Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2012, 08:14 PM

62 posts, read 70,879 times

Advertisements

Situation: I grew up with their son.. and from day one of knowing their son of course as girls would I had my first crush but as time went on me my family his family all became like honestly one big family and just grew up.. about 3 years ago the father died.. I got married soon after anywho you know most the time when something like that happens people just soon forget someone if their is no real connection their I find myself thinking about that person who passed quiet often .. this may sound like a dumb question but why is this???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 10:15 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,261,102 times
This is a real interesting article you may want to read:
How We Misinterpret Grief | Psychology Today

If you need someone to talk to, feel free to send me a private message anytime.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:55 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,339,808 times
Thank you Glory B- good article

Old 05-11-2012, 12:36 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,305,353 times
I'd say there WAS a connection there lady_independant....that's why you won't soon, if ever forget....I too, sometimes think of those no longer here....the closer I was to them....the more I remember and think of them.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:27 PM

24,774 posts, read 28,563,299 times
It takes time... don't rush it. It's a part of your life...savor the good times and the bad times..it's your memories. Good or Bad... time heals... but time never forgets..

Old 05-13-2012, 10:30 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,214,037 times
Even though it was long after the relationship ended, I went to my first boyfriend's father's funeral. He was a good man and a very kind man to me. It really had nothing to do with the boyfriend; the father was just a good person who had been in my life and I also was close to his mom who I had tremendous sympathy for.

He is burried in this hidden cemetary up this hill that overlooks a river and you'd never know it was there and I often visit his gravesite, particularly on father's day.

Some people just leave a significant impact in your life.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:10 AM

24,774 posts, read 28,563,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Even though it was long after the relationship ended, I went to my first boyfriend's father's funeral. He was a good man and a very kind man to me. It really had nothing to do with the boyfriend; the father was just a good person who had been in my life and I also was close to his mom who I had tremendous sympathy for.

He is burried in this hidden cemetary up this hill that overlooks a river and you'd never know it was there and I often visit his gravesite, particularly on father's day.

Some people just leave a significant impact in your life.
O'yes !!

Old 05-14-2012, 08:25 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,204,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_independent View Post
Situation: I grew up with their son.. and from day one of knowing their son of course as girls would I had my first crush but as time went on me my family his family all became like honestly one big family and just grew up.. about 3 years ago the father died.. I got married soon after anywho you know most the time when something like that happens people just soon forget someone if their is no real connection their I find myself thinking about that person who passed quiet often .. this may sound like a dumb question but why is this???
I don't think that "most of the time people soon forget." Nope, I think that most of the time people remember those that were connected in a pleasant way.

For that reason, I think that you are doing what a good many of us would do....remember the good times.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:19 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,328,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I don't think that "most of the time people soon forget." Nope, I think that most of the time people remember those that were connected in a pleasant way.

For that reason, I think that you are doing what a good many of us would do....remember the good times.
I agree. I think people perceive not talking about a deceased person as "people soon forget" but that's not true by any stretch of the imagination. It's normal to have memories triggered. Our lives are interwoven with other people and just because someone is gone doesn't mean we're gone too. When we remember someone else, we're also remembering how and who we were when our paths crossed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning