Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2008, 06:49 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,376,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngentleman View Post
You are right! No Self respecting Southerner would call someone a Yankee as a slur to their face. As a friendly kidding sure!
Do most northerners really take umbrage about being called a "Yankee?" If they do, is it because of the Civil War, i.e. "The Yankees are coming!" Until I moved to ATL, I just felt it was a generic term indicating people who lived in the north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 06:54 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,383,609 times
Southerngentleman, unless I somehow suddenly lost my sense of discernment, I did not miss the point of his post, just as I realize you are attempting to "stir the pot" with dissension to make people feel bad for no apparent reason. That is some kind of "gentlemanly" character you have shown everyone (sarcasm intended)... I would be embarrassed to live in a city full of insolent individuals like you, but fortunately this city is filled with people who are real and genuinely, respectfully care for others even when their backs are turned. Of course, you and guestposter have shown us that not everyone living in the area shows respect for others, but fortunately you belong to a very small segment of local society that most of us aren't forced to mingle with on a daily basis.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:55 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,035,466 times
I occasionally regret my move. It seems like Greenville is of the 'hardcore suburban' type of city, and that sort of thing doesn't appeal to me as much. I'll admit, the weather is a lot more balanced than in the Low Country where I lived before.

Adding onto the whole "Yankees" ordeal; these "Yankees" inhabit every suburb in America, just like every other population group, and probably shouldn't be singled out. Although, I believe they are just as guilty by calling anyone "Redneck". Sure, we Southerners might poke fun at you by calling you a Yankee, but you shouldn't get all teary eyed over it. It's not like it has a serious derogatory meaning. But then again, don't all natives of any place always get antsy when a torrent of "Transplants" comes in? I guess Southerners are just getting to know how the Native Americans must have felt when the original European settlers came; Or how Texans felt when illegal immigration really picked up.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:10 PM

835 posts, read 2,306,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Guestposter, let it be. This is an article describing her first experience in town and the time since. She visited the city as a guest (not a police chief candidate) prior to being accepted for the position, so no one on the street knew who she was or where she had come from. Your mentality is part of a small and diminishing group who view all "outsiders" as invaders of your own territory. Most of the people living in this city today don't think that way and actually know how to respectfully accept differences in appearance and verbal accent for what they are.
I wasn't really quoting you but was quoting what you quoted if that makes sense.

What I was trying to say was that in most parts of the United States only an extremely rude person is going to say a slur to your face. I personally, do not see the word Yankee as a slur. I don't know, maybe it was at one time. I've heard many people call themselves that. Maybe if you hear it upon meeting somebody it would be an "oh a Yankee huh? haha".

Please stop trying to make like my supposed mentality is diminishing just to encourage others to move here. I do not have a problem with any particular person coming here. I mostly don't fear what they bring, but what they are taking away.

Please don't think I am a rude person. You don't know me. I will admit that some of my comments on here have come off as rude because I've posted them in a hurried manner though.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:40 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,578,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post
Does anyone have information on Special Needs children? At the HS level around Greenville?
I guess it depends on what you're looking for, but the Greenville County Schools do offer:
The Washington Center for students with special needs, including metal and physical handicaps, is for students 5-21 years old: About Washington Center

Also, I believe JL Mann High School is the district's satellite school for special education at the high school level. I can't be sure, but here's the school's website which might be able to tell you more: JL Mann Academy

Old 04-27-2008, 12:20 PM

269 posts, read 1,010,708 times
Default le meilleur des mondes possibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Southerngentleman, unless I somehow suddenly lost my sense of discernment, I did not miss the point of his post, just as I realize you are attempting to "stir the pot" with dissension to make people feel bad for no apparent reason. That is some kind of "gentlemanly" character you have shown everyone (sarcasm intended)... I would be embarrassed to live in a city full of insolent individuals like you, but fortunately this city is filled with people who are real and genuinely, respectfully care for others even when their backs are turned. Of course, you and guestposter have shown us that not everyone living in the area shows respect for others, but fortunately you belong to a very small segment of local society that most of us aren't forced to mingle with on a daily basis.
I'm Sorry! Some people have a different view than you,Which seems to make you angry. But There is no need for you to be rude. Pot calling the kettle black.
I will put this in simple language so that I will be understood , I Agreed with Guestposters post, No one calls someone a Yankee in a bad way to their face. That would be RUDE and strange!
It has nothing to do with you! I am sure that you are a perfect example of Greenville,which is the best of all possible cities,in the best of all possible worlds. (alluding to Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz, and Candide) Just to be clear!

Old 04-27-2008, 05:28 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,383,609 times
I respond with criticism only when prompted and am always careful to direct my comments toward the one who provoked a specific response. I am here to help those seeking true positive information about this place, not to attempt throwing dust in their eyes by making it difficult to find good information. They will be able to make better choices after spending time here in the flesh.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:12 PM

36 posts, read 59,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tansiman View Post
I saw a bumper sticker in Greenville,SC that said: Welcome to Greenville , Now leave !!!!!
Most people that move to Greenville love it and want to keep it a secret!
I can see why people feel this way. Gwinnett County in the 90's was "the utopia of Georgia" Just as Greenville is of the Carolinas today. Gwinnett Place was one of the nicest malls in Georgia just as Haywood is for South Carolina. People began moving there left and right. Now 10 years later the city grew unregulated. Gwinnett Place is Ghetto. Gangs are over taking the once top of the line school system and people are selling out. At least the people in Greenville are smart enough to realize that over building and super fast growth only runs your city down in years to come. Augusta Georgia is another prime example of growing to fast. in the 70's and 80's it was booming then all of that over growing then lead to a dead mall, many empty shopping centers and people exiting for Columbia County which is the burbs. They have had to undo the mess they were in for the last few years so they once again can thrive with in the next five years. Columbia South Carolina did the same thing. ride by Dutch Square Mall today and it is burbs arely hanging on and Columbia Place Mall looks like it is headed in to dead mall territory with in the next few years and crime is every where there. Columbia reminds me of Augusta in the 90's when people started heading for suburbia. Greenville do NOT give in to pressure of letting developers overbuild or you will pay for it later on.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:34 AM

363 posts, read 817,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
I occasionally regret my move. It seems like Greenville is of the 'hardcore suburban' type of city, and that sort of thing doesn't appeal to me as much.
I am looking to possible move to the Greenville area in the future and found your comment interesting. Could you elaborate a little on what you meant by 'hardcore suburban' type of city?

Old 04-30-2008, 11:41 AM

36 posts, read 123,234 times
are there any areas just outside the city where one might find small farms, have a few acres? can you recommend? but still good access to the city

steph
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area