Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 05:23 AM

286 posts, read 1,477,951 times

Advertisements

Valove, we all meant it in good humor. You will find valuable input to come, but give us a chance to laugh a bit.

Sounds like you've spent some time reading previous posts, so I'm sure you've seen all the posts that bring up the negative issues that I mentioned previously time and time again. I was taking a poke at all those posts.

Greenville does come off as a diamond in the ruff when reading these forums. It is justified. It comes out shining like a diamond after living here for 8 years too. Is it the perfect place? probably not, but for me it is close.

How many negative posts do you see from people that live here? I can't think of any.

Good luck in your search for eutopia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 06:55 AM

43 posts, read 187,304 times
Absolutely no regrets here!

I moved from MA and I can honestly say we will never leave here.

Old 06-05-2007, 03:25 PM

745 posts, read 2,233,177 times
One problem for the OP's question is that this forum seems to made of two groups- people looking for info on G'ville, and people who love living in G'ville. So, from that demographic, it's gonna be tough to find someone who's not happy there. As an example, I'm leaving FL because I don't like it anymore; I never go on the FL forum and slam it (partly because I'm going to have a house to sell here!), and because FL just doesn't interest me anymore. So I hang out here to keep my motivation to move active.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:45 PM

286 posts, read 1,477,951 times
Good point, flagargoyle

Old 06-06-2007, 12:08 AM

250 posts, read 1,212,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VALOVE View Post
I'm trying to figure out how my question prompted so much sarcasm, or maybe that's your attempt at humor, Tony 123 and RestedTraveler.
My apologies to you; however, I do not believe you're going to see much negative feedback from anyone here. You'll either see feedback from those who love the place (such as myself) or you'll see people asking questions about the place. You'll not find many (if any) bashing it. That's just the nature of this forum (and others). I fled Florida. I don't go the Florida forums and tell everyone there how horrible it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALOVE View Post
The city has done a fantastic job with the downtown area...talk about charming! I love the look, but more than that I like how much there is to do. Between the shopping, restaurants, cultural events, annual festivals and entertainment, there really seems to be something for everyone. I love the fact that you are surrounded by beautiful mountains, rivers and lakes. You have access to almost any outdoor activity imaginable within minutes of the city. It's the best of both worlds. You can experience four seasons, without the misery of long harsh winters. And it's affordable! The cost of housing, in particular, is incredible when you compare it to the rest of the country.
I love living here for absolutely all of the things you've listed here. If there is any one drawback, it's that things tend to move pretty slowly around here at times (as compared to Orlando). By "things," I'm referring to road projects, construction, and just life in general. Perhaps that's just my perception and perhaps it's an incorrect one, but I don't believe this to be the case.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:55 PM

83 posts, read 734,002 times
I do see your point. If you hate a place, there's really no sense in spending time on that forum. You'd be busy searching the forums of places you want to learn about - just as I am doing. Thank you for the additional replies. I do appreciate it.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:20 AM

698 posts, read 2,841,816 times
I can see why there may be some sarcasm that's given out of good-natured humor but I'm also sure there are people who genuinely would steer newcomers away with all kinds of b.s. to avoid becoming overpopulated, changing the area into something they don't like, etc.

This is said with a bit of tongue in cheek because change (and sometimes drastic change) is inevitable but if we in SoFL had any sense, we would have done that same thing 15 years ago before our pop. exploded. But the publicity machine cranked it into overdrive and drew the mass of humanity we now have to our sparkling beaches and literally blotted out the sun with high rises. It's one of the main reasons we now want to leave. Being a native Floridian, it's a sad story when the place you grew up in changes so drastically in a short time.

So although the sarcasm given here is all in jest there's probably a hidden fear in some minds that too much good publicity will spoil G'ville.

There's reason for concern in terms of quality of life but not panic. SoFL and other so-called hot markets have vastly different amenities and lifestyles to offer that it can't compare to a place like the Upstate.

Still, it's obvious that some posters can do without the humor.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:27 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,842,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestedTraveler View Post
I love living here for absolutely all of the things you've listed here. If there is any one drawback, it's that things tend to move pretty slowly around here at times (as compared to Orlando). By "things," I'm referring to road projects, construction, and just life in general. Perhaps that's just my perception and perhaps it's an incorrect one, but I don't believe this to be the case.
actually, and maybe I was just lucky, or maybe NY is slow too? I found most people to be just as fast as anywhere else I go, and I was pleasantly surprised because thats all I heard from people around my town here in NY "get ready to talk slower" "people drive slower down there" "everything is slower" which was a funny one because the speed limits on highways down there is usually 70mph(its 65 in NY) and most people were going over 80 . anyway maybe as I get acclimated(I move in a week and a half! yay!) I will see things differently?? anyway I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in, thanks!

Old 06-15-2007, 03:22 AM

745 posts, read 2,233,177 times
I haven't noticed people moving any slower than normal on my trips to Greenville, but I live in West Central FL, where the median age is 103 years old!

Old 06-17-2007, 06:15 AM

63 posts, read 262,007 times
Ha! Nice try RestedTraveler, We're coming anyway!!!
By the way...great pictures on your website.

Last edited by gatorz; 06-17-2007 at 06:21 AM.. Reason: wrong post name
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area