Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 08:25 PM

16,828 posts, read 15,243,617 times

Advertisements

Mom passed away December 17, 2009.
Is it still ok to still be grieving for her almost 3 years later? I am not sure, and would like to ask.
I sure as heck still miss her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 09:04 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,230,064 times
Sure it is acceptable to grieve. There is no time limit on grieving. Grieving for each of us is different. May I extend to you my prayers and hugs.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:12 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,871,153 times
Feelings are neither right nor wrong -- they just ARE.

Grief doesn't come with an "off" button. Speaking with a therapist (if you're not already doing so) might help you deal with it better, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with still grieving the loss of your mother -- ever.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:19 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,889,700 times
I'm going to be honest with you, depending on how close you were to the person you lost, you should take as much time as you need.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:26 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,323,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
Mom passed away December 17, 2009.
Is it still ok to still be grieving for her almost 3 years later? I am not sure, and would like to ask.
I sure as heck still miss her.
First sorry for your loss..To answer your question...You will grieve for and miss your Mom for your whole life. The best that you can hope for is that over time...and each person is different...you may start having some fun, loving memories too. There is not a thing wrong w/ you're still feeling grief...it really is a personal experience. The smartest friends and support will understand this and never make you feel like you should be over it. Lots of helpful websites...here are just a few from a search using "grief and loss, mother" in case you'd like to check out a few more.
Death Of Mother
Loss of mother poem and article
Steps In Grieving The Loss Of A Mom | LIVESTRONG.COM

Old 10-12-2012, 10:07 PM

16,828 posts, read 15,243,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
First sorry for your loss..To answer your question...You will grieve for and miss your Mom for your whole life. The best that you can hope for is that over time...and each person is different...you may start having some fun, loving memories too. There is not a thing wrong w/ you're still feeling grief...it really is a personal experience. The smartest friends and support will understand this and never make you feel like you should be over it. Lots of helpful websites...here are just a few from a search using "grief and loss, mother" in case you'd like to check out a few more.
Death Of Mother
Loss of mother poem and article
Steps In Grieving The Loss Of A Mom | LIVESTRONG.COM

thank you for the links, I hope they will be helpful.
even though others have lost their mom, I somehow thought to myself I was the only one going through these emotions.

Old 10-12-2012, 11:35 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,279,441 times
My dad passed in 2005 and I still miss him. I don't think the pain ever goes away but as time passes, I think it just makes it easier to cope. {{hugs}} Sorry about your mum.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:12 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,603,980 times
My parents died 23 years ago, and I still think of them almost every day. There is no timetable for grief. Just as love knows no bounds, missing those we loved knows no bounds, either.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:36 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,278,576 times
My mom passed over 20 years ago and dad was 8 years this past Thursday. I still miss them both terribly. I always will until my last breath. We just learn to cope. We learn to accept this is how life is supposed to be. It sucks but it's the cold, hard facts of life. Everyone goes through it if you live long enough.

Sorry about your mom, forma. Just know that you certainly are NOT alone. (((HUGS)))

Old 10-13-2012, 12:06 PM

971 posts, read 1,460,892 times
Lots of good information and support from the previous posters on this thread.

My dad died in 1969 and I still think of him. Mom died in 1992 so I was able to help her longer than the years she raised me for which I was thankful. The grieving is less for me now and only the great memories remain. I lost my wife of 53 1/2 years 4 years ago and still think of her daily. The posters here remind me I am not alone and not abnormal. I am just taking life a day at a time but have been writing down the good parts of my memories to pass down to our three kids and 5 grandchildren which in time I will undoubtably forget. ((( HUGS to all the wonderful posters here)))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning