Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 02:13 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,187,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
I am at a loss for words.

Not to make matters worse but I am offended, and I didn't even know him.
What a callous, unkind statement! I probably would have said "F Y" to that person!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 02:30 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,630,018 times
I want to round you all up, cook you dinner, and share our stories. It's a sucky club, but only the members truly understand. Even then, we all have different experiences. Sharing these "dumbisms" helps sometimes, and hopefully those who read them won't repeat them.

After our 48 year-old mom was killed, an elderly woman we never met came to my sister and me after the service. She took our hands and said she knew exactly how we felt because the same thing just happened to her. Her 90 year-old mother died in her sleep. Ummm....not exactly the same, lady, but thanks for playing!

I have come to love these people who say these things, though, because at least they say something, no matter how awkward they feel. So much better than those who avoid, ignore and act like they don't know. Now, THAT hurts.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:36 PM

220 posts, read 453,724 times
After reading this thread I'm not sure what I'm supposed to say now. And apparently saying nothing is also wrong.

People deal with loss in different ways, sometimes it's humor (even ill-timed poor attempts), sometimes it's withdrawal where they don't want to talk about it, sometimes it's pretending like nothing happened and going on normally. Gotta respect their attempts at being their for you and trying to relate to the situation in a personal way, even if it they completely 100% missed the mark. I don't think 95% of these stories had people with bad intentions in them.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:40 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,033,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
I want to round you all up, cook you dinner, and share our stories. It's a sucky club, but only the members truly understand. Even then, we all have different experiences. Sharing these "dumbisms" helps sometimes, and hopefully those who read them won't repeat them.

After our 48 year-old mom was killed, an elderly woman we never met came to my sister and me after the service. She took our hands and said she knew exactly how we felt because the same thing just happened to her. Her 90 year-old mother died in her sleep. Ummm....not exactly the same, lady, but thanks for playing!

I have come to love these people who say these things, though, because at least they say something, no matter how awkward they feel. So much better than those who avoid, ignore and act like they don't know. Now, THAT hurts.
"Thanks for playing" gave me a laugh. Thanks.

Yes, dinner sounds fabulous. I'll bring my famous green beans.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:42 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,033,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc chris View Post
After reading this thread I'm not sure what I'm supposed to say now. And apparently saying nothing is also wrong.

People deal with loss in different ways, sometimes it's humor (even ill-timed poor attempts), sometimes it's withdrawal where they don't want to talk about it, sometimes it's pretending like nothing happened and going on normally. Gotta respect their attempts at being their for you and trying to relate to the situation in a personal way, even if it they completely 100% missed the mark. I don't think 95% of these stories had people with bad intentions in them.
Except for one or two highly insensitive and clearly wrong comments (i.e. that it's probably for best that someone [that was completely healthy] is now dead), I think you are 100% correct.

I say, say or do whatever feels natural. Just don't say it's a good thing the person is dead. lol

Old 10-05-2012, 02:49 PM

I agree. Hugs were nice, cards were beautiful, and those who shared a memory were cherished. I tell ya- you can't go wrong with a story that begins with, "I always loved______. It might be how the person made others feel, or how they were so good at their job, or how they bragged about their kids or their spouse, etc. Also, those who shared pictures were angels.

Bottom line? Be there to listen and don't ignore the elephant and you'll do just fine.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:50 PM

P.S. I love green beans, Sunny!

Old 10-05-2012, 02:56 PM

82 posts, read 194,175 times
I was once one of those people that fumbled around with saying the "right" thing and only ended up saying the wrong thing instead. At our baby's funeral, I heard (from a couple of people), "You're young, you can always have more." I equally hated, "She's in a better place".....I didn't feel this because I felt like she should be with me. I knew what they all were trying to say and what they were trying to do and they taught me to keep my mouth shut at funerals. We are only human and it's a horrible, awkward, sad place to be so we make mistakes with our words.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:05 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times
I think I was hyper sensitive to anything. It was really mis directed rage at a situation I never expected or wanted. Years later, I realized that almost anything people said to me...I took wrong.

But yes, people can say some really insensitive things.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:13 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,536,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
I also can understand it because some people have truly never lost anyone close so they don't know what to say and can't relate but want to say something to show they care and sympathize. I take it as they're doing the best they can.
I have to agree with that. Even my husband used to say "sorry for your loss." He doesn't anymore, once he understood why it upset me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning