 after their ANGEL FLIGHT that saved the girl. Both were killed but there is nothing anywhere I can find about that crash?? Charles Elliott Needham and his co-pilot Hughes both died. I was almost 10 when I lost my dad.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:40 PM

1 posts, read 5,161 times
Good Evening. I just happen on to this site and hope someone may be able to help me out. I am trying to find a list of people that may have been stationed Greenville Army Air Base/Donaldson Air Force Base roughly 1940's to early 1950's. His name would have been Paul Gregory.

Thanks, Mary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area