Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2009, 04:30 PM

40 posts, read 164,269 times

Advertisements

I just bought a car in Gainesville GA that I'm picking up tomorrow to drive back to Michigan. Since Greenville is tops on our potential relocation list, I thought I'd take a quick swing through on the way home. I've never been there so I just want to get a feel for the area. I will probably spend tomorrow night in Greenville before heading home early Saturday. I've been following this forum for about a year now so I've seen lots of pictures, but they're never as good as the real thing. I will probably get into town around dinner time, where should I eat? I'm pretty casual and will be by myself, preferably something downtown.

What else should I see in limited time tomorrow later in the day? Will walking downtown tomorrow night give me a good feel for the area, or am I better off doing more driving to check out the whole area?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Last edited by tedweiser; 11-19-2009 at 05:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 05:30 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,451,751 times
Oh, definitely stay in the downtown -- The Westin Poinsett is absolutely beautiful and will make you want to stay there forever. There's also a Hyatt. If you go to Greenvilleonline.com you can find all kinds of information about restaurants and events. Personally, I like High Cotton (fairly expensive) and Smoke on the Water. The Lazy Goat was also wonderful. We get to visit our married son about twice a year and there is always so much going on! Good luck

Old 11-19-2009, 07:09 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,551,112 times
Based on your self-description, I'd say Oysters on the West End in the West End, or Trio on Main St Downtown. Trio is a wood-fired pizza place with TONS of atmosphere.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:27 AM

41 posts, read 144,807 times
If you want to pamper yourself, stay at The Pettigru Place, which is a few blocks off Main. It's a lovely B&B. If you get the chance, drive some of Hwy 11 on your way to see what the area offers as far as outdoor activities.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:14 AM

I do like to pamper myself, and had looked at Pettrigu Place, but they are full tonight, so maybe I'll try that when I bring the family down - it looks very nice.

I pricelined a room at the Hyatt (tried the Westin but struck out) and I think that Trio sounds perfect. See you on Main St tonight!

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm off to the airport shortly.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:47 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,866,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedweiser View Post
I do like to pamper myself, and had looked at Pettrigu Place, but they are full tonight, so maybe I'll try that when I bring the family down - it looks very nice.

I pricelined a room at the Hyatt (tried the Westin but struck out) and I think that Trio sounds perfect. See you on Main St tonight!

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm off to the airport shortly.
Also try Stellar Wine Bar. Great spot on the second floor of a building overlooking Main. Excellent desserts.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:37 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,386,943 times
Smoke on the Water is a good restaurant with a casual atmosphere. Another recommendation is Blue Ridge Brewing Company. Overlook Grill has the best location, literally overlooking the waterfall in Falls Park on the Reedy. You probably wouldn't go wrong with any of the suggestions posted yet.

You could attend a show at the Peace Center, The Warehouse Theatre, or Centre Stage (http://www.centrestage.org/shows/2009_darrow/091030_darrow.html - broken link).

Old 11-20-2009, 06:46 PM

I am sitting in the hyatt stuffed after a great meal at Trio (southwest ravioli and wild wing pie pizza). I loved it! I also spent some time walking main st and riverplace. There are a lot of people out and doing things downtown tonight, which is good to see. I really like the feel and vibe of downtown Greenville, at least from my few hours here today. Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, I can't wait to come back for a longer stay.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:31 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,866,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedweiser View Post
I am sitting in the hyatt stuffed after a great meal at Trio (southwest ravioli and wild wing pie pizza). I loved it! I also spent some time walking main st and riverplace. There are a lot of people out and doing things downtown tonight, which is good to see. I really like the feel and vibe of downtown Greenville, at least from my few hours here today. Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, I can't wait to come back for a longer stay.
Great to hear you enjoyed your visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area