Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 01:27 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,570,310 times

Advertisements

Our two oldest children are daughters who were born August 25th and August 27th, three years apart, so when they were younger, they'd often share birthday parties. When they were about 9 and 12 (1985-ish), they decided to have a joint birthday slumber party outside in tents, so they each invited 4 close friends. We lived on 5 wooded acres in the mountains west of Colorado Springs. We set up the tents about 20 yards from the house, and the girls enjoyed an evening of pizza, cake and ice cream followed by dancing and giggling to music in our garage ~~ Van Halen's "Jump" was a big hit ~~ and they finally turned in about midnight with the older girls in one tent and the younger ones in the other. About 12:30, my husband snuck down the hill to the tents, and purposely crunched along the dirt to the tents. The girls heard him, and we could hear them whispering, "Did you hear that?" "What is it?" "Are there bears up here?" Bob walked around the tents, slowly and deliberately, and we could hear the girls shuffling and getting scared. I was stifling laughs from up on the deck (the nights are silent and voices carry), and after about 5 minutes the girls were really panicked, but they wouldn't upen the zippers of the tents. Finally Bob scratched on one of the tents, and the girls jumped and screamed. Well, that set off the other tent and the all the girls were jumping up, hitting their heads on the roof of the tent, trying to get out, and screaming. Finally, Bob opened up one flap and yelled "Raarraahh!!" and they REALLY screamed!! When they realized it was him, he started laughing, and they started hitting him in mock anger and saying, "You scared us so much!!!" but they were laughing, too. They had a couple more birthday slumber parties the following years, and each time they waited for Bob to scare them again, and when they least expected it, he did. Now that both girls have girls of their own about that age, they've told them the story of Grandpa and the "bear in the woods". I wish he could have lived to play the bear for his granddaughters...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 02:00 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,187,808 times
I just got a good chuckle from the bear story, Marcy. I was picturing it in my mind. Yeah, Bob would've loved to have played that on your gdaughters too.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:15 AM

With Christmas fast approaching, I thought of one year my hubby really out did himself....

I opened the wrapped package and there was the cutest "elf" teddy bear. I loved it and was just hugging it and laughing when hubby told me to look closer....there around it's neck was a diamond necklace! Then I looked at it's ears..... diamond earrings!!! OMG.

He always loved to do the unexpected and was so great at making gifts a treat to open. One year a ring was in last box of a series of boxes that I had to open to get to it. Like Russian nesting dolls.

Last year he was too sick to be "funny" and just had my ring shipped. He was too sick to shop so he bought me a ring from tv with his handy-dandy plastic. He did good, a beautiful ruby and diamond antique setting ring.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:23 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,313,634 times
I enjoy all of your stories! Of course we want to keep the memories of our loved ones "alive!" What would we do without our special memories?...My birthday falls on Thanksgiving every 4 years or so. As a kid I always thought of Thanksgiving as my birthday too!...My husband said "happy birthday" to me off and on the night before my birthday and all day long right on my birthday...The next day he'd wish me a happy day after my birthday and extend my celebration time!...My parents always bought me a new bathrobe for my birthday. And my husband carried on the "bathrobe tradition" after my parents died...I'm a "fuzzy-wuzzy" and I've always loved bathrobes! Maybe I'll be able to hear my husband wish me "happy birthday" if I quiet my mind and listen closely! Hope so!.. He sure loved wishing me "happy birthday! He was cute!

Old 11-21-2012, 08:53 AM

My daughter's b'day falls on Thanksgiving about every 4 years too, CA! She's the 27th.

I LOVE fuzzy wuzzy too. I love bathrobes and pj's that make me feel like a kid again.

Funny you should wonder if you could hear your hubby if you quieted your mind enough.....just a little while ago I "heard" Earl singing happy b'day to me even though it's far from my b'day. It's the only recording I have of his voice so that's what I hear. I heard it in my head, not my phone. It was lovely to listen to even if it's not my b'day.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:33 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,313,634 times
tamiznluv...Your daughter and I share the same birthday date!...I don't have any plans for my birthday. But a long time family friend is taking me out for lunch today for Thanksgiving and my birthday (together in one shot!).. I'm grateful because I am sick of cooking and sick of eating my own food day after day!...Tomorrow I'll spend Thanksgiving with a local friend and her family. What are your plans?...Great that you heard Earl sing "happy birthday" to you! I hear my husband and son say "good job" to me once in awhile (now) when I forget to reward myself...Also I hear my son say "GM" at times..He used to send me friendly texts in the morning and he shortened "good morning" to "GM!"...He'd say: "Hi Mims! GM! I love you. Hope you have a nice day!" (Or something like this!)

Old 11-21-2012, 12:33 PM

The "kid" I sold Earl's truck to called yesterday to ask me to dinner for tomorrow but I declined the invite. I have my day kind of all planned out. I want to eat my makeshift dinner and just have a quiet day. They have a 7 month old baby and a houseful of people so quiet is what I'd prefer. It does make me feel good that he called to ask though. That was so kind of him (them). LOL, I plan on getting hammered on my egg nog that has rum, whiskey, bourbon and brandy in it!!!! I got hooked on it from my mother, I got the neighbors hooked on it last year.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:07 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,266,592 times
So give us the recipe and maybe it will become a favorite holiday tradition for all of us, hmmmmm????? I love a good egg nog but I've never been able to conjure up the recipe for the best egg nog in the world that I had when I was about 20. I am still looking and taking entries.

I told the story somewhere about the Christmas with my first husband's family where about noon we thought Mawmaw had suffered a stroke and all of us went flying en masse to the ER. It was so awful - she was stumbling about and drooling a little and lost a lot of language - what a thing to happen on Christmas, right? Holiday tragedy in the making.

Mawmaw not suffering a stroke at all - she was blitzed on rum I'd used for my sweet potatoes. Every single year of this world I remember that Christmas - my ex and I still giggle about it. Believe it or not, it's turned into a favorite holiday story and one that is being passed down even as we speak.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
So give us the recipe and maybe it will become a favorite holiday tradition for all of us, hmmmmm????? I love a good egg nog but I've never been able to conjure up the recipe for the best egg nog in the world that I had when I was about 20. I am still looking and taking entries.

I told the story somewhere about the Christmas with my first husband's family where about noon we thought Mawmaw had suffered a stroke and all of us went flying en masse to the ER. It was so awful - she was stumbling about and drooling a little and lost a lot of language - what a thing to happen on Christmas, right? Holiday tragedy in the making.

Mawmaw not suffering a stroke at all - she was blitzed on rum I'd used for my sweet potatoes. Every single year of this world I remember that Christmas - my ex and I still giggle about it. Believe it or not, it's turned into a favorite holiday story and one that is being passed down even as we speak.
LOL, Sam, I don't make the nog, I buy it!

Love MawMaw's story! Thanks for sharing.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:46 PM

With Earl and I working for the same company, when we became a couple, we both still got our 25lb. turkey from the company. They were "special" turkeys, free range and hormone free. They always came with directions and one time I followed the directions....I put a couple of strips of bacon over the breast. OMG, the worst turkey I ever cooked. Everything tasted like bacon and so salty?? Yuck. The Christmas turkey was much better...cooked my normal way and got rave reviews from the out-laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning