Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 02:28 PM

708 posts, read 1,295,012 times

Advertisements

Ten years ago, I lost my beloved 13 year old son due to a driver on drugs ridiing up on the sidewalk while my son was riding his bike. Obviously, I was devastated, and immediately started to find out why such a horrible thing could happen to such an amazing child. I hated all the things people said... he is in a better place... how do they know. Everyone that has lost a child knows what I am talking about so no need to go any further on that topic.

I was really determined to find some answers. Most people say there are no answers, but at the same time they have basically given up looking for answers, except in books, which to me are like menus. Books describe something but aren't the something they describe. I can't eat a cookbook, although it describes food... it isn't food.

But I did start reading a few books. One in particular was intriguing. Many Lives, Many Masters, by Brian Weiss. www.brianweiss.com. It talked about past life regression and how we have lived many lives and each life we are here to learn certain lessons. Well, as I said, books are not a real experience, so I went to Miami, FL and was past life regressed by the assistant to Brian Weiss. I actually went twice. I did go back to previous lives under hypnosis and connected with a past life that was very similar to the life I was leading in this life. That session set me on a new course direction, which has changed my life (in this life). There was another session that was so personal and mindbogling that I don't really share it with people that I don't know very, very well.

So I did find some answers, not by reading about food but by going to a place where food can be eaten.

I also went to a medium shortly after my son's death. With out ever describing my son he knew things about Evan that nobody knew except his mom and I.

The other book that helped me was You Never Die, by George Anderson www.georgeanderson.com He is probably the most prolific medium on the planet. His website can offer hope for your departed children. My wife and I did see him in Long Island,NY and had a great reading. A reading is something that can never be understood by anyone else. It's so personal that it cannot be shared, as words are not the experience.

Hope some of this helps. I know now there are answers, and I still haven't stopped looking.

Last edited by seethelight; 06-23-2012 at 02:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 06:39 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,629,002 times
First off, I am so sorry about what happened to your son. I have typed and deleted four more sentences here that seemed so hollow. It's just awful, and unfair, and I'm sorry.

I have read both books you mention and they helped me too. I have dreamed of doing what you did, though, in taking it to the next level. How wonderful to hear how you connected.

Thanks for sharing such a hopeful post. Blessings to you and your wife.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:00 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
Seethelight and akm4, I just want to send you both my condolences.

I don't read the threads about losing children because I haven't gone through that and I pray I never do. Quite frankly, I can't stand the thought of reading those threads because I'm afraid of the pain they may hold.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Seethelight and akm4, I just want to send you both my condolences.

I don't read the threads about losing children because I haven't gone through that and I pray I never do. Quite frankly, I can't stand the thought of reading those threads because I'm afraid of the pain they may hold.
Both of the books I recommended are about the life after this one and that applies to everyone.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:28 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,875,082 times
First of all, I am so sorry about the loss of your son. After my daughter (at 18) passed last year, I also read Many Lives, Many Masters and found it to be quite intriguing. I have been a non-believer for many years, so I had a hard time with all of the "god" and "christian" grief books, as they rang untrue to my soul.
If it's not too personal to ask, how did your past life regression compare with the ones in the book? Were there sprit guides speaking to the assistant regressing you after you passed? Was Evan in your past life/lives in another role? I guess I would just like to know everything about your experiences Please feel free to DM if you would be interested in sharing, thank you.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:57 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
To the OP and skyegirl - my daughter passed away 7 weeks ago tomorrow. She was 36 and left behind a husband and 3 beautiful children. She was beautiful, a brilliant writer, a teacher and has been described as "uniquely singular". I miss her terribly.

Like skyegirl, I struggle with my beliefs and I am going to buy Brian Weiss's book, Many Lives, Many Masters. Deep down, I feel my daughter lives on somewhere and is being healed. I've had some strange occurrences over the past few weeks that I believe are messages telling me that my daughter is thinking of me and that she is still with me.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:58 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,875,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
To the OP and skyegirl - my daughter passed away 7 weeks ago tomorrow. She was 36 and left behind a husband and 3 beautiful children. She was beautiful, a brilliant writer, a teacher and has been described as "uniquely singular". I miss her terribly.

Like skyegirl, I struggle with my beliefs and I am going to buy Brian Weiss's book, Many Lives, Many Masters. Deep down, I feel my daughter lives on somewhere and is being healed. I've had some strange occurrences over the past few weeks that I believe are messages telling me that my daughter is thinking of me and that she is still with me.
I have to tell you this...as I was writing my little note to you, thinking about the messeges you have received from your daughter, a commercial I've never seen before came on about diabetes (my daughter was a diabetic). It's those little coincidences, which I don't believe are coincidences anymore, that keep me going. Wishing you peace and healing.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:02 AM

6,260 posts, read 5,066,250 times
I am very pleased that so many of you have found comfort through your beliefs of afterlife or coincidences that seem and feel like messages from your loved ones. I wish I could believe in the same things but I don't. My belief system is that he is just dead, gone, no more, the end. I don't believe he is living on somewhere. He's just dead. I wish I believed what you believe because it would be easier and bring some release. But I truly am glad that you have found some comfort.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
I am very pleased that so many of you have found comfort through your beliefs of afterlife or coincidences that seem and feel like messages from your loved ones. I wish I could believe in the same things but I don't. My belief system is that he is just dead, gone, no more, the end. I don't believe he is living on somewhere. He's just dead. I wish I believed what you believe because it would be easier and bring some release. But I truly am glad that you have found some comfort.
The thing about belief is that it's just a way to say you don't know. You will never KNOW something without experiencing it. If you have never been to Uruguay you can believe all you want about that country,even reading books about it, but you will NEVER know what Uruguay is really like unless you have been there, as I have, so I know about it. If someone said what do you believe about the people in Uruguay, I can say I don't have to believe because I know, from experience.

Same with the spirit world and life after death. Unless you take some steps to have actual experiences, you can only believe and never know what's going on in the place after this world.

When I first saw a medium a month after my son's death it was the most healing experience that I experienced since his death. Not reading books, not listening to people who tried to give me "good" advice, nothing was helping me deal with my incredible loss. When I heard the medium describe things about Evan that was impossible for anyone to know except his mother and I, the extreme pain in me left. Bascially,Evan said he was okay, and that's all I really wanted to know. There were many more experiences to come, but not by reading books and "believing". You have to take a chance of going beyond belief, otherwise, how will you know how your loved one is doing.

One thing that happened the evening Evan died was that my other son and 8 of his close friends had a dream, or something more real than a dream, saying that he was okay and not to worry.

I have had this bad feeling about belief all my life. Please understand, you can believe anything you want, but that doesn't make it true, or real.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:52 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,629,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
...the evening Evan died was that my other son and 8 of his close friends had a dream, or something more real than a dream, saying that he was okay and not to worry.
I write about grief and grief support. I have met so many people who have told me something this happened to them. The sheer number of times I've heard it makes it hard for me to dismiss. I suspect it happens more than we realize, but many people don't feel comfortable discussing their experience.

I'm glad your son and his friends spoke up and shared Evan's message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning