Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 12:48 AM

22,845 posts, read 6,437,988 times

Advertisements

When my father died in 1973 he was only 53 years old....A neightbor told my mother
"Well at least he's not in a wheelchair or something" ???????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 09:01 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
When my father died in 1973 he was only 53 years old....A neightbor told my mother
"Well at least he's not in a wheelchair or something" ???????
How insensitive! 53, that's much too young. I'm sorry for your loss, pekemom, even after all these years.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:57 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,658,747 times
"Everything happens for a reason."

Please, tell me the reason that my 10 day old nephew is dead. Lets hear about the reason that my sister, who struggled with infertility for years, finally managed to conceive and carry, and her baby was ripped from her arms. Tell me the REASONmod cut

I react differently than some here.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 07-06-2013 at 05:38 AM.. Reason: implied profanity, please refrain - I am so sorry for your loss

Old 07-09-2013, 05:16 PM

548 posts, read 1,038,472 times
My sister died at age 43 last November. I hadn't seen my sister in 6 years. But not because I didn't want to. I didn't have the money to travel to see her and she didn't have the money to travel back home. Anyway I had several people say "well you should get over this pretty fast since you hadn't seen her in so long" To this day that really gets to me. She was my only sibling and we loved each other no matter that distance. When we talked it was like we had never been apart. I also had many people ask me how she died since she was so young. I am not over losing my sister and doubt I ever will be.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:12 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,978,924 times
I've been very fortunate that most people in my life have been sensitive and kind. I did have a classmate at the Christian College I was attending pull me aside and try to tell me all the great reasons God would have taken my daughter from me.

I think the worst though was when I commented online on a story about public figures who had a stillborn child, something about how I thought that they'd held a public memorial as a way to bring people to appreciate that a very precious life had been lost. Someone responded to me something like, "your child was never alive" I suppose they could have meant "life outside the womb" which is true, but it felt very cold and dismissive.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:24 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,876,420 times
I have a few. When my 2nd husband died in 2002, his ex-wife wanted to come and so did my ex-husband. I was furious. His x was a lunatic who caused nothing but problems the whole time we were together (12 years) Same with my x. Then, I had other people saying to me, well, Jesus is your husband now. Don't get me wrong, I love the Lord, but that upset me. Then, my older sister, who we at one time borrowed 1,000. from, came to my door, 5 minutes after he died with her hand out and said...."you know that money you owe me? I will take that right now". My husband was just killed, no life insurance, and I had just had surgery that almost killed me, and was disabled because of it. Needless to say, we do not speak. Same after my Dad died unexpectedly on Christmas morning. She went thru his house and took everything!!! The wake and funeral were very uncomfortable for me and my kids.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:26 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,565,089 times
My beloved daughter was murdered she was nearly 21...Many people have said to me...Well, you have other children dont you?

Old 07-15-2013, 10:46 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyninfl View Post
My beloved daughter was murdered she was nearly 21...Many people have said to me...Well, you have other children dont you?
UGH. I really can't say anything to such callousness.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:53 PM

5,734 posts, read 3,252,971 times
When my mother was on her death bed, litterally in the other room just hours from death, my born-again christian cousin asked me if my mother was baptized yet. I told her she refused to be baptized after my sister and I tried to convince her before basically lost consciousness. My cousin said she was not going to heaven but hell. I really think that was insensitive of her to do so and pissed me and my sister off. This was the same cousin that excluded my mother in my Aunt's obituary when she passed away back in 06.

I consider myself religious and I know, as a Christian that all are supposed to be baptized to enter heaven, but I could not convince my mother to do so. I prayed before my Mom passed that God would look kindly on her because she was a good and generous person in life. Why couldn't my cousins at least do the same???

Old 07-16-2013, 08:00 AM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
"people die every day". From a cousin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning