Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 03:31 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,760,015 times

Advertisements

When a friend has a loved one die many of us are at a loss on what to do to help. For those of you who have lost loved one, husband, parent, child what did people do that helped you the most?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 07:20 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,551,923 times
Keeping in contact, a good strong hug each time you greet the person in mourning, dropping over for a short visit after asking permission if it is a good time, bringing occasional meals or offering to meet for lunch, not making loose comments such as "call me if you ever need to talk or need something". I know saying it is meant as an act of kindness, but not too many people actually call someone when they are having a bad day. Speaking about their loved ones and bringing up good memories. Letting the person in mourning talk about anything and everything about their loved ones, even if you don't want to hear it again.

Just being there. (actually BEING there for them)

Old 01-12-2014, 12:05 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,579,481 times
Just being there. Truly being there. Listening. Caring. Hugging. Being there.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:31 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,320,618 times
My friend lost her sister about a year and a half ago. (They were super close.) I know my friend misses her sister and still wants to talk about her. So I bring up her sister every so often when we're together...No one else talks about my friend's sister anymore. (Not even her husband.) And this is what I run into myself.. Most of my friends don't mention my husband and sons anymore. (On their own.)...I talk about them once in awhile because they're still on my mind. They still "exist" for me and always will..I decided to try-out a grief support group this week so I can talk about my loved ones. And be around other people who still want to talk about their deceased loved ones too.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
My friend lost her sister about a year and a half ago. (They were super close.) I know my friend misses her sister and still wants to talk about her. So I bring up her sister every so often when we're together...No one else talks about my friend's sister anymore. (Not even her husband.) And this is what I run into myself.. Most of my friends don't mention my husband and sons anymore. (On their own.)...I talk about them once in awhile because they're still on my mind. They still "exist" for me and always will..I decided to try-out a grief support group this week so I can talk about my loved ones. And be around other people who still want to talk about their deceased loved ones too.
CArizona? your husband and sons died?

I think your suggestion is a good one.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
CArizona? your husband and sons died?

I think your suggestion is a good one.
Thanks...My husband and sons passed-away within a short span of time. I know it may take me awhile to work through my grief.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Thanks...My husband and sons passed-away within a short span of time. I know it may take me awhile to work through my grief.
Oh god, how horrible. This is what I mean, I don't want to say the same cliche things and don't know what to say. I don't know if it is right to ask what happened. This is why people have a hard time and why I asked. I do hope you can work it out and find some peace within to be able to smile again and to see life as you did before they passed. I miss the innocence of youth.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Oh god, how horrible. This is what I mean, I don't want to say the same cliche things and don't know what to say. I don't know if it is right to ask what happened. This is why people have a hard time and why I asked. I do hope you can work it out and find some peace within to be able to smile again and to see life as you did before they passed. I miss the innocence of youth.
Thanks for writing and caring...My husband developed pancreatic cancer. My younger son battled fast-growing cancerous brain tumors. And my older son developed (other) health problems that lead to a heart condition...Everyone seemed "fine" earlier in life. My younger son had a non-cancerous brain tumor when he was 22 that caused some complications but he did great for 15 years or so. (With no problems.)...My husband and older son always seemed like the "picture of health."..There was no indication or warning that everyone was going to get sick and die so young. (All in a row!).. It's been a "shocker." And I know it's going to take time to work through my grief.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:04 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,041,951 times
thank you for starting this thread and thank you all for responding.... a dear friend just passed away from cancer this week and I want to continue to be a friend to her husband.... I knew that just being there was important, but it is nice to see that reaffirmed...

CArizona.... warm, healing hugs headed your way from me......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:04 AM

1,794 posts, read 4,920,476 times
My dad died and then my brother died 2 weeks later, exactly to
the day.
My mom had severe alheimers, and couldn't understand anything,
so I was left dealing with everything.
Someone went a bought me a big bottle of wine.
I don't drink, let alone wine, but i had a difficult
time sleeping.
Well, let me tell you, that wine went a long way helping me
sleep and cope with bad nerves.
You can stand alot when you are able to sleep.
So, my answer was, a nice big bottle of wine.
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning