Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 07:36 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,402,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Avalon08...I'd love to read your Mom's book too! Can you self-publish it and market/distribute it through the Internet?..Or is it too personal?...I was going through some boxes today and I found some of my older son's poems and prose...He wrote satire and science fiction...I always considered his writing a bit on the cynical side. He was an "irony of life" kind of guy! Where my younger son had a tendency to be "Mr. Positive!"...I'm probably a little of both!...Anyway I'd love to read your Mom's account of growing-up in a large Irish Catholic family! My Mom was Irish and Catholic too!
You know, I've thought about that, but have no idea how to do it! I really think my Mom's book is great -- of course, I'm biased -- but I'm flattered and honored (and she would be too!) that you'd like to read it. Seriously, if you DM me your address, I'll make you a copy next time I'm at Staples and mail it to you! Meanwhile, I should look into self-publishing....if my goofy neighbor could self-publish some haunted murder mystery, I can do it too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 06:41 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,314,426 times
Avalon08...I think you should look into publishing your Mom's book. I'm sure they can help you at Staples. You can make good copies yourself and use a spiral-binding kit..You can design the front cover. (And use heavier cardstock for the front and back covers.)...Maybe you can create an "introduction page" with a short "bio" about your Mom. And even include photos if you want!...But it's all up to you!. Good luck whatever you decide to do!...I'll send you a DM with my address. Thanks for sending me a copy when it's convenient. Can't wait to read your Mom's book and stories! YEA!

Old 10-28-2012, 06:51 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,383,410 times
The best gift death has given me is that each day is one step closer to your own death.
Another thing it has taught me is that life is highly overrated and the navigation of such is something that is mandatory like having to take required classes in high school and college.

Once you get through it you can then go on to graduate.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:55 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times
Death taught me one thing. That there is no such thing as death with dignity- That death is to be avoided at all cost. That we must protect all others from death to the best of our ability and that there is NOTHING positive about death. The fear of it will lower the quality of life. The only thing death may have taught me was not to fear it.

Some gather by the dying - they sit at the bed side of those in the process of leaving this world...Myself- I don't want to watch anyone take their last breath- I avoid those moments...I will visit you but I do not want to be there for the END...The only death I want to witness is my own...cos I feel so sorry for the dying...it;s just too heart breaking- no one wants to leave this heaven...

Recently my mother in law passed away...She had no fear what so ever and was warned by doctors that after being taken off the kidney machine...she would be dead in about 10 days...She said to the doctor..."So you want me to commit suicide?" That is exactly what they wanted..because she could not endure an amputation she opted for suicide through the refusal of more life extending treatments- She finally said no to science.

So she was fully aware of what was to come...Her last words were - "Jesus- how long are you going to drag thing thing out?" It took a long time- The young woman her grand daughters and there are a few of them- came and tended the body....it was very old fashioned...actually it is the living that grant dignity to the dying- though love... I guess that is what I really learned - Love does conquer death...There was serous love around that death bed....pure and honest.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:21 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times
To be fully honest- all of us have terror run through are hearts at the thought of oblivion...of not existing anymore...of being gone for eternity. Sure I can say I have no fear or doubt- I am a liar...Put the angelic quality aside and look at the animal part of being a human being- Once you age you are like a dog- and you get comfortable with the idea of death- because the way we are devices nature will remove the fear near the end....as for GOD- not one human being has ever reported back from the other side... The best we can hope for is mercy and love from the eternal force .....Dear God go easy on me at the end- cos' I an like a little child and I am afraid of the dark....The angelic part of the human may continue....if not- amen- the gift of being born and living a life span in this world- is something I am thankful for....IT IS A DIVINE AND WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE....I love the fact that I got to come here....THANK YOU......

Speaking to this 97 year old man the other day- I asked him "How did you stay alive for so long?" He said - that every day he asks for ONE MORE DAY - just one more...every day you get is a sign of mercy and love...again - the one thing I learned about death- is what a miracle it is to live...We are in heaven and don't even know it.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:24 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,314,426 times
About kids...My younger son always "stuck around." He was a "family guy!"...But my older son went out into the world on his "own" and didn't "look back" or stay in touch very often...His "world" fell apart the year before he died. His wife asked for a divorce. And he lost his high-status and high-paying job in the dot.com field and couldn't find a comparable job. (He was laid-off due to a merger.)...Anyway he came back into our lives as the "prodigal son." He said he missed us!...I'm glad we had that last year together before he died... I sure miss both of my sons and wish they were still "here." (With me!)

Old 10-30-2012, 07:17 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
If the person has lead a long life then I tend to celebrate that life. I just learned tho that a friend who is 63 has terminal cancer;that will be a different story. Death of younger people tend to be harder to take overall ;IMO.Postive things;lived for today because you never know when you will die;basically.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:31 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
I found out that grief has a beautiful aspect that I never knew existed - it teaches us gratitude and appreciation.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:39 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I found out that grief has a beautiful aspect that I never knew existed - it teaches us gratitude and appreciation.
That is so very true, Kathryn.

I like your name, just how Mom spelled it.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:15 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,876,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
So very true, Kathryn. Spelled the same as my middle name, always wished it was my first name
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning