Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 10:41 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,097,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
In my very first sentence, I clearly state that I moved to Greenville from Orange County. I lived in Greenville for 3 years and have lived in the south for 20 years.

I said "Be prepared for a shock" because Greenville in general is worlds apart from the Central Coast area of California in general. Reading on the internet about it cannot prepare you for the actual change in reality. I was speaking mostly about the weather with that comment, actually. The first summer is a shock leaving California and coming southeast, not just Greenville.

I did not say anything negative about churches in Greenville. It is true, however, that more social activity in Greenville revolves around church than it does in California. Is there something wrong with suggesting that Greenville might not be the easiest transition to make for herself and for her children? Since she asked if anyone loved it, does it really do her an injustice to hear from people who did not love it? Or perhaps does that broaden her perspective and help her make more of an informed choice?

And what I want to know is, have you lived in California that you feel that your experience can lead you to comment on what the change would be like?
So you lived here 17 years ago, the truth finally comes out. If Greenville today was like Greenville 17 years ago, your points would be valid. Greenville is nothing like it was 17 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 06:03 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,069,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Greenville is nothing like it was 17 years ago.
Curious, how long have you lived in Greenville? Did you live there awhile ago to compare?

I agree, Greenville has come a very long way. Nice downtown, the employers, new neighborhoods, better shopping, etc.

I go to Greenville several times a year, every year. In fundamental ways, it has not changed significantly. The weather. The schools. (And saying they are best in the state of South Carolina is not saying a whole lot.) Traffic is worse. The areas away from downtown are not very pretty, IMHO.

I don't understand why someone is not allowed to express a less than perfect picture of Greenville. Why is it so horrible to say, as I have, you know, it has some nice qualities, but it is not perfect? Why cannot this be mentioned to someone who is coming from a place so vastly different as California is? Why do you all feel so threatened by this? I really don't get it.

And BTW, the weather in somewhere like Santa Barbara is very different in the summer from the valleys north of L.A. Avg. July high temp in S. Barbara is 77; in Northridge, it is 89.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:39 AM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,767,525 times
I see that the Greenville cheerleaders get defensive when anything bad is said about Greenville.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:26 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,547,521 times
Quote:
Curious, how long have you lived in Greenville? Did you live there awhile ago to compare?

I agree, Greenville has come a very long way. Nice downtown, the employers, new neighborhoods, better shopping, etc.

I go to Greenville several times a year, every year. In fundamental ways, it has not changed significantly. The weather. The schools. (And saying they are best in the state of South Carolina is not saying a whole lot.) Traffic is worse. The areas away from downtown are not very pretty, IMHO.

I don't understand why someone is not allowed to express a less than perfect picture of Greenville. Why is it so horrible to say, as I have, you know, it has some nice qualities, but it is not perfect? Why cannot this be mentioned to someone who is coming from a place so vastly different as California is? Why do you all feel so threatened by this? I really don't get it.

And BTW, the weather in somewhere like Santa Barbara is very different in the summer from the valleys north of L.A. Avg. July high temp in S. Barbara is 77; in Northridge, it is 89.
There is nothing wrong with expressing a different opinion....but to tell you the truth I am glad that the Greenville cheerleaders become defensive.....it gives people considering moving to the area a clear understanding that Greenville is very different (not in a good way) from larger cities and many of its residents are not tolerant about different opinions. If residents are clearly showing that they have no respect for different opinions this should make anyone reading re-consider moving to the area.

It is funny though.....they try to paint this perfect picture of Greenville and then turn around and let people see them try to censor and attack other posters...very ugly! You were right.....some fundamental things in the south have not changed!

Old 06-02-2010, 08:06 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,577,072 times
Quote:
I'm glad you visit a few times every year. However, you must realize that those visits do not allow you to make entirely accurate depictions of an area. The best example is the schools. How can you honestly put them down based on a couple of short visits? While you're here, do you visit schools, talk with teachers and principals, or schedule a one-on-one meeting with the Superintendent? For those who are curious about schools, here's some FACTS:

-8 Greenville County high schools are ranked in the top six percent of high schools in the nation by Newsweek Magazine.
-90% of Greenville County's graduates go to college, receiving over $100 million in scholarships last year.
-Our students outperform their peers across the Nation and State on the ACT
college entrance exam.
-98% of Greenville County teachers are highly qualified, and we have more National Board Certified teachers – 500 – than 31 STATES.
-Average age of schools buildings: 8 years

It amazes me that a school district which rewards its teachers for pursuing National Board Certification has a greater number of certified teachers in ONE COUNTY than in 31 other STATES. Yet, the education in that one county is apparently 'terrible' based on what a VISITOR says. So, let's forget the fact that Greenville County boasts a Spanish Embassy program, foreign language partial-immersion program, engineering-focused elementary school, facilities that are ALL recently constructed, and its ACT scores are above the national average.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:27 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,805,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QTeeOne View Post
Are you crazy?! Leaving CA? OK. But, coming to South Carolina? Seriously? Everything is completely different. It literally is like another country. The attitudes border on oppressive. You really should think about this, especially with children. How about another Western state? Just a thought. Good luck to you though.
I totally agree with this post...Coming from CA To SC....I say do your homework very carefully...As a native Carolinian.. who's visited CA/West Coast many times...I absolutely love the west coast....Totally different vibe there than Greenville, SC. Much more laid back..but more progressive..Not to say that Greenville, SC is not progressive...but the west coast is on whole another level..If you are use to a lot of diversity/great cultural arts scene/picturesque beaches...... then stay put.....Yes the cost of living may be a little higher and the economy may be in shambles....but I look at the glass as being 1/2 full instead of 1/2 empty...Bottom line Greenville is a married town....very conservative, very staunch. If you are into the family thing and driving your kid(s) to soccer/basketball practice..this is the city for you. Lame nightlife, lame cultural and arts scene...I encourage to come and spend at least 3-4 days here....and make your determination...Good Luck to ya.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:58 AM

27 posts, read 80,688 times
CalgirlinNC - I'm flummoxxed by your posts. On another board you are discussing your move to Charleston and complaining about the difficulty of finding a rental house. I lived for 43 years in Santa Cruz, CA, and moved this past month to Greenville after living in Aiken, SC for 5 years.

You state that rentals run 100. a sq foot in Charleston and that Greenville wasn't any better. Well, excuse me, my husband and I found, through Craigslist, an utterly charming 1600 sq ft house for half of that in an awesome neighborhood. You complain about the weather in Greenville, yet you are moving to an area that is very uncomfortable 5 months a year, is bloated with traffic and is in the Hurricane belt (with the insurance rates). Don't get me wrong, I like Charleston very much, and will continue to visit there as well as Pawley's and Edisto, but I could never live there. Too much humidity and bugs for me. At least relief from Summer's heat is minutes away in Greenville...not hours.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:45 AM

Excuse ME, but I never said that rentals in Greenville run 100 a sq. ft. I said it was a tight rental market, which IMHO, it seems to be. Go back and read my posts before you accuse me and attack me for no founded reason.

And actually, I don't hate the whole Southeast. The OP, who is not posting again, asked about Greenville. There are other reasons besides the weather I wouldn't recommend Greenville over some other cities in the Southeast. Read my 2nd post.

Glad you are happy in Greenville. Glad I can be happy in Charleston or wherever my DH's job takes us, which is why we are going.

Peace. Out.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:00 AM

1,941 posts, read 4,469,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytestar View Post
CalgirlinNC - I'm flummoxxed by your posts. On another board you are discussing your move to Charleston and complaining about the difficulty of finding a rental house. I lived for 43 years in Santa Cruz, CA, and moved this past month to Greenville after living in Aiken, SC for 5 years.

You state that rentals run 100. a sq foot in Charleston and that Greenville wasn't any better. Well, excuse me, my husband and I found, through Craigslist, an utterly charming 1600 sq ft house for half of that in an awesome neighborhood. You complain about the weather in Greenville, yet you are moving to an area that is very uncomfortable 5 months a year, is bloated with traffic and is in the Hurricane belt (with the insurance rates). Don't get me wrong, I like Charleston very much, and will continue to visit there as well as Pawley's and Edisto, but I could never live there. Too much humidity and bugs for me. At least relief from Summer's heat is minutes away in Greenville...not hours.
It's funny, caligirlnc doesn't talk like she has lived in Greenville. In one of her posts on the Charleston forum, she mentioned living in LA, NY, and DC, but not Greenville:

//www.city-data.com/forum/charl...l#post14292028

Also, she mentions in the Charleston forum that she and her husband looked into rental houses in Greenville but were astonished by the price. Again, no mention of living there previously.

//www.city-data.com/forum/charl...l#post14181111

LOL! This is entertaining. Who brought the popcorn?

Old 06-02-2010, 10:05 AM

This is ridiculous. I have stated numeous times on this thread that I lived in Greenville for 3 years. I did not say I was astonished by the price of rental homes in Greenville. I said I was astonished by the price in Charleston. And I have lived in LA and DC. It was a post related to traffic.
I have not nor have I ever stated that I live in NY. That is just plain fiction.

You are making things up so you can attack me and that is plain wrong.

Why do you have to attack someone just because their opinion differs from yours?

I think it is clear, to those of you who are wondering about moving to Greenville, this thread speaks for itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area