Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 09:41 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,310,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trivettes View Post
My mom passed last month and wanted direct cremation. She already had a plot and headstone next to her late husband. Total cost was $3535.00

Here's the breakdown:

Direct Cremation: $2400.00
Cardboard Cremation Container: $145.00 (Yes, they charged for this even tho I bought an Urn!)
Urn: $295.00
Cemetery (to open and close grave): $475.00
Certified Copies Death Certificate (5).: $32.00
Newspaper Notice: $158.00
Permit: $30.00

I was astonished, mainly because they charged for the cardboard container, then poured the ashes into the Urn and discarded the cardboard box. I paid $145 for a cardboard box???

Guess things are expensive down here. Mom and I thought it would be a lot less but then she hadn't prepaid the cremation so we really didn't know.

I still have to have the date of death inscribed on her headstone and that cost is separate and charged by the guy who does the engraving. I was told that takes a little time, maybe another month. Sigh.
I agree that the $145.00 for a cardboard box seems high but if it makes you feel any better it probably also included the cost of shipping a box of "hazardous waste". I know the ashes of my husband were shipped that way---across town no less. I guess we were lucky because we got the zip lock bag and a PLASTIC box for free (or rolled into the other fees where they could hide its cost).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 10:22 AM

833 posts, read 1,713,851 times
When I checked prices, they mentioned the cardboard box.

It was not for storing ashes but for storing the body until cremation.

( that's what I was told )

Old 06-15-2012, 10:58 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,875,360 times
My dad's funeral was around $10,000

Old 06-15-2012, 12:52 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,310,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf fan View Post
When I checked prices, they mentioned the cardboard box.

It was not for storing ashes but for storing the body until cremation.

( that's what I was told )
Ah, now that makes more sense. I could see those costing $145.00.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:51 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,073,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I agree that the $145.00 for a cardboard box seems high but if it makes you feel any better it probably also included the cost of shipping a box of "hazardous waste". I know the ashes of my husband were shipped that way---across town no less. I guess we were lucky because we got the zip lock bag and a PLASTIC box for free (or rolled into the other fees where they could hide its cost).

Yes, it may be hard to believe but human remains are considered "HAZARDOUS WASTE".

Old 06-15-2012, 03:19 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,369,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chgodon View Post
These forums have been a great help with other topics. Sorry to post here, but I could not find a better forum. I'm pre-planning funeral expenses for a relative. I received a price for a "direct cremation" of $3,740. Does that seem a little too high? This includes picking up the deceased, cremation and memorial service. I'm not sticker shocked but I thought it would be closer to $1,500. Anybody go thru this process? Again, this is all preplanning. If it matters, this would be done in the Northwest Chicago suburbs. I wanted to save some time calling other funeral homes.
I know I'm 6-months late to this discussion, but I'll chime in - for what it's worth.

$3750 seems pretty reasonable for what you mentioned. You're talking about 4 pretty specific things:
1. Picking up the body. This is FAR more complicated and involved than most people imagine.
2. Cremation. Keep in mind that the "crematorium oven" probably costs over $100,000. They've gotta pay for it somehow.
3. Memorial Service. This alone is a couple thousand from most funeral homes. There are a lot of people, a lot of time, and a lot of work involved.
4. All the proper paperwork. I know they "do this for a living," but it takes a lot of time and absolutely has to be done correctly.

So... As hard as it is to believe, I'm thinking that anything under $4,000 is probably not at all out of line.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:30 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,678,621 times
As a FYI, I did a qucik check of our "Human Body Transport" regulations and it seems that in most US states, family members are allowed to transport the body to a funeral homes, cremetorium, morturay, or final resting place. Most do require a permit that seems more to do with making sure they state knows where the body is going (and apparently to let the police know its alright for you to have a dead body in the trunk).

There are several quiky things like the common notice of only within 24 hours of death. Some require a particular body "package" bag obtainable at any funeral home or health dept or enviromental agency. There is the you can do it so long as the guardian of the body and no funeral staff person has touched the body. And one that even prohibits driving through atunnel, only open roads and bridges.

Now, you will be surpised how many states specifically wrote into their laws that the family has the legal right to perform their own funeral service and final handling (consistant with laws and regulations) as they see fit.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:45 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
I located my mother's funeral bill.
Use of facilities...$4550
Casket...$4895
Vault...$1395
Cemetery...$185 (burial crew)
Clergy...$400
Certified copies...$60 (10 copies of death cert.)
Hairdresser...$35
Total...$11, 520

Old 06-15-2012, 03:51 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
As a FYI, I did a qucik check of our "Human Body Transport" regulations and it seems that in most US states, family members are allowed to transport the body to a funeral homes, cremetorium, morturay, or final resting place. Most do require a permit that seems more to do with making sure they state knows where the body is going (and apparently to let the police know its alright for you to have a dead body in the trunk).

There are several quiky things like the common notice of only within 24 hours of death. Some require a particular body "package" bag obtainable at any funeral home or health dept or enviromental agency. There is the you can do it so long as the guardian of the body and no funeral staff person has touched the body. And one that even prohibits driving through atunnel, only open roads and bridges.

Now, you will be surpised how many states specifically wrote into their laws that the family has the legal right to perform their own funeral service and final handling (consistant with laws and regulations) as they see fit.
THANK YOU, SIR!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I located my mother's funeral bill.
Use of facilities...$4550
Casket...$4895
Vault...$1395
Cemetery...$185 (burial crew)
Clergy...$400
Certified copies...$60 (10 copies of death cert.)
Hairdresser...$35
Total...$11, 520
Wow, it sure adds up fast, doesn't it, kygman. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning