Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 03:06 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times

Advertisements

I just read and commented on a link about clapping at the end of movies in the entertainment forum adn it got me to thinking.
It has been years since I have needed to go to a funeral and the last one I attended was for a neighbor. I grew up next to and had played with his kids for 20 years. We were in a catholic church and his brother delivered a terrific eulogy that had us laughing and remembering what a character his brother was. He really did a great job.
At the end of the eulogy I felt like clapping and almost did and I wish I had not just for the brother's words but for the life and memories that the deceased had left us. It seemed weird we all just sat there in the pews and the funeral went on.
Would it have been wrong to stand and clap for the deceased? Even though it was a stuffy catholic church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 03:45 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,670,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I just read and commented on a link about clapping at the end of movies in the entertainment forum adn it got me to thinking.
It has been years since I have needed to go to a funeral and the last one I attended was for a neighbor. I grew up next to and had played with his kids for 20 years. We were in a catholic church and his brother delivered a terrific eulogy that had us laughing and remembering what a character his brother was. He really did a great job.
At the end of the eulogy I felt like clapping and almost did and I wish I had not just for the brother's words but for the life and memories that the deceased had left us. It seemed weird we all just sat there in the pews and the funeral went on.
Would it have been wrong to stand and clap for the deceased? Even though it was a stuffy catholic church.
I've seen it happen a few times at wakes. It's probably not appropriate in a house of worship though.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:47 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,192,866 times
Some people may have understood, but there would have been some that thought that you were clapping for the guy that gave the eulogy. You clap for a performance. That's not quite what is fitting for a furneral of someone else. It would have been misunderstood.

I don't think you would have wanted that.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:31 PM

797 posts, read 1,344,994 times
Although many Catholic Churchs allow eulogies at the funeral mass, most priests believe the WAKE is the place for eulogies and the funeral mass is the somber religous event.

I share that line of thought also.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:42 PM

797 posts, read 1,344,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
It is your perogative to call the church your frinds dad CHOSE as ....." stuffy"

I would not out of respect for my friends-----------( whether it was a Muslim mosque or a Jewish synagogue either)

Old 02-17-2013, 11:54 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,539,949 times
I just went to a memorial service this past Saturday. The service was held in a non-denominational church.

Most of the time we sat there quiet after someone stood and remembered our friend. When her daughter-in-law spoke, and made us laugh, we applauded her when she was done. She broke the ice that was hanging over us.

The funniest thing was that the guy officiating was "...not a priest, and was NOT long-winded..." but he droned on for almost a half hour after everyone else finished talking. He went on about some bible verses and started discussing how these passages reflected his own life.
About 20 minutes into this someone actually said, "Do you mind? Bring it back to "C". This is about her life, not yours. We are not here for a Sunday school class." (We all felt like clapping here, but just nodded and agreed - aloud - with her thinking.)
He looked dumbfounded for about 30 seconds and quickly wrapped up his thoughts and gave the final prayer.

Granted, this was a memorial and a celebration of life rather than an actual funeral. However, I've attended funerals in the past few years where clapping has happened at some and not others.
I think it all depends on the people involved.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:59 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,577,808 times
People clap at church weddings when the couple are introduced as Mr. & Mrs. So-and-so. Maybe because I'm not Catholic I don't understand the difference between a funeral mass and a funeral service in Protestant churches, but I think if you're celebrating the person's life; laughing, remembering and enjoying the eulogies, I don't see why people don't clap if it feels natural. Maybe others wanted to clap, too, but were hesitant because it's not a common thing to do.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:11 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,461,711 times
Not Catholic so can not speak to what is and is not acceptable, but I know that when my time comes, I pray that all those who attend laugh, remember, and celebrate all the wonderful life experiences and love that God has allowed me to receive/experience.
I want my service to be a HAPPY time, as I KNOW I am moving forward , and I want others to KNOW my confidence that life on this side is but kindergarten to the new life we are born into as we pass this one.

If someone made you smile, remember wonderful times, gave you a little glimpse into all the wonder and happiness of the departed, feel free to clap and thank them!

Old 02-18-2013, 05:53 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,034,538 times
It has not been appropriate during a church service in some of the more mainline denominations, but now I notice, for example, that people clap at the end of a marriage ceremony sometimes. I assume that those who attend the some of the churches in which there is hooping, hollering and arm waving like the more fundimentalist churches, would have no problem with clapping in church.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:46 AM

18,531 posts, read 18,765,230 times
OH I want the full works. dancing in the aisles like Dirty Dancing, singing and smiles when I go... no stuffy nonsense for me....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning