Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2007, 04:09 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,404,585 times

Advertisements

I am considering a job in the Greenville - Spartanburg area, but am deeply concerned. As a liberal agnostic, I wonder just how much of an outcast I might find myself. With Bob Jones University nearby, I am wondering if the entire community is of such a mindset, or whether there are [at least] pockets of progressive thinking.

Is there a healthy interest in the arts, etc.? Are there eclectic neighborhoods? Is there a variety when it comes to restaurants and cuisine?

Any input into the social climate of this area would be greatly appreciated. I hope that I am merely extrapolating from the existence of Bob Jones, and am wrong in my assumption. But having lived in one backward community (Evansville, Indiana) in my life is enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 05:54 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,899,333 times
I will say that people give BJU entirely too much credit as far as its influence on the actual city of Greenville is concerned.

And yes, there is definitely a healthy interest in the arts in both Greenville and Spartanburg.

You will only find yourself an outcast if you consciously try to do so, knowing that you are in the Bible Belt. Just be respectful of other people's beliefs, and while they may disagree with you, they will generally be respectful, although possibly not understanding, of yours.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:16 PM

250 posts, read 1,213,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
I am considering a job in the Greenville - Spartanburg area, but am deeply concerned. As a liberal agnostic, I wonder just how much of an outcast I might find myself. With Bob Jones University nearby, I am wondering if the entire community is of such a mindset, or whether there are [at least] pockets of progressive thinking.
You've obviously never spent any time in Greenville, have you? There are most definitely pockets of progressive thinking here, believe me. There are also pockets of very conservative thinking. And there's a whole lot of tweener/moderate thinking, too. And Greenville most definitely supports the arts and cultural diversity. You've just gotta come here and see it for yourself. Don't just take my word for it.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:34 PM

153 posts, read 716,484 times
There are pockets of liberals in both Greenville and Spartanburg. BJU doesn't represent the Upstate as a whole... Akhenaton06 has the right idea about BJU.

I think you will find what you want in either place. There aren't the "eclectic" neighborhoods like you might find in larger cities, but you will find strong support for the arts in both Greenville and Spartanburg.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:35 PM

5,597 posts, read 15,413,103 times
I believe you will discover that Greenville is quite progressive overall, and even moreso in the city itself. Any kind of cultural, social, religious, or political viewpoint can be found here and is welcome. As others have said, people may disagree with a person's beliefs, but the freedom to believe and practice what you wish is well respected and defended by the vast majority in the community. As for social diversity, Greenville is a great place to enjoy the diversity of multinational traditions and cultures, since it is home to more international investment per capita than any city in the nation. You will soon discover that the European, Asian, and South American influences (among many others) reach beyond merely hearing each individual dialect around town.

International cuisine is abundant in Greenville, and has been noted by many visitors from other cities.

Check into groups such as PULSE (Professionals United for Leadership and Social Enrichment) if you would like to get a social jumpstart in the community.

Old 05-17-2007, 04:06 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,404,585 times
Thanks to all for their input. Obviously, it is hard to evaluate any locale without visiting it. But I wanted to find out if I was walking into a minefield. It sounds as if Bob Jones is NOT representative of the area, and that is a relief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area