Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 05:01 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,812,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Happy the day before your birthday, Maggie!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 05:06 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
My husband and I went to a corn maze one year. I was thrilled like a little kid! It was so much fun going around trying to find our way out! My hubby had me leading the way. When we started passing the same people over and over again, I would break down into fits of laughter and I'd get the other people loling too! It got to be hysterical! Finally, after about 4 hours of almost peeing my pants with laughter, my hubby said "okay, time to go" and just led me out of there! He knew the "secret" all along even though he had never been in one of these mazes either! Went to work the next day and just raved about our little adventure out in the corn. That was one of my happiest memories.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:13 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,812,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
I give my family a lot of credit for the strength and "pioneer spirit" I have today!...Growing-up I always listened intensely when my parents and grandparents (and other adults) shared stories about their life during the Depression...My Mom used to talk about their "Christmas bush!" Most of the time her parents couldn't afford to buy a regular Christmas tree so they settled for a bush and decorated it with ornaments!...Nobody had money to buy toys or new clothes for gifts. Mom said she felt lucky and thrilled to death if she just got a new pair of shoes for Christmas. This was a "big deal" to her. (And her brother and 2 sisters.)...Mom talked about how her Dad "performed miracles" and did whatever it took to make suree his family always had a turkey on Thanksgiving and Christmas no matter what!....Somehow they always tried to make the "best" of things and see some "positives" in life even during the roughest of times!...My Dad told stories about how he and his family survived the "Dust Bowl" on their farm in Kansas...All of their "survival tales" live inside my mind and maybe even my veins and give me strength today. (Especially during my "darkest hours!")
This reminds me of my Mom's stories about her Christmases in Canada. The most special gift was an orange in the bottom of her Christmas stocking. Oranges were hard to come by in Manitoba, Canada.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:51 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,314,426 times
Maggie...Thanks for sharing so much about your Mom. I like the way you and your family decided to "celebrate" your Mom and her life after she passed-on...When my Mom died my Dad was still alive so Mom had a traditional funeral in the Catholic church..It was different when my Dad died. I was the only one left in the family...Anyway I asked the priest to please tone-down all the heavy-duty talk about my Dad being a sinner at his funeral. (If he could.)...I had been away from the church for a long time and I wasn't used to all the "sinner talk" anymore...I told the priest that my Dad wasn't a "perfect person." He had some "faults." But all in all "his good" far outweighed any "bad."(In my estimation anyway!)....And hearing him called a "sinner" over and over again was hard for me. I wanted to "celebrate" his life and who he was etc..The priest was nice! He listened to me and he did a toned-down and abbreviated service...I thanked him afterwards and shook his hand!...A couple of days before the funeral I called a few relatives and let them "off the hook" about coming to my Dad's funeral. I knew they were only coming out of debt, duty and obligation and I didn't want to "mess" with them! They seemed relieved too!......Anyway enough! Thanks for sharing. Happy birthday tomorrow!...P/S: My Dad (usually) only got oranges at Christmas too! All the farmers in the area bartered with each other so they could give their kids "special treats" for Christmas. (Fruits and veggies or nuts they didn't grow themselves.)

Old 09-23-2012, 08:18 PM

Pikantari...I'm sorry your lost your Mom too. You handled your Mom's final hours so well! You were so brave!...I can relate to feeling like a "zombie." But you let your heart lead the way...I'm glad you're in such a happy relationship today and it helps ease some of your pain...I don't want to fret over the coming holidays and feel sorry for myself because everyone is "gone" now. I'm sure I'll feel sad at times and need to cry. (Maybe a lot!)...I'll probably feel mad at everyone for leaving and abandoning me at times too...I don't want to leap at every holiday invitation that comes my way just to avoid being alone...I'm going to take things day by day and take a "wait and see approach" as the holidays draw closer...Fall has always been my favorite season of the year. And I'm going to let myself enjoy the arrival of Fall "just because!" (Just because I deserve to enjoy some things in life!)

Old 09-24-2012, 01:12 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
Quote:
Maggie...Thanks for sharing so much about your Mom. I like the way you and your family decided to "celebrate" your Mom and her life after she passed-on...When my Mom died my Dad was still alive so Mom had a traditional funeral in the Catholic church..It was different when my Dad died. I was the only one left in the family...Anyway I asked the priest to please tone-down all the heavy-duty talk about my Dad being a sinner at his funeral. (If he could.)...I had been away from the church for a long time and I wasn't used to all the "sinner talk" anymore...I told the priest that my Dad wasn't a "perfect person." He had some "faults." But all in all "his good" far outweighed any "bad."(In my estimation anyway!)....And hearing him called a "sinner" over and over again was hard for me. I wanted to "celebrate" his life and who he was etc..The priest was nice! He listened to me and he did a toned-down and abbreviated service...I thanked him afterwards and shook his hand!...A couple of days before the funeral I called a few relatives and let them "off the hook" about coming to my Dad's funeral. I knew they were only coming out of debt, duty and obligation and I didn't want to "mess" with them! They seemed relieved too!......Anyway enough! Thanks for sharing. Happy birthday tomorrow!...P/S: My Dad (usually) only got oranges at Christmas too! All the farmers in the area bartered with each other so they could give their kids "special treats" for Christmas. (Fruits and veggies or nuts they didn't grow themselves.)
Shows to go ya how much I remember about the Catholic Church! My mother died when I was 39 and I hadn't been into the Church since I left it at 15. Dad and I had her funeral at the Church since she was always Catholic. I can't recall a thing the priest said that day except he called her by the wrong name once and not a single soul got up for communion and the priest was pi$$ed to no end. Sinner, my left foot! We all know we are, so why rub our noses in it at such a time? Phooey-pooey!

[quote=CArizona;26221276]Pikantari...I'm sorry your lost your Mom too. You handled your Mom's final hours so well! You were so brave!...I can relate to feeling like a "zombie." But you let your heart lead the way...I'm glad you're in such a happy relationship today and it helps ease some of your pain...I don't want to fret over the coming holidays and feel sorry for myself because everyone is "gone" now. I'm sure I'll feel sad at times and need to cry. (Maybe a lot!)...I'll probably feel mad at everyone for leaving and abandoning me at times too...I don't want to leap at every holiday invitation that comes my way just to avoid being alone...I'm going to take things day by day and take a "wait and see approach" as the holidays draw closer...Fall has always been my favorite season of the year. And I'm going to let myself enjoy the arrival of Fall "just because!" (Just because I deserve to enjoy some things in life!)[/quote]

You go, girl!

Old 09-25-2012, 07:55 AM

tamiznluv...Thanks for responding. My cousin says that funerals in the Catholic church are a little different today. (At least in her area anyway.) She says there is more emphasis on honoring and celebrating a person's life...At my Mom's funeral some relatives who had been away from the church for years (or decades) went up to receive Communion...They did this as a way to honor my Mom. My Dad thought it was fine. But other relatives raised a "stink" about it. (Until my Dad got upset and told them to "knock it off!")...My parents were devout Caltholics but they felt okay about "bending" some "rules" at times...Sorry the priest raised a "stink" because no one went up for Communion at your Mom's funeral.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:57 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times
My grandmother was one of my favorite people in the world. I saw her a lot growing up and then she moved 4 hours away and I saw her a bit less.

This is going to be taking it back a long time.

I can remember one fall day and the air was cool. I was only 5 years old, and had gone to a pumpkin patch during school. There I sat with my pumpkin, riding on the bus home. That thing was heavy and as I sit here right now, I can remember thinking to myself, "How am I going to carry this down the street?!?!?"

When I was little, my street seemed so long. I have gone back and visited it as an adult and it looks much shorter now.

I got off the bus and the fall leaves flew around and there I was with a pumpkin in my arms. I always used to look at my feet when I was walking as a little girl and I walked along.

I almost ran into someone one making my way to the top of the hill which was my street! It was my Grandma!

I was so excited I almost dropped my pumpkin on the ground. My parents kept it a secret from me that she was coming, so it was a great surprise. She held the pumpkin in one arm, and held my hand with the other. We walked down that long street and I could not have been happier.

I don't remember anything else from that day. Just like with my parents, I took care of my grandmother until she died.

They all took care of me growing up, and it was my turn, my duty, to do the same for them....so that is what I did. With love and admiration, I held their hands into the light.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:51 AM

I know someone who thinks it's odd when I talk about my parents a lot. (Especially in a "positive light.")...It's true that I had some "rough times" growing-up. Everything wasn't a "bed of roses" or "peachy keen" all the time...But through the years I worked hard to patch things up and "heal" and forgive my parents. And my parents worked hard too!..We gave each other a "fresh start" at some point and I'm sure glad!...I grew-up in a family of "storytellers" and my close friends are this way too...In our culture we share "tales" from our past. (This is the "norm.")...Some of the stories are funny. Some involve sadness. And we talk about what we learned from our loved ones and our experiences in life in general...To me this is the way to grow "close." (As a friendship "deepens" and "expands" over time.) Why wouldn't we want to hear stories and learn more about each other's family and past?...Some people talk about leaving the past behind. But why close the door on our "roots" and memories and the "stepping stones" that helped create who we are today?...I guess it's hard for some people to talk about their past because they don't want to expose themselves to a lot of painful memories. They want to keep most of it "blocked-out" as a form of self-protection. And this is okay...But it's not fair to attack people who do feel comfortable talking about their past. How do you feel about it?...One of my former friends tried to "silence me" and handed me lectures about putting the past behind me one month after my husband died. Go figure!

Old 09-29-2012, 11:24 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
Quote:
I know someone who thinks it's odd when I talk about my parents a lot. (Especially in a "positive light.")...It's true that I had some "rough times" growing-up. Everything wasn't a "bed of roses" or "peachy keen" all the time...But through the years I worked hard to patch things up and "heal" and forgive my parents. And my parents worked hard too!..We gave each other a "fresh start" at some point and I'm sure glad!...I grew-up in a family of "storytellers" and my close friends are this way too...In our culture we share "tales" from our past. (This is the "norm.")...Some of the stories are funny. Some involve sadness. And we talk about what we learned from our loved ones and our experiences in life in general...To me this is the way to grow "close." (As a friendship "deepens" and "expands" over time.) Why wouldn't we want to hear stories and learn more about each other's family and past?...Some people talk about leaving the past behind. But why close the door on our "roots" and memories and the "stepping stones" that helped create who we are today?...I guess it's hard for some people to talk about their past because they don't want to expose themselves to a lot of painful memories. They want to keep most of it "blocked-out" as a form of self-protection. And this is okay...But it's not fair to attack people who do feel comfortable talking about their past. How do you feel about it?...One of my former friends tried to "silence me" and handed me lectures about putting the past behind me one month after my husband died. Go figure!
Wow, she was disturbed to do that. Something seriously wrong with someone who'd do that to anyone, let alone a grieving person. I don't get when people act unkind to someone who's been traumatized through loss or whatever. And, people giving others advise or making a clique' statement after a loss that can be downright dumb. An "I'm sorry" is enough or help the person with a meal or something you can do for them, but no need to tell someone else what they "should" be doing based on one's own perspective. Grief is serious business and it goes down the way it does for each individually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning