Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 03:19 PM

365 posts, read 1,010,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
I wish we could convince them not to have kids at all, I guess its too late for that.
I second that idea

Old 09-01-2009, 07:06 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,377,957 times
Default Race of Teens

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
LOL...ThatGuy-901, I tried to bring your post in as a quote, but I guess technology conspired not to make that happen...but I digress

As a black man, I read your post with great interest, and made sure to read it thoroughly before I replied...

First thing, I won't stoop to calling you a 'racist', because I can't judge you or your character based on a single post in a chat forum...secondly, I'm not a resident of Greenville, hence my statement about having a 'dog' in this fight

As you can see, my post count isn't very high...I enjoy reading the posts on City Data and being a member of this forum, but I post when I find a thread or idea that intrigues me, and your post did that...

I am in agreement with you, that race still is a VERY hot button nowadays, and there seems to be a great concerted effort to be politically correct---and I also wasn't present when the incident happened...

BUT, I guess I take issue with the fact that, of all the posts I read in this thread, up til now, you and I are the only ones discussing the race of the teens involved...doesn't that strike you as somewhat ironic? I think that, as a concerned citizen/resident of Greenville, you would be aligned with those who are seeking a solution to the problem, rather than expending energy to point out the teens were 'ALL African-American'...if they are TRULY becoming a nuisance, then something should be done, their ethnicity notwithstanding
I read the Greenville On-line article looking to see if it mentioned the race of the teens involved in the Main Street brouhaha. There was no race mentioned. Even the newspaper is PC.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:36 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,036,188 times
I personally do not feel that a curfew will change much, as the issue at hand is large groups of teen congregating in downtown. Without enough supervision or authority, anything can happen. No amount of police officers is going to prevent potential outbreaks such as fights, or worst case scenario, a riot. Instead of a curfew, there should be an ordinance preventing large groups of people from loitering around after dark (just to be clear, loitering does not include gathering at a public event..)

In any case I hope something is done, even if a curfew reform is all that comes out of this..

Old 09-02-2009, 05:37 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,846,757 times
Quote:
Where exactly will they relocate to if they can't congregate within the city limits of greenville?
At first I read somewhere that it was just a curfew for Main Street, but the GN article says the curfew covers "the entire central business district — a 12-block economic engine filled with shops, restaurants and bars."

But in any case I don't think there's a shortage of places where kids could potentially go to hang out and start fights.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:01 AM

134 posts, read 262,507 times
omg, I saw the video talk about blown out of proportion. It's a bunch of kids. Big deal. Personally, I'm not scared of 11 year olds.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:16 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,844,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
At first I read somewhere that it was just a curfew for Main Street, but the GN article says the curfew covers "the entire central business district — a 12-block economic engine filled with shops, restaurants and bars."

But in any case I don't think there's a shortage of places where kids could potentially go to hang out and start fights.
I don't think there is anywhere that a group of children that large would be able to congregate without causing alarm other than downtown. Where would they go if they couldn't be in the downtown area? I'm thinking home, or at least to their own neighborhoods, where they belong. Its the group mentality that is causing the fights, get that big of a group together and you're almost certainly going to have problems, split that up, it'll fix the problem.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga2email View Post
omg, I saw the video talk about blown out of proportion. It's a bunch of kids. Big deal. Personally, I'm not scared of 11 year olds.
I don't really think the video is very good, other than to show the mass of kids that were in the area, I read some comments on GreenvilleOnline that described it as a "mob", and apparently businesses had to close their doors, i'm not scared of an 11 year old, but I might be scared if 50 of them were pounding on my car.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:28 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,377,957 times
Default Fun Places for Teens in Greenville

Quote:
I don't think there is anywhere that a group of children that large would be able to congregate without causing alarm other than downtown. Where would they go if they couldn't be in the downtown area? I'm thinking home, or at least to their own neighborhoods, where they belong. Its the group mentality that is causing the fights, get that big of a group together and you're almost certainly going to have problems, split that up, it'll fix the problem.
Repeat, Greenville needs safe, fun, supervised places in which these kids can hang out, one or more in each area of town. Surely a city as progressive as Greenville can come up with 3-4 of those!

Old 09-02-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Repeat, Greenville needs safe, fun, supervised places in which these kids can hang out, one or more in each area of town. Surely a city as progressive as Greenville can come up with 3-4 of those!
repeat, the crime would just be driven there, these kids need to be at home at 10pm at night, I was when I was 16

Old 09-02-2009, 08:49 AM

49 posts, read 190,685 times
How many of you have actually seen this fiasco first hand? The times that I have been down there when this is going on, it didn't seem like teenagers to me. There were lots of people hangin in and around cars parked up and down the street, blaring music, reving engines, etc, and last time I checked you had to be 16 to have a license. And most of these cars have nice paint jobs with several thousand dollar rims, I don't know about you but I couldnt afford that for my first car......

There may be some teenagers (12-13), but there is definitely a young adult crowd (18-22) that is taking part in this....which as i've said before the curfew won't affect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area