Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2009, 03:18 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,383,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
100% correct. Good post.
Sincere thanks, Sonrise. I may decide to dislike someone who happens to be from the North, but I can absolutely guarantee that it will have nothing to do with his or her linguistic accent or the location in which he or she was born. It wouldn't even have anything to do with that person's personal background. People should never be prejudged on such bases. We all have an equal right to prove our worth (or lack thereof) to the rest of this community. Fortunately, the vast majority of people living here are generally accepting of other people and show genuine respect (tolerance) for cultural differences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 08:14 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,843,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Sincere thanks, Sonrise. I may decide to dislike someone who happens to be from the North, but I can absolutely guarantee that it will have nothing to do with his or her linguistic accent or the location in which he or she was born. It wouldn't even have anything to do with that person's personal background. People should never be prejudged on such bases. We all have an equal right to prove our worth (or lack thereof) to the rest of this community. Fortunately, the vast majority of people living here are generally accepting of other people and show genuine respect (tolerance) for cultural differences.
great posts skyliner, I would give you rep points, but apparently I have given you too many already because it won't et me unless I "spread some around"

Old 01-02-2009, 02:52 PM

10 posts, read 40,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Guestposter, you mean diluting your "Southernness." I was born in Greenville and have lived here most of my life, but consider this intolerant type of "North vs. South" garbage to be a remnant of the redneck faction, ignorantly wishing the Civil War hadn't ended. In my opinion, the large number of transplants (Northern and otherwise) has helped in making the Upstate a much better place to live. Eastern Tennessee, southwestern Virginia, and eastern portions of Kentucky make up one of the most racially and culturally un-diverse regions in the nation. If you wonder why I say that, just spend any reasonable amount of time there in person.

Mariakay, you would not be in any way unwelcome living here as a transplant. Sure there is a small group of individuals who feel it is their duty to be intolerant of anything related with "the North," but they are living in the past, completely out of touch with the reality that they are actually living in a vibrant, growing, and diverse community of people from all parts of the world.
Thanks so much for the warm welcome.....I truly am looking forward to being a part this beautiful area.
Thanks!

Old 01-05-2009, 11:30 AM

5 posts, read 8,786 times
Smile New to this, but here it goes.....

I moved from Mt. Hope, West Virginia to Fort Walton Beach, Florida over 13 years ago. I truly love this area-the white beaches are beautiful. I met my husband here & we have raised our kids in this area. Coming from WV, this area had soooo much to offer! Although the mountains were beautiful, in WV growing up the economy was bad, with few job opportunities.

We have owned a small business for over 10 years (paintless dent removal, auto detail, privacy fencing) that does well in the Destin area.
However we are wanting benefits / retirement which is hard to find around these parts, except of course if you are military -which there are alot of bases around here. But this area is swarming with small businesses.

We are a conservative family ...christian values....my husband loves bass fishing (which is not good considering we are beside the ocean lol!), we love outdoors-camping & so on. (Minus the gators & sharks)

My family still lives in WV and the 14 hour trip is getting to be a problem. My 2 children (4 & 10) miss having family close by. Everytime we go though Greenville to WV my husband loves the area. We have discussed moving to Greenville through the years. With taxes & insurance here going crazy, hurricane worries, and wanting to be closer to family we are considering this more than ever.

We currently live in a county with the best public schools in the state of Florida. Education is very important to us.

ANY insight anyone can give us on the Greenville area would be a great help. Not sure if anyone out there has made the move from the panhandle to Greenville, but any comparisons would help as well.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,302 times
I have lived in or visited 49 of our States. I am just turning 60 and chose this area after a 2 year search. I think it is fantastic for a thousand reasons and will be a very fine place to live.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:35 PM

7 posts, read 13,456 times
Default What Happened?

I have Lived in Cleveland,Ohio my whole 48 years.My husband had two job offers in Greenville that we turned down at the time due to our kids.I have been to Greenville twice and loved it.After reading these posts,Im scared.What happened to .Greenville in the last 8 YEARS?.Thanks

Old 01-23-2009, 12:48 PM

7 posts, read 13,456 times
Default What Happened?

I have Lived in Cleveland,Ohio my whole 48 years.My husband had two job offers in Greenville that we turned down at the time due to our kids.I have been to Greenville twice and loved it.After reading these posts,Im scared.What happened to .Greenville in the last 8 YEARS?.Thanks

Old 01-23-2009, 01:03 PM

915 posts, read 2,424,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramayj View Post
I'm curious what posts you're referring to. I'm coming up on my 7th year in Greenville, and I still love it just as much as day 1.

Sure it's growing, but anyone who thought it was going to be secret forever was just fooling themselves. Especially once it started hitting "the lists":

- Top 10 places to vacation on a budget
- Top places to find jobs in 2008
- 5th best place to weather the economic downturn
- 4th best place to live (Relocate-America)
- Best walking city in SC

etc...etc...etc...

Old 01-23-2009, 08:10 PM

142 posts, read 279,985 times
When I was growing up 30 years ago, it was open disdain among my family towards colored folk. Thanks to integration in 1971, my first best friends on the playground were black kids. True story, first day of first grade a black girl, Dana, called me a cracker. Thinking I just got called a soda cracker, I eyed her and said, "Well you're a burnt cracker." She looked surprised, laughed, and was my best friend for the next six years. Nothing my family had to say could influence me as much as that friendship. I hear people talking hatred on here towards northerners and I hear the same fear as was in my family's voices. The same hatred my otherwise rational best friend has towards Mexicans. Fear of the unknown, the unfamiliar. Also a laziness in refusing to take people on an individual basis. If you look at someones hate and read it as them being fearful, it may lessen your hostile defense reaction into one of empathy and understanding, and just maybe that freaked out redneck will accept your invitation of having some iced sweet tea on your front porch. To better days ahead.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:35 PM

5 posts, read 10,753 times
My wife and I moved from NJ three years ago. Since there is no Agriculture positions here, Raleigh is next. The food sux here . Closed community of the "church crowd"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area