Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 03:10 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times

Advertisements

Unless one is forced to do something (health, economy, etc.) then I say just sit on everything for at least one year. Then consider changes. Do not rush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 02:55 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,571,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Not really, you just learn to accept and live with it. The crying used to be right on the surface but now I have it stuffed way down so I don't usually cry at the drop of a hat anymore. I live day to day now.
The crying is right on the surface for me. It's where I do cry at the mention of his name, our marriage, trips we took. I can't think of him, or say his name without crying. I stuffed it down for so many years that now it's coming up to the surface and reducing me to a teary mess at the slightest mention of Bob.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:24 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,352,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Not really, you just learn to accept and live with it. The crying used to be right on the surface but now I have it stuffed way down so I don't usually cry at the drop of a hat anymore. I live day to day now.
I can't really discuss it without tearing up, around women anyway. I don't talk about it with the guys and if I do I don't cry of course. I keep talking with more and more people who have lost their SO. Cancer, suicide, more cancer. I didn't appreciate what they went through until now.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:49 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
I can't really discuss it without tearing up, around women anyway. I don't talk about it with the guys and if I do I don't cry of course. I keep talking with more and more people who have lost their SO. Cancer, suicide, more cancer. I didn't appreciate what they went through until now.
It's been a whole lot longer for me than you, artisan. It took me over a year to get to "acceptable" in my book. Yes, I sure did not understand what people went through losing their SO either.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:12 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
The crying is right on the surface for me. It's where I do cry at the mention of his name, our marriage, trips we took. I can't think of him, or say his name without crying. I stuffed it down for so many years that now it's coming up to the surface and reducing me to a teary mess at the slightest mention of Bob.
I'm so sorry - same here (it's not been that long but I'm having a really hard time)

Old 03-22-2014, 06:22 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I'm so sorry - same here (it's not been that long but I'm having a really hard time)
Do you have any children at home that you need to put on a strong act for? If not, cry, cry and cry some more. Scream if you want. All my neighbors heard me wailing every day, morning, noon and night for months upon months.

If you believe in a deity, pray. After 6 months I prayed and it's been uphill ever since.

This will not ever go away completely but it does get easier to deal with over time.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,031 times
A week after my husband's death I took our rings to a jeweler who attacthed them, one inside the other, at the top he added a bale. I wear them around my neck on a gold chain.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:33 PM

23,172 posts, read 26,189,754 times
When I took his off, I put it on my middle finger and it fit so there it will stay for .....who knows, for the foreseeable future, that's for sure.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:42 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,571,496 times
4 1/2 years and I'm still wearing mine, his is on a chain around my neck...no intention of taking my rings off. I'm over 60, living alone for the first time in my life, trying to figure out who I am. My whole life was someone's daughter, then wife, mother, grandmother and now just me...widow. I'm getting used to living alone and I cannot see myself every remarrying because in my heart, I still am married. And I'm still deeply in love with my husband. When I'm no longer in love with him, I might take my rings off, but I really can't see that happening. This month we'd be celebrating our 41st wedding anniversary....

Old 06-26-2014, 07:28 PM

1 posts, read 942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellbell54 View Post
I looked up this question and found this website. My husband has been gone for 2 years and I not only wear my rings but I wear a ring of his on my right hand middle finger. I know that I'm not married any longer but I can't bring myself to take it off. I see people who has loss their spouses and have removed their rings. I was starting to feel like I was weird by not taking them off. I can't wear them at work but on my days off I find so much comfort in putting them back on again. Its like slipping a old friend back onto my finger. I don't think I will ever completely remove them. I don't judge anyone if they remove them or wear their rings, I guess its a matter of what you can do to make yourself happy.

I lost my husband 5 months ago and have not taken off my rings. Actually I took his wedding ring and another ring he wore on special occasions and had them put together and sized to fit my middle finger, and I wear his rings right next to my wedding rings. I can't imagine not having them on with mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning