Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2016, 09:28 PM

10 posts, read 14,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadreamin View Post
This is said with a bit of tongue in cheek because change (and sometimes drastic change) is inevitable but if we in SoFL had any sense, we would have done that same thing 15 years ago before our pop. exploded. But the publicity machine cranked it into overdrive and drew the mass of humanity we now have to our sparkling beaches and literally blotted out the sun with high rises. It's one of the main reasons we now want to leave. Being a native Floridian, it's a sad story when the place you grew up in changes so drastically in a short time.

So although the sarcasm given here is all in jest there's probably a hidden fear in some minds that too much good publicity will spoil G'ville.
Good point carolinadreamin.
Too much positive hype can spoil a great place. This reminds me of what happened to Ashville, NC, after a series of articles hyped Ashville as the best place to live in the country. Then masses of people moved into town chasing fewer and fewer jobs. AV was rated the best Beer city and best Biking city in the country. Once the word gets out, everyone moves in. Expensive place now. So if anyone wants to move to AV, bring lots of cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 04:43 AM

292 posts, read 344,802 times
I will never understand people who think we should raise gasoline taxes just because we have TEMPORARY decrease in the price at the pumps. If you live long enough, you'll come to understand that gas prices go up and gas prices go down, but taxes are pretty much always permanent.

Besides, why are we talking about tax increases when the state of SC had a budget surplus of $400M last year? And instead of using those extra funds to fix our roads, I hear our state law makers talk about using it to give raises to state employees. Its that kind of crap that tells me that our state gov. is not serious about fixing roads, they just want to have more money to pay for their own pet projects.

Last edited by Dan In SC; 01-19-2016 at 05:05 AM..

Old 01-19-2016, 07:11 AM

5,675 posts, read 5,887,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan In SC View Post
I will never understand people who think we should raise gasoline taxes just because we have TEMPORARY decrease in the price at the pumps. If you live long enough, you'll come to understand that gas prices go up and gas prices go down, but taxes are pretty much always permanent.

Besides, why are we talking about tax increases when the state of SC had a budget surplus of $400M last year? And instead of using those extra funds to fix our roads, I hear our state law makers talk about using it to give raises to state employees. Its that kind of crap that tells me that our state gov. is not serious about fixing roads, they just want to have more money to pay for their own pet projects.

IDK, maybe because its an old thread??

Old 01-19-2016, 01:45 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,947,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan In SC View Post

What we really need to do is re- prioritize what projects will be funded and have more transparency going into those decisions and where the money is being spent before we get a gas tax on the table.

Road funding in SC is so incredibly screwed up and needs a complete overhaul. I would be willing to bet that taking politicians who have vested interests in their particular counties they represent (Hugh Leatherman), then maybe we can re-appropriate the funding we have to better suit the needs of our state. THEN if that doesn't work and we're still in a deficit, talk about raising a gas tax, but without re-structuring the DOT, and Infrastructure Bank, a gas tax will only serve to give more money to places that dont need it...like Florence.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:05 AM

158 posts, read 180,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorz View Post
Ha! Nice try RestedTraveler, We're coming anyway!!!
By the way...great pictures on your website.
What website?

Old 01-27-2016, 03:43 PM

10 posts, read 8,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto7SC View Post
In general or in regards to these "free" services?
What always makes me wonder why people in SC don't want (at least a little) higher taxes is when I cross the border between SC and NC and the road changes from pot hole crap road to smooth highway.

I understand that people don't want to work to give away a lot of their hard earned money just for taxes but then you'll also have to live with some disadvantages compared to other states.
Haha. Have you been to NJ!? They have some of the highest tax rates in the nation, and some of the worst roads. SC roads aren't the best, but they're better than in Jersey.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:45 AM

506 posts, read 1,222,938 times
I moved to Greenville back in 2007. I work in IT. I've lived in many places, Anchorage, Seattle, Orlando, Kansas City, Boston, and Greenville is by far the best of all of them. Since moving here I've had job offers to work for both Google and Facebook, but my wife and I were unwilling to move to CA to take the job (I get contacted by them both at least once every year now and always my first question is "do you allow telecommuting yet?"). We love Greenville so much, we can't see ever moving anywhere else.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:49 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,871,773 times
We moved from Raleigh; at first, when I would go back and visit I would miss it very much- there are a lot more trees, and a better selection of places to walk/hike without having to drive an hour. Of course I missed (and still miss!) my friends. However, I have absolutely fallen in love with Greenville- love the people, and the opportunity to get involved in so many different things- I know a lot more people here than I did after living in Raleigh for 16 years. Just have to accept the fact that I have to drive a bit to hike- but what hiking!

Old 01-28-2016, 06:57 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,768,812 times
I just want to say that I am impressed as how clean the downtown Greenville is.
I was there during the holiday, and I kept telling my family how I would literally lick the ground. It was so damn clean!

People are so very friendly and nice in general.
And everything is so cheap!
The only thing is that how there is not enough renowned retailers in the area. (I am a big time shopper).
But all the pros outweighs the cons.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:08 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,871,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
I just want to say that I am impressed as how clean the downtown Greenville is.
I was there during the holiday, and I kept telling my family how I would literally lick the ground. It was so damn clean!

People are so very friendly and nice in general.
And everything is so cheap!
The only thing is that how there is not enough renowned retailers in the area. (I am a big time shopper).
But all the pros outweighs the cons.
Yes; I have heard that about the shopping (I am a committed online shopper so don't care much about the brick and mortar stores). However, my friends who are like you make the short trip to Charlotte to get their fix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area