Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 05:50 AM

2,438 posts, read 7,019,771 times

Advertisements

So sorry for your loss Smilin. I can appreciate how you are feeling. I lost me mother over 7 days ago and can understand what you are saying. She hasnt been gone over a week and a lot of people are trying to close the chapter on her life in less then a week. It has been extremly hard on me....

The one thing I have noticed is the world has become or has been callous when it comes to things of this nature. Unfortunatly for us "corporate" America deems it necessary that we keep moving on even though we are not ready to move on. Fortunatly for me I was able to take time off to deal with my mother's loss but my brother was not. He had to go back to work the very same day she left us and has been working since then.

I also have realized that nothing or nobody can make me happy and that I have to do it on my own. I am currently struggling to get myself out of a deep set funk and not sure how to do it. My father has been no help as he was not in our life the last 30 years and is trying to hurry the process so that he can get his money back that my mother was recieving from him due to their marriage (they seperated but never divorced) since they had been together for so long. It really hasnt been nice. She left us with no notice as she was not sick or showed any sign of being sick. Just here today and gone tomorrow. It has been heck on me.

I hope you are able to get yourself out of the funk as I will also try to get my self out of it. Please take care of yourself and maybe finding a place to volunteer would be great for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 02:01 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,235,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post
So sorry for your loss Smilin. I can appreciate how you are feeling. I lost me mother over 7 days ago and can understand what you are saying. She hasnt been gone over a week and a lot of people are trying to close the chapter on her life in less then a week. It has been extremly hard on me....

The one thing I have noticed is the world has become or has been callous when it comes to things of this nature. Unfortunatly for us "corporate" America deems it necessary that we keep moving on even though we are not ready to move on. Fortunatly for me I was able to take time off to deal with my mother's loss but my brother was not. He had to go back to work the very same day she left us and has been working since then.

I also have realized that nothing or nobody can make me happy and that I have to do it on my own. I am currently struggling to get myself out of a deep set funk and not sure how to do it. My father has been no help as he was not in our life the last 30 years and is trying to hurry the process so that he can get his money back that my mother was recieving from him due to their marriage (they seperated but never divorced) since they had been together for so long. It really hasnt been nice. She left us with no notice as she was not sick or showed any sign of being sick. Just here today and gone tomorrow. It has been heck on me.

I hope you are able to get yourself out of the funk as I will also try to get my self out of it. Please take care of yourself and maybe finding a place to volunteer would be great for you.
My condolences to you, SATX. I hope you find a way out of the funk soon. I don't have any answers except God helped me. I'm so sorry that your brother could not get even one day off! WTH? Even McDonald's let me take a week off (unpaid of course). What kind of company is that? Heartless, I'd say. Come here and vent any time you want. I know this place has helped me immensely. Good people. (((HUGS)))

Old 10-01-2012, 04:51 PM

379 posts, read 535,250 times
So sorry for your loss SATX. I lost my mother first, then my dad, then my husband 6 months ago today.

We are all going through the same thing and I have found wonderful support, love and understanding from this group. Please let us know how you are doing, we are all here for each other. We all care.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:51 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,223,007 times
I am sorry for the loss of your mother, SATX. A mother's love is unconditional and it can never be replaced.

This word called, "grief" is really hard on us all. I did not cry for several days, today I took my first walk around the block without my husband, and I started crying as I was walking but quickly made myself stop. I never expected to be bombarded by "grief". I believe grief is a process, a bag of mixed emotions. I remember when my mother died, I would come home from work and just cry so loud the whole street could hear me. I sobbed and screamed for months but I was working all day, so I wasn't able to display sadness. I remember the company I worked for gave me five days off and they paid me. Those were the days companies were good to their employees, it was a fortune 500 company, that has since moved to Mexico.

Currently, I am attending a grief group with Hospice. They explain grief and what to expect.

Tngirl205, I am so sorry for your losses. Hugs to you.

My heart and sympathy goes out to all of you that have posted or have read our posts, who have lost a loved one.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:38 PM

676 posts, read 1,263,105 times
Within a 2 and half year time span, I lost my dad and 2 friends. What I found out is some of the people you think will be there for you aren't, but some will pleasantly surprise you.

With your dad and your former best friend, are you usually the one that's there for them? Some people are able to reciprocate when the other person is in their time of need. But some people can't handle the role reversal at all. That's what completely shocked me when I experienced my grief. As well as grief anxiety due to family estrangement more recently. Some people that you've gone the extra mile for and been there for will turn their backs on you when you need them the most. It's very upsetting. But they really weren't people you could count on anyway. These people are so selfish, they can't handle not being the one who gets attention and consolation. Limit contact with them and don't go out of your way for them.

I'm sorry you had to go through that in addition to losing your husband, which is painful enough as it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning